HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 7:55 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I think this particular spot in Sandton looks promising as becoming the next Manhattan:

https://goo.gl/maps/xVcXkUKmspX1seWj6

I'm already sensing skyscraper canyons whispering in the wind....

Since it's SSP and pedantry is the game, I'll point out that's actually Bryanston, not Sandton. The boundaries on google maps are wrong as Sandton is no longer a true political entity but rather part of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality. The area known as Sandton Central (and managed as such by the Sandton Central Management District) is technically part of the suburbs of Sandown, Sandhurst and Morningside.

Colloquially people occasionally write down addresses in the former Sandton municipality as such, but only after being prefixed by the proper suburb. Eg: 3000 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Sandton, Johannesburg. Although if you were going there in person nobody would say Sandton, they'd say Bryanston. Sandton almost exclusively refers to the business area.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 8:21 PM

I want nothing to do with Sandton until they give back our lemon tree

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 8:36 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ why don't you just enjoy a cool glass of turnip juice.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I hate to be a smug Canadian know-it-all, but why don’t you do a google search for Sandton? It’s a major business district for what might be the 5th largest metro in the English speaking world. I mean, because of this forum I’ve had to learn things I’m not familiar with all the time on here, like thinking in persons-per-square-mile and to be aware of American esoterica like differences in the built form of Cleveland vs Cincinnati, so you can too.
The reason New York has such a massive number of skyscrapers is a lot more than just being a big city population wise.

Its because it has been basically the number one business and Financial hub of the world for nearly 100 years AND its extremely confined by its geography and blew up in a time before cars.

There is little economic reason to build a city the way NYC is built in most other locations because A) the demand isn't there B) the geography allows for most cities to spread out and C) the Technology of cars and modern mass communications doesn't necessitate co-locating so much business like you had in NYC, at least not that close together.

Back in the day there was a physical time save for large investment banks to be within a block of the stock exchange and each-other, not as critical anymore.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:18 AM

No, Sandton is not going to grow like Manhattan. What a homer.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:24 AM
BANNED

Where is Sandton? Lol. I've never heard of the place. I did a google maps search and it was in South Africa.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well, Dubai pretty much grew that way.

As for Sandton, I had to Google it since I'd never heard of it. It reminded me of Boise, Idaho, or even a slightly more urban suburb of Phoenix.
Wait, what? You've never heard of Boise or Tempe? Forget that nobody ever suggested Boise to become another Manhattan....

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 2:08 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Will Sandton grow like Paris?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:42 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Wait, what? You've never heard of Boise or Tempe? Forget that nobody ever suggested Boise to become another Manhattan....
that's... not at all what he said.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:15 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The best cities usually grow through history. Its a byproduct of the urban struggle and adaptation to changing times. Master planned cities will always lack that uniqueness. Manhattan is a borough in a city that has been through the times, although very short in nature relative to let's say Paris or London.

Its very hard to replicate in general. So when people say the next Chicago or the next NYC or the next Paris... yeah you can master plan and brute-force your way there, but it will never truly reach those levels of aesthetics and urban construct form.

In a way, it can be unfair, because the element of "time" and "luck" is in favor for certain cities. London has a rich history, and a bit of luck. NYC has had tremendous luck, and the element of luck in its success. For all we know, if history has unfolded a certain way, we could of been speaking German and NYC would of been a radioactive mess if the German atomic program had succeeded. Or if certain immigration movements did not occur, places like Chicago or NY or even San Francisco might not have been the places they are today. Philly could been different had it not been a temporary U.S. capital at one point. D.C. might not have existed.

If the balance of power was different, London might of not been the city it is today. If certain events manifested, Shanghai or even Tokyo might not have been the cities they are today.

So cities in a way, and the way they look, do have an element of luck, and history that have played a roll in their development. Something that master planned cities will never have. And with this, let's not forget about culture. A city is an empty shell without culture and diversity. Not in people, but with the ideas. All played a role and one of many factors in what makes a city unique.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I hate to be a smug Canadian know-it-all, but why don’t you do a google search for Sandton? It’s a major business district for what might be the 5th largest metro in the English speaking world. I mean, because of this forum I’ve had to learn things I’m not familiar with all the time on here, like thinking in persons-per-square-mile and to be aware of American esoterica like differences in the built form of Cleveland vs Cincinnati, so you can too.
My point is we have to squint our eyes and ask what place is that when we see it. And then the OP compares that place to THE place most people, especially here, define as the ultimate urban experience?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:51 AM
Pay it Forward

Sandton as in Johannesburg? Wow talk about memories.. We used to drive d.it's poppin' more like a San Diego than a Manhattan.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 6:28 AM

So (1) New York, (2) Los Angeles, (3) London, (4) Chicago, (5) Johannesburg?

I'm trying to figure out how you arrive at greater Johannesburg as 5th.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:00 PM

Johannesburg CBD has similarities with Manhattan. Dense, the street grid, a dense residential district nearby.

Sandton is a completely different animal, it's like Buckhead, Atlanta.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:03 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Johannesburg has dozens and dozens of 800 foot Art Deco skyscrapers from the 1930s?

Johannesburg has multiple gigantic steel suspension bridges from 100-120 years ago?

Johannesburg has 10 supertalls?

I don’t see the similarities with manhattan

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Johannesburg has dozens and dozens of 800 foot Art Deco skyscrapers from the 1930s?

Johannesburg has multiple gigantic steel suspension bridges from 100-120 years ago?

Johannesburg has 10 supertalls?

I don’t see the similarities with manhattan
Well, I didn't say Johannesburg was exactly like Manhattan, but it shared similarities with. It follows exactly the North America urban pattern, with a well-defined CBD with tall buildings surrounded by endless leafy suburbs. It also has tons of art deco highrises, bricky residential buildings and even a steel suspension bridge over railway yards.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:00 PM
sick transit, gloria

I mean, developers in the 1920s actively did try and make central Johannesburg more like Manhattan, tearing down huge numbers of Edwardian shops and residences for art deco office blocks in the process. It was colloquially referred to as the New York of Africa at the time, though obviously at a much smaller scale. Personally I think the CBD shares more similarity with older parts of downtown Los Angeles. Which goes for the rest of the city as well.

http://www.heritageregister.org.za

Curious to me that people on this site had never heard of Sandton too - I'd thought it was relatively common knowledge long before I'd ever visited / lived in Joburg. Particularly for a bunch of urban nerds. It was even a case study in one of my undergrad urban geography classes.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 2:34 PM

It would have been better to ask if Johannesburg would be like Manhattan. I'll still only have vague recollection of Bryanston/Sandton after this unless it comes up a lot.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Well, I didn't say Johannesburg was exactly like Manhattan, but it shared similarities with. It follows exactly the North America urban pattern, with a well-defined CBD with tall buildings surrounded by endless leafy suburbs. It also has tons of art deco highrises, bricky residential buildings and even a steel suspension bridge over railway yards.
This looks a little like Midtown around Penn Station: https://goo.gl/maps/cBnT4P26UWkoFs457

This looks more like southern Europe (Spain, Portugal, maybe Greece), or South America: https://goo.gl/maps/M6KKfjpcUGRsB9Te9

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:32 PM

I'd say central JoBurg looks a lot like Latin American centers. The traditional cores of Sao Paulo, Mexico City and Guadalajara have that slightly depressed, embalmed in mid-century amber look.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions