HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Based on the NW corner of the lot thing. I would assume the surface parking will be between the existing access/approach at the tracks, which is being maintained, and the new building.
Whatever they do I hope good design choices are made. I hate when attempts at squeezing in parking spaces end up ruining that part of the streetscape

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Based on the NW corner of the lot thing. I would assume the surface parking will be between the existing access/approach at the tracks, which is being maintained, and the new building.
Yes. It's not a *huge* parking area, maybe 30-40 stalls. And I imagine the railway setback guidelines meant they couldn't bring the building any closer to to the rail line. Hopefully they set the parking area back and screen it so we're not stuck with a streetscape characterized by a row of Tesla Model S' or whatever tech people drive.

The site plan showed the rest of Parcel 4 as parking, but of course that isn't going to be permanent.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:35 PM

Pretty sure the rail setback rules only reply to residential. I don't think there's anything preventing them from developing parkades or even commercial right up to the rail line (with enough room for access/repairs/construction of course).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 7:06 PM

The guidelines, key term, are not necessarily only for residential. But yes does focus on residential. The guidelines are not law, but can be used and enforced by municipalities if their policy is to follow the guidelines.

The guidelines are a bit arbitrary, as it uses 30m from the property line for main track operations. Secondary lines and such have different offsets. At the Forks, the property line is only a metre from the track. As opposed to a normal corridor where there is 15m from the track. Railside falls in line with the 30m setback. It also relies upon the fact that CN can not readily develop the lands the hold that are within the 30m setback. This is for the grassed areas near York, with the access roads leading up on top of the high line.

They also note you do not need to be 30m back if the building being proposed includes things such as crash walls.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:02 PM
What could go wrong?

“Tech” buildings will be happening quicker than we thought for the parcel 4 site. Tenders are out.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:09 PM
There is always a way

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
“Tech” buildings will be happening quicker than we thought for the parcel 4 site. Tenders are out.
Is surface parking part of the spec?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
I hope quality and design is at the forefront of these new buildings considering their prominent location.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:17 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Is surface parking part of the spec?
44 spaces in the triangle surface lot to the NW of the building + 16 along the rail line. The rest of the property is still surface parking by The Forks (too many spots to count).

.......soooo essentially it is the shape of the two buildings as seen earlier, and surface parking. They planted a couple of trees.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:24 PM

I can live with that. Seems unlikely to me that we could realistically expect buildings right up to the high line. Even in the good old days they left a gap between the embankment and buildings.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:32 PM
What could go wrong?

...appears to be a Timber Framed building (6 storeys)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
...appears to be a Timber Framed building (6 storeys)
So it's down to 6 storeys now? Won't be quite as impressive as originally though, but I guess at least they're moving ahead with it.

Still around 300K SF total floorspace?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:46 PM
What could go wrong?

The Timber Engineering company involved in the project.

structurecraft.com

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:59 PM

Thanks, Biff.

OK, so maybe it'll look something like this from their past project list? If so, that wouldn't be too bad. A couple more storeys would be nice but beggars can't be choosers... it'll still improve the P&M skyline postcard shot.

(Note: this is not a rendering of the Parcel 4 project)

Sidenote, is it too late for the 24/7 In Touch guys to get them to do their WHL arena? This one they designed in Idaho is a thing of beauty

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 7:24 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
construction tender?

Is it in for permit?

Last edited by trueviking; Sep 18, 2019 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 8:20 PM

I don't mind timber buildings. They can be beautiful as the above examples show. But crappy 2x4 walled buildings should be saved for residential houses.

I'm really interested to see how the pump house thing turns out. Again putting 2x4's on top of steel stilts for some reason.

That be said. Most steel buildings framed in are the same shit anyways.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 8:37 PM
What could go wrong?

This is heavy glulam timber beams and glass....not 2x4 walls.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 9:50 PM

Sweet. Should be nice.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
The Timber Engineering company involved in the project.

structurecraft.com
Thanks for that link. Interesting read. Do you know if it is Dowel Laminated timber that is being used at the pump house? Just wondering. thanks

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:51 AM
surely you agree with me

Will be interesting to see the effect this and Wawanesa have on the downtown office market. Adding 600,000 square feet of space without adding any new downtown tenants. Pretty significant rearranging of the deck chairs.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:31 AM

The old Ivory space on Main is completely full of cubicles now – anyone know if that is for ACU or Wawanesa? If Wawa, that's another massive, prominent space (just renovated) that would be opening up again in a few years. Which I'm actually happy about as its a terrible use for that space now – they never open the curtains.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan