HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulopolis View Post
Thanks, that one has flown under the radar. There is so much new development planned in that vicinity, if it all gets built it will be another Union Station in terms of apartment units and office space.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 7:55 PM

If you scroll though the photos on the Blake Street Mine's website it shows one with a large root top terrace. That green roof inactive is doing great things!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 1:21 AM

I saw there was a jib crane near the tower with the green roof off speer near cherry creek country club. Anyone know whats going up there??

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:19 AM

Here is the first decent drawing I've seen of the Hyatt Centric Hotel planned at 18th and Champa. Construction is planned to start before the end of the year. 14 stories, 173 feet tall, 263 rooms, 0 parking spaces:

Interestingly, all the meeting space, including an outdoor event space, and the fitness room are on the 14th floor.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
Here is the first decent drawing I've seen of the Hyatt Centric Hotel planned at 18th and Champa. Construction is planned to start before the end of the year. 14 stories, 173 feet tall, 263 rooms, 0 parking spaces:

Interestingly, all the meeting space, including an outdoor event space, and the fitness room are on the 14th floor.
Hyatt Centric was introduced in Chicago in 2015.

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/brand...t-centric.html
Quote:
Hyatt Centric is a brand of full-service lifestyle hotels located in prime destinations. Created for millennial-minded travelers who want to be in the middle of the action, Hyatt Centric hotels are thoughtfully designed to enable exploration and discovery.

The lobby lounge is a launch pad providing guests with information about the most sought after food, nightlife and activities the destination has to offer, sourced from a community of “in the know” local explorers. The bar and restaurant are local hot spots where great conversations, locally inspired food and signature cocktails can be enjoyed.
According to Thomas Gounley/BusinessDen
Quote:
The plan bears the name of Chris Morosetti, chief investment officer at Magna. A woman who answered the phone at Magna’s office said Morosetti doesn’t talk to reporters, and that no one else at the company was available for comment.

“We don’t comment on anything,” she said.
They (supposedly) payed a high $ per Sq Ft for the site which suggests they had funding looking for a good site already identified. Magna, based in Rhode Island had previously acquired the Hampton Inn & Suites at 1845 Sherman St. in 2016. Perhaps delighted with that investment they had potential investor(s) who liked the centrally located site and story for doing this development. Their Hyatt branded life-style hotel could be their Ace in the Hole.

I give it:

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Did a nice long lunch on my bike yesterday through RiNo and checked out all of the different sites:

Camden Rino:

Really fun trip photo report.

Seems like that Camden RiNo is taking forever. Camden, a really big REIT builds a good product and I assume this is their one obligatory project for downtown. They've also built several suburban projects.

Your "refresher" video provided a nice overhead perspective as an add-on to your photo venture.

Being familiar with that area I always enjoy a good summary trip down memory lane. CORRECTION: this is an area I used to know, long time ago when I'd park along or just off Brighton Blvd for Rockies games.

City Council approves a vision for both development and preservation of Loretto Heights
September 19, 2019 By Donna Bryson/Denverite
Quote:
More than 40 people signed up to make comments Monday night. That and earlier feedback illustrated how strongly many in Denver feel about the area and about the hilltop educational campus at its heart.

Preserving and respecting buildings, including a theater, of the Loretto Heights Academy, established by nuns more than a century ago, has been a chief concern of City Councilman Kevin Flynn.
So what does the future look like?
Quote:
Westside’s developer, ACM, is proposing a walkable neighborhood of businesses and single- and multi-family homes, including 68 units in what was once a dormitory that will be sold at below-market prices. Witkiewicz told council members Monday that more affordable housing was planned...

Only Councilwoman Candi CdeBaca ... voted no Monday. CdeBaca had had sharp questions about whether Hispanic community members had been adequately consulted.
My question for Candi CdeBaca would be after a series of well-attended public meetings, how many did you attend? Any of them?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 3:51 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Speaking of RiNo developments, Carmel Partners has broken ground on their development at 3301 Brighton Blvd that's called Carmel Drivetrain. Not too much information on this 400-odd unit development, but I found this rendering:

I really like the warehouse throwback of this design as a nod to the area - kind of like the Edison Apts but more refined and less confused. Rino and Cherry Creek seem to be the two places generating the most architecturally interesting development along with the most creative uses. I'm really impressed with the mix of uses, both in terms of area dev/redev and vertical mix within some new properties.

Rino has seen everything from intense industrial redevelopment to new multifamily, office, hotel, retail, restaurant space, concert venue, townhomes, container bldgs, breweries, and gas stations - even an old church was redeveloped into office/retail - it's fantastic. Development up there runs the whole spectrum and at some point, it's going to be a really impressive neighborhood once built out. I hope someone can activate the lot north of Edison Apts that the Gordon's had planned for some waterfront for-sale housing - that would really round out the neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:53 PM

The city struck down a 3 story main street rezoning along Sheridan (2-10) because Sheridan has too steep of a slope and the street is too dangerous for pedestrians, so why bother making it pedestrian friendly. I want to say we've reached peak NIMBY, but we've only just begun to see what this new city council is capable of justifying.

On another, very depressing note, "people in the know" say that if the Front Range growth cap gets on the ballot, it's guaranteed to pass.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 5:16 PM

That is quite depressing. And is there anything to stop it from reaching the ballot? Just a matter of signatures? I feel like I’m living in San Francisco in the 90s, and I don’t see a course correction on the horizon. If SF-level exclusion, NIMBYism and unaffordability are indeed inevitable, then what are the greener pastures for a sun and snow loving urbanite?

And regarding the Sheridan proposal, what does the slope have to do with anything? Hong Kong and Seattle have slopes, but that doesn’t stop buildings taller than two stories from getting built there.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
On another, very depressing note, "people in the know" say that if the Front Range growth cap gets on the ballot, it's guaranteed to pass.
And how would these people "know"? Do they have internal polling data that suggests support for this would get it across the finish line if it's on the ballot?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:55 PM

Out of curiosity, what is the current approximate growth rate for the Front Range? Also, what stretch of Sheridan in Denver is so steep? The only somewhat steep stretches I can think of are in Wheat Ridge and in the Bear Creek area. Is this near Loretto Heights?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
The city struck down a 3 story main street rezoning along Sheridan (2-10) because Sheridan has too steep of a slope and the street is too dangerous for pedestrians, so why bother making it pedestrian friendly. I want to say we've reached peak NIMBY, but we've only just begun to see what this new city council is capable of justifying.

Was that proposal on a corner? That's the only sliver of logic that comes to my mind... but a three-story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
That is quite depressing. And is there anything to stop it from reaching the ballot? Just a matter of signatures?
There will be the obligatory legal challenges which are likely to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
And how would these people "know"? Do they have internal polling data that suggests support for this would get it across the finish line if it's on the ballot?
Only thing that crossed my mind would be an argument that All Counties are different and should be able to determine for themselves what is best. Whether that would be a winning point, I dunno.

Interestingly, according to laniroj some projects are stalled due to investment return concerns. This 'limitation' to development could potentially move projects forward figuring the economics would improve.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:37 PM

The Sheridan rezoning proposal was on the east side between 16th and 17th. It was going to be 2 stories on one end and 3 on the other due to the slope.

The only way to stop the ballot measure is to make sure it doesn't get enough signatures. The current growth rate of the Front Range is about 2%, so it will essentially bake in an allowance for half the necessary housing to be built to account for growth. I'm still waiting for Denver to sue Lakewood, which is not going to happen, so any legal challenges would probably have to come from the state or federal level. I'd like to see a civil right like movement outlawing housing restrictive zoning and laws.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see a civil right like movement outlawing housing restrictive zoning and laws.
Realistically, what do you think that would look like? Is there any legal framework for a ballot measure to mandate housing diversity / zoning liberalization? (Would be great to throw parking maximums and multimodal transportation funding in there, but that may be asking too much.) Or would that just be ignored by municipalities under Home Rule doctrine?

Seems that voter referenda are the only way to get things done in this state. Wihle legislatures in Oregon, California and Massachusetts have at least attempted reform in this regard, I don't see that happening here.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:

If this passed wouldn't it consolidate development to downtown? Or would the county of Denver not be exempt from the restricted growth ?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 10:10 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
If this passed wouldn't it consolidate development to downtown? Or would the county of Denver not be exempt from the restricted growth ?
It would push growth to Pueblo. Every other city along the Front Range would be restricted by this measure.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 10:41 PM

Here is the proposed ballot language if you are interested in reading. It is only two pages:

https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/ele...0/122Final.pdf

Each city and county would be restricted to one percent growth. The law could be amended by local vote starting in 2023.

I'm sure there will be all kinds of legal challenges to it. Home rule, single topic, etc., etc.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

There will be the obligatory legal challenges which are likely to fail.
Not sure that is the case with the Colorado Supreme Court. They tend to be more liberal on these types of issues, Fees vs. taxes to avoid TABOR, for example.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
It would push growth to Pueblo. Every other city along the Front Range would be restricted by this measure.
I wonder how much Pueblo will spend helping to get this passed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
Here is the proposed ballot language if you are interested in reading. It is only two pages:

https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/ele...0/122Final.pdf
I certainly caught the gist of it; it's fairly straight forward.

The good news is that this should help Aurora to build new sprawl since they have a loads of condos and apartments. They could redirect their one percent to new housing projects near DIA.

I (still) contend that if Denver sees a nice flow of groundbreakings next year before this goes into effect that they should be in good shape for the two required years. The bugaboo would be getting Denver voters to reverse this in 2023.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 12:39 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

It’s also a statutory change, right? So the legislature could, in theory, undo it. Or at least heavily modify it (green roof style) into something less offensive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West