HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Ok forgive me for sounding like a fool here but I noticed on TV tonight that huge gap in the bowl in the one corner which looks kind of silly. Can someone here explain why that was done? Its been bothering me since the day I saw it in a rendering.
Wind tunnel. Allows the wind blowing from the south a place to exit and not get trapped under the overhang. Without it the place would turn into a big wind sail and cause air to swirl around the field and the stands.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 5:40 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Wind tunnel. Allows the wind blowing from the south a place to exit and not get trapped under the overhang. Without it the place would turn into a big wind sail and cause air to swirl around the field and the stands.
I see. I understand it and it makes sense but man you gotta think they'd be able to find a solution to keep the roofline contiguous and ensure that air currents are taken care of
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 1:19 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
So no NFL game for Mosaic, but Garth Brooks will have 2 shows for sure (Boise a similar sized city has 2 and the tickets are cheap). The Heritage classic plus probably Pats game means a decent year for Mosaic, especially if the Riders can host a playoff game.
Deleted.

Last edited by Spocket; Jul 7, 2019 at 1:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 3:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I see. I understand it and it makes sense but man you gotta think they'd be able to find a solution to keep the roofline contiguous and ensure that air currents are taken care of
The gap is the solution. There are no seats or roof in the south end zone as that is where expansion seating would go for big events, so there’e a potential for a lot of wind to come through. The design of the stadium goes further, with the cold, northern winds being blocked in the winter, while the southern winds of the summer are allowed through, to cool off the crowd.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:06 PM

The NHL Heritage Classic tomorrow is going to be a big test of the stadium's wind blocking design. Cold temps and winds gusting to 70K should make it interesting. The wind will be from the NW, which I would suggest is the best direction for the stadium design. With the sunken bowl and wind-deflecting roof, it should be decent at ice level. The winds will likely swirl somewhat in parts of the stadium.

I will be dressing like its January.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The NHL Heritage Classic tomorrow is going to be a big test of the stadium's wind blocking design. Cold temps and winds gusting to 70K should make it interesting. The wind will be from the NW, which I would suggest is the best direction for the stadium design. With the sunken bowl and wind-deflecting roof, it should be decent at ice level. The winds will likely swirl somewhat in parts of the stadium.

I will be dressing like its January.
I think that’s the exact type of wind the stadium was designed for. Too bad the game didn’t have today’s weather forecast (16 degrees).

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:58 PM

Looking on the Ticketmaster site, there are fewer tickets available than I would have thought. While almost every section has tickets avaiable, there aren't 100's availabe in any single section, most seem to have 10 - 60 seats still available. The weather may limit the actual attendance, though.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 8:49 PM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 5:58 AM

Last night's TV broadcast of the Heritage Classic had some excellent aerial shots of the stadium, like this one. I'm curious why we dont get these same shots for TSN broadcasts of CFL games at Mosaic (TSN gives aerial views of stadiums for games in all other CFL cities)?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...itage-classic/

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
Last night's TV broadcast of the Heritage Classic had some excellent aerial shots of the stadium, like this one. I'm curious why we dont get these same shots for TSN broadcasts of CFL games at Mosaic (TSN gives aerial views of stadiums for games in all other CFL cities)?
I have noticed current changes (within the last couple of years) to downtown areas of CFL cities are often not seen in TSN's aerial views. I think TSN must use older "stock" clips in many cases, so aerial views of the current stadium might not be available to them.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 12:48 PM

^ TSN definitely uses older clips of cities... it's only because there has been a decent amount of construction in downtown Winnipeg in the last few years that it's now obvious when they're using a clip from 10 years ago or whatever.

The only time they use aerial footage for CFL games so far as I can recall is for the Grey Cup. Which makes sense, they use it for big events. You don't get aerial footage of the venue for a normal regular season hockey game... I think they did it a few times during Jets playoff games to show the magnitude of the crowds that gathered to watch, but that's still the exception.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:56 PM

One of the coolest sporting experiences I've done.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 2:20 PM

Sportsnet uses clips of Winnipeg that are obviously numeouros years old. One they show CMHR still under construction, and it's been 5 years or so. I would assume they just do stock shoots every once in a while.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Thanks for posting those awesome pictures, WPG GUY. Could you please re-post this to the Mosaic Stadium thread? It was an awesome event for everyone. Great to hear such nice things afterward. And of course, The Jets won!!

Regina did a fantastic job as host of the Winter Classic!

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 6:22 PM

Awesome pictures! Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 11:11 PM

Thanks for re-posting this, Wpg Guy. Much appreciated. Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 12:54 AM

Another excellent picture set Wpg_Guy

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 7:11 AM

Quote:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...itage-classic/
My wish came partly true, with some footage of downtown Regina to open the Sask-Edmonton TSN broadcast yesterday. Maybe for the West Final we'll see the stadium from above.

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2639/edmont...ders/#/preview

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
My wish came partly true, with some footage of downtown Regina to open the Sask-Edmonton TSN broadcast yesterday. Maybe for the West Final we'll see the stadium from above.

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2639/edmont...ders/#/preview
Wish we had some new buildings being constructed downtown.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Wish we had some new buildings being constructed downtown.
I saw this image (in previous post) during the game yesterday and thought "yup, there's snow, so this must be from today" but upon examining this image here in SSP I noticed that The Gardens on Rose as well as Centre Square Place are not yet completed, so this image must be what? 4 or 5 years old?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan