HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 1:06 AM

OT: I see that skyscraper17 guy has been banned. Was it because of a comment he made in this thread?

Back on topic... I doubt Bezos pulls out (bad pun?) but if he does, would he move on to Newark retain the advantage of staying in the NYC labor pool along with $8 billion in New Jersey incentives?

I bet this whole thing is a bluff though. Cuomo would unleash a raft unlike this world has ever seen. He would literally activate the state's National Guard and militia to hunt him down, I think.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 1:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Has there ever been a better time for title puns than the Wiener-Boehner era of politics?
Oh God, that title is just too perfect.

I dunno why Bezos is trying to act like he's some huge victim here. I mean, yes technically he is the victim, but these trashy magazines have been exposing dirt on celebrities since forever so it's not like he's somehow special.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 12:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Is it time to start an "Amazon HQ2 - 2.0" thread?

I'm not sure I like the sound of that wording... how about: "Amazon HQ2 Do-Over Thread" -- New York doesn't want you.
Good to see the thread was started. Can we re-name it now?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Edit, wrong thread.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 4:14 PM

I'll wait for s second source on this story. WAPO is Bezo's toy to pump out these exact sort of stories. This is an empty threat to get some sort of action or reaction. WAPo has no credibility with Amazon news. It was the WSJ that first reported the HQ2 selection, with WAPO rushing I'm to confirm after.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 5:43 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post

I dunno why Bezos is trying to act like he's some huge victim here. I mean, yes technically he is the victim, but these trashy magazines have been exposing dirt on celebrities since forever so it's not like he's somehow special.
They have, they just never picked a fight with someone as powerful as Bezos. It's usually some actor or politician but as the richest guy in the world (at the moment), Bezos has virtually every resource at his disposal.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
They have, they just never picked a fight with someone as powerful as Bezos. It's usually some actor or politician but as the richest guy in the world (at the moment), Bezos has virtually every resource at his disposal.
Seems like a stupid fight to pick on the National Enquirer's part. Surely they are aware of what happened to Gawker. Peter Thiel is a billionaire but is still worth just a fraction of what Bezos is worth.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah they did. Gawker picked a fight with a friend of Peter Thiel and he shut them down.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Bezos has virtually every resource at his disposal.
The biggest resource he has is more money than he could ever spend. He doesn't need to worry about having his career ruined or his friends running from him or any of the usual fears of lesser mortals. He is solidly in control of Amazon and can't be ousted. He owns the WaPo outright so can't be removed as publisher. And, to be frank, most of his "friends" are probably attracted by the money and won't leave him as long as he has it which the Enquirer can't threaten.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 7:48 PM

I mean is he going to try to sue them for extortion?

Gawker posted Hulk Hogan's sex tape, then acted cute and refused to take it down. Thiel saw an opportunity and funded the lawsuit.

BTW all of Gawker's other sites still exist, just the blog was taken down.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I mean is he going to try to sue them for extortion?

Gawker posted Hulk Hogan's sex tape, then acted cute and refused to take it down. Thiel saw an opportunity and funded the lawsuit.

BTW all of Gawker's other sites still exist, just the blog was taken down.
Gawker Media is defunct. The assets were purchased by another media company.

Thiel funded the Hulk Hogan lawsuit because Gawker outed him as being gay.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:35 PM

Yes and they employ most of the same people.

I know why he did, but that happened in 2007.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Right, but on the other hand it's pretty frightening to see these Billionaires taking down media outlets that expose their secrets. Admittedly we're only talking about sleazy media outlets exposing secrets about their sex lives and not any sort of criminal activity they took part in, but I cringe at the precedent this is setting. How much longer until the Billionaires start shutting down media outlets that simply call for higher taxes on them? They're already buying up the media anyways so it might be a moot point eventually.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Yes and they employ most of the same people.
They don't have the same leadership that made terrible decisions about exposing the private lives of billionaires.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:07 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
How much longer until the Billionaires start shutting down media outlets that simply call for higher taxes on them? They're already buying up the media anyways so it might be a moot point eventually.

Hence the importance of having a public broadcaster/news outlets.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:21 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Right, but on the other hand it's pretty frightening to see these Billionaires taking down media outlets that expose their secrets. Admittedly we're only talking about sleazy media outlets exposing secrets about their sex lives and not any sort of criminal activity they took part in, but I cringe at the precedent this is setting. How much longer until the Billionaires start shutting down media outlets that simply call for higher taxes on them? They're already buying up the media anyways so it might be a moot point eventually.
You can't sue a publication out of existence for calling for higher taxes on the rich. There's isn't a judge around that wouldn't toss such a lawsuit out in a NY minute.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Yeah I mean its just extortion, not like thats a crime or something. Everyone does it! Both Sides!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 2:44 AM

Getting back on track here:

Let's run down all the NYC anti-Amazon bullet points to see the silliness:

"Amazon will be anti union"

No white collar headquarters in unionized, even in Europe. What happens in distribution centers only time will tell, but wither HQ2LIC moves forward or not will have zero baring on that.

"The tax breaks!!!11!!!"

Yeah, and? If Bezos had gone all in on Austin or Atlanta he'd be getting many multiples of a tax cut even without those cities offering subsidies just by virtue of NY's tax rates vs everywhere not CA. Heck, he's still going to be paying more in taxes on the NY employees than the ones still in Seattle. If Amazon walks, NY gets a big fat $0 from Amazon vs 27 Billion over 20 years. To put this in perspective, Amazon alone will boost NYC's tax take by something like 5%

"Gentrification"

Just about *any* other location in the US would have a far greater displacement impact than NYC. LIC and the surrounding area haven't been cheap in 20 years. Other cities would see massive displacement while NY can absorb new development much more organically.

It galls me to see such shameless pandering to what in reality is a small minority of protesters. Polling shows NYers support Amazon coming here by a small majority, why should we slap Amazon in the face when in actually they are creating a big cost by coming here? And all the local politicans leading this anti-Amazon effort signed onto NYC's bid. That alone will discredit and dissuade other businesses from trusting NYC pols not to come after them.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
Getting back on track here:

Let's run down all the NYC anti-Amazon bullet points to see the silliness:

"Amazon will be anti union"

No white collar headquarters in unionized, even in Europe. What happens in distribution centers only time will tell, but wither HQ2LIC moves forward or not will have zero baring on that.

"The tax breaks!!!11!!!"

Yeah, and? If Bezos had gone all in on Austin or Atlanta he'd be getting many multiples of a tax cut even without those cities offering subsidies just by virtue of NY's tax rates vs everywhere not CA. Heck, he's still going to be paying more in taxes on the NY employees than the ones still in Seattle. If Amazon walks, NY gets a big fat $0 from Amazon vs 27 Billion over 20 years. To put this in perspective, Amazon alone will boost NYC's tax take by something like 5%

"Gentrification"

Just about *any* other location in the US would have a far greater displacement impact than NYC. LIC and the surrounding area haven't been cheap in 20 years. Other cities would see massive displacement while NY can absorb new development much more organically.

It galls me to see such shameless pandering to what in reality is a small minority of protesters. Polling shows NYers support Amazon coming here by a small majority, why should we slap Amazon in the face when in actually they are creating a big cost by coming here? And all the local politicans leading this anti-Amazon effort signed onto NYC's bid. That alone will discredit and dissuade other businesses from trusting NYC pols not to come after them.
The details of the bid were not shared with officials outside of the governor's and mayor's offices, per Amazon's requirement.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The details of the bid were not shared with officials outside of the governor's and mayor's offices, per Amazon's requirement.
both of whom were elected by the people of New York State and City respectively to make executive decisions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions