HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I have to admit my loyalty to McNally evaporated once they ditched Portage Place in favour of the ill fated Polo Park store.
I really wish they had not done that. When I would workout at the YMCA, I often would stop by McNally after work to browse for a half hour. After they closed, I saw no need to go through the mall.

I thought the Polo Park location did not make much sense, considering that Grant Park was relatively close, and both malls were frequented by people in Tuxedo and River Heights.

Maybe if they had opened a location in St.Vital Mall, it would have been more successful.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:20 PM

Urban Recluse! I thought you were banned?
Actually the McNally at Polo was profitable. The business just had to be contracted at that time after the catastrophic failure of their suburban Toronto location.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:27 PM

^ It's not recluse, it's another face from the past

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:34 PM
BANNED

Yes, it is great to post again.

Last edited by BlubberMiley; Sep 6, 2019 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 5:42 PM

Hey, here's a question I've wondered about: where did the Blue Bombers/Winnipeg Rugby Football Club play before they moved to Osborne stadium in 1935?

For that matter, does anyone know of any football field locations that other big rugby football teams played on? The St. John's College team, the Tammany Tigers, the Victorias, etc?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Hey, here's a question I've wondered about: where did the Blue Bombers/Winnipeg Rugby Football Club play before they moved to Osborne stadium in 1935?

For that matter, does anyone know of any football field locations that other big rugby football teams played on? The St. John's College team, the Tammany Tigers, the Victorias, etc?
Speculation on my part here, but I think Osborne Stadium was the WFC's first permanent home. It wouldn't surprise me if they were mostly itinerant before that, playing each game somewhere different... they probably would have been a pretty small time operation in those early days.

I suspect one of the histories written about the club, by Vince Leah, Bob Irving or others would probably hold the details.

As for the other clubs, I have no idea.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 7:57 PM

University of Winnipeg (and prior incarnations) had a pitch. Not sure when it was established. The aerial photo below is from 1948 and you can see the field between Portage and Ellice, as well as Osborne Stadium. The U of W field was gone a few years after this.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:37 PM

Okay thanks, everyone. It seems to make sense that they might not have had a permanent home prior to Osborne Stadium, or at least not any home that could be called a "stadium"... I would imagine in those first few years of the 1930s before the American imports and the 1935 Grey Cup win, the team probably wasn't a particularly big draw.

I'm sure they would have just played at the Wesley College field (U of W) or elsewhere like at St. John's.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 6:14 PM

Some nice photos of the Somerset building in the heritage report just posted for the next committee meeting. Love the old wire cage elevators. Anyone know of any still in service in the city?

Interesting to see the Lyceum Theatre next to it (last photo) - had forgotten about that one.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 3:41 PM

(Also posted in 300 Main thread) Happy Saturday yall, quick favor to ask. Can anyone point me towards the original 2-tower trizec rendering from back in the day? I want to compare it to the design for 300 Main
thanks!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 4:01 PM

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 3:31 PM

The Corvair and Envoy branding on the auto dealership stuck out to me. Had to look up Envoy, it was a re-badge of the GB Vauxhall.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:55 PM
Starring as himself

Slightly off topic but perhaps of interest ... We’ve started a Manitoba Postcard Collectors Forum on Facebook. Even if you don’t collect (yet), you are welcome to join. I will be posting some images from my collection, which includes thousands of historic images of Winnipeg and other Manitoba places. Other members are doing the same, hopefully.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/513652489430488

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
The Corvair and Envoy branding on the auto dealership stuck out to me. Had to look up Envoy, it was a re-badge of the GB Vauxhall.

Does anyone know if there was ever a hotel across from this Church? My wife, who's from Montreal, has an elderly aunt who visited Winnipeg many many years ago on the way to see family working up north. She said there's a beautiful Ukrainian church on "the main drag across from a holiday inn". I can only assume she means this one. Any other Ukranian churches would fit that bill?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:05 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Does anyone know if there was ever a hotel across from this Church? My wife, who's from Montreal, has an elderly aunt who visited Winnipeg many many years ago on the way to see family working up north. She said there's a beautiful Ukrainian church on "the main drag across from a holiday inn". I can only assume she means this one. Any other Ukranian churches would fit that bill?
I don’t recollect any Holiday Inns in Winnipeg before the Lakeview Square one that is now the Delta.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 1:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

never noticed this befor but the nutty clb building on portage ave east used to be taller then it is now
ignore the yellow circle thats just someone asking if that building was nutty club over on facebook if you grew up in and winnipeg and remember group

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
never noticed this befor but the nutty clb building on portage ave east used to be taller then it is now
ignore the yellow circle thats just someone asking if that building was nutty club over on facebook if you grew up in and winnipeg and remember group
Good point, looking at the facade on street view, its appears as though the main floor is much older in style than the upper floors. Perhaps is burned down to one floor and then had 2 floors build on top?

looking at that photo you posted, that side of downtown has sure seen a ton of demolitions.

here is a cool shot of the building that used to sit just West of the Nutty Club building on Pioneer Ave
https://digital.library.yorku.ca/yul...rontenac-hotel

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I don’t recollect any Holiday Inns in Winnipeg before the Lakeview Square one that is now the Delta.
Maybe the elderly woman was thinking of St. Mary's Roman Catholic cathedral across from Lakeview Square? Obviously it was never a Ukrainian church, but it may just be confusion?

I don't think there was a hotel in the vicinity of Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox cathedral on Main Street, certainly not a Holiday Inn. Now that I think of it, I don't know of any hotels located anywhere on Main Street between the Green Brier in West Kildonan, and where the string of old railway station hotels petered around Euclid Avenue.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 11:08 PM

I follow an account on FB, Vintage Winnipeg. They post historical photos of the downtown mostly. Soooooo depressing to see what used to be. I love seeing the old photos, but hate thinking what could be if everything wasn't either burned down or demolished..

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
AFAIK, Andy6 is correct. The aunt is likely thinking of St. Mary's Cathedral. Depending on your room the view of the Cathedral across the street is quite striking. Simoni Lawrence of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats posted a nice pic of the steeple that was from a room that we had been in previously or close to it. Unfortunately, it was on his Instagram Story so it is long gone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan