HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 9:42 PM

Great news 2 20 plus stories hopefully be developed on those pads.. too bad the adjacent bldg is subsidized housing.. hopefully they attract relatively affluent ppl..

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
Great news 2 20 plus stories hopefully be developed on those pads.. too bad the adjacent bldg is subsidized housing.. hopefully they attract relatively affluent ppl..
Isn't almost all of Place Promenade market rentals? The only subsidized housing I can think of off the top of my head is just the seniors building, i.e. Lions Manor/Fred Douglas. Or is there more?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 10:39 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Isn't almost all of Place Promenade market rentals? The only subsidized housing I can think of off the top of my head is just the seniors building, i.e. Lions Manor/Fred Douglas. Or is there more?
I think they include market rentals, a while ago I saw some units being marketed on some rental sights. The price is ok, not too expensive.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Council will hear plan to sell Portage Place mall
By: Aldo Santin
Posted: 07/4/2019
Based on media reports, it appears North Portage Development Corp intends to buy Portage Place from the Peterson Group and then package the property along with the land and the underground parkade to another developer.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...512233472.html

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 11:00 PM

^^I wonder what this would do to the downtown Bay store? Perhaps some of the retail that currently occupies Portage Place (and still wants a downtown presence) would take up some floor space in The Bay?

Not knowing anything beyond what has been posted here, I personally am very excited about the possibilities of this deal. The social issues around Portage Place have been well documented, and there seems to be no role for a huge mall to play in the current revitalization of downtown.

Is Prairie Theatre Exchange still located on the third floor? If that moves to south Portage Ave., it would certainly reinforce the development of the SHED district.

I'm looking forward to seeing what "develops" here, no pun intended!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 11:26 PM

I can't wait to hear or see what's being proposed for that site but i imagine construction wouldn't start til stleast a cpl years from now.. maybe a waterpark/condos/hotel/offices combo.. redoing the outside podium.. thiis project can be on the same scale as true north square when all said and done.. that's a lot of space to convert and develop.. 1000 new residents in the core would create that critical mass needed to take dt to the next level.. with all these new ppl working and living dt i expect a wave of new bldgs being developed after this one.. our dt will be the place to be

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
^^I wonder what this would do to the downtown Bay store? Perhaps some of the retail that currently occupies Portage Place (and still wants a downtown presence) would take up some floor space in The Bay?

Not knowing anything beyond what has been posted here, I personally am very excited about the possibilities of this deal. The social issues around Portage Place have been well documented, and there seems to be no role for a huge mall to play in the current revitalization of downtown.

Is Prairie Theatre Exchange still located on the third floor? If that moves to south Portage Ave., it would certainly reinforce the development of the SHED district.

I'm looking forward to seeing what "develops" here, no pun intended!
Yeah PTE is still on 3. They renovated their space semi recently. It’s the one spot in the mall that doesn’t scream 1980s.

Hopefully if whatever this is comes to fruition there’s still some retail presence there.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 11:35 PM

At the same time that would be lots of businesses shutting down killing lot of jobs.. i imagine theyll relocate or maybe the new owner will keep it a mall but add residences over top of it and than renovate the rest of it

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 11:48 PM

It's 30 years old. Tear it all down. Save the clock.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 11:53 PM

HBC is very close to closing the downtown store. There is an article on BNN.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/no-sacre...ures-1.1282563

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 12:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 1:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
HBC is very close to closing the downtown store. There is an article on BNN.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/no-sacre...ures-1.1282563
Its great that there is all this potential residential development on the cusp of fruition. However, the decline of our city centre retail is still occuring. It doesn't take a genius to realize as we approach a state of critical mass, there will be increasing demand for downtown retail shopping once again.

Currently we have two significant areas of mass retail; Portage Place Shopping Centre and CityPlace. The bones are there for significant retail development. But are both needed to accommodate the eventual demand for shopping in the city centre? Is only one of these locations needed? If so, which one should we keep? We cannot afford to lose two significant commercial retail shopping centre structures. The Bay would eventually rebound, but it's a question of how long are they willing to wait around for.

We are so bloody close to that tipping point. It's very frustrating to think about what we have and what we could lose to eventually meet the demand for what is developing.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 1:30 AM
BANNED

Would be great to see a hotel on using up the mall area. You would just need to update it but could keep it open themed.
Reopen IMAX with a new state of the are one. Reopen the theaters. Build the two towers. Close the food court off from the rest of mall if the plan is to keep the food court.

Staples and the rest all move into the renovated Bay building. The bay occupies 2 floors. Basement back to being a small grocer. The other floors can be converted into mall floors like we did with the old Eatons catalogue building. The Bay parked could stay as it would then be used for shoppers.

Redo the skywalks please. Id still like to see stores in them again.

But i think the hotel concept would work wonders for thay side.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 2:08 AM

Im sure truviking and biff already know what the new owner is planning they just aren't at liberty to say

I imagine atleast 2 new towers with retail office space on the main level

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the catholic church is buying it!
One of the buildings that Portage Place replaced was the Thomson and Pope Building: http://heritagewinnipeg.blogspot.com...-building.html

The new developers are David Thomson and Pope Francis!

It was preordained...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 4:09 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Would be great to see a hotel on using up the mall area. You would just need to update it but could keep it open themed.
Reopen IMAX with a new state of the are one. Reopen the theaters. Build the two towers. Close the food court off from the rest of mall if the plan is to keep the food court.

Staples and the rest all move into the renovated Bay building. The bay occupies 2 floors. Basement back to being a small grocer. The other floors can be converted into mall floors like we did with the old Eatons catalogue building. The Bay parked could stay as it would then be used for shoppers.

Redo the skywalks please. Id still like to see stores in them again.

But i think the hotel concept would work wonders for thay side.
I'd definitely say to move the food court to a more visible part of the mall and certainly dont cut it off. That would only serve to make it more sketchy than it already is. Agree on the rest of the points though. It would be really great to have a theatre downtown again. A great amenity for the community instead of having to travel to polo park.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 4:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I'd definitely say to move the food court to a more visible part of the mall and certainly dont cut it off. That would only serve to make it more sketchy than it already is. Agree on the rest of the points though. It would be really great to have a theatre downtown again. A great amenity for the community instead of having to travel to polo park.
Pretty much all vibrant city centre's have thriving cinemas. It was a real shame to have lost both the PP cinema and IMAX. I remember when PPSC opened, I was 8 and that the IMAX seemed to be this massive, shiny place where I could watch penguines on a giant screen! I miss that feeling.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 4:49 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
At the same time that would be lots of businesses shutting down killing lot of jobs.. i imagine theyll relocate or maybe the new owner will keep it a mall but add residences over top of it and than renovate the rest of it
What jobs? Most of the retail outlets are just mobile sales shops BellMTS, ROGERS, Telus, etc... There is already an oversupply of those in other malls in the metro area.

I agree that the mall should be bulldozed. Bye bye Food Court. Save the clock, which is from the 19th century City Hall. Build regular street front retail (no cell phone stores!). Put a Harry Rosen or Tip Top, Polo Ralph Lauren, H&M. Discourage riff raff from hanging around "north Portage area" around former Portage Pl. mall. Constant Police walking patrols and / or Downtown BIZ Patrol.

IMAX I would not miss. Most of the movies any movie these days are just rehashed Marvel comics or Depicable Me CGI cartoonish stuff. Nothing special. Who goes to the movies anymore? I wanna see the new Chucky movie, but I know only a small handful will show up.

Residential and offices. But make the residential condos. rather than apartments so to keep OUT the riff-raff.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 5:18 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I agree that the mall should be bulldozed. Bye bye Food Court. Save the clock, which is from the 19th century City Hall. Build regular street front retail (no cell phone stores!). Put a Harry Rosen or Tip Top, Polo Ralph Lauren, H&M. Discourage riff raff from hanging around "north Portage area" around former Portage Pl. mall. Constant Police walking patrols and / or Downtown BIZ Patrol.
So you want to increase the number of people who live downtown/near Portage Place while at the same time remove any of the stores that they would actually utilize?

I'm looking forward to hearing what the plans are, but at the same time PP is a very useful (and quite busy whenever I'm there) mall for people that live downtown. Staples, Shoppers, Warehouse One, the various cell stores, etc, etc are all open evenings and weekends and are busier than what most people suggest on here.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 6:04 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

^^^

I've probably told this story dozens of times before on here.

When Portage Pl. opened in '87 I was 21 and working night shift at Wendy's Polo Park @ $3.75 / hr. That was about $300 / month spending money.

Stores I used to go to were McNally's (the smaller store before they moved), Baskin Robins, The Bay for clothes, seen a couple of IMAX films not many though. Spent $ on food court like Taco Time, I may have bought a CD or two at the old HMV location.

Everything else was just to look at from the store windows because they were too expensive for me, like Holt Renfrew, or were aimed at women.

It was by about '91-92 that the "vibe" at the mall changed. Most of the Yuppie Boomer & good middle-class Gen X types stopped going there and went to Polo or St. Vital, the "safer" malls. Strange to say that those better malls, especially Polo, also got a "darker" vibe at the same time.

Better to stay home and read PC Magazine or BYTE (back in the 90s) than hang out at a mall where I can't afford the stuff and there has been since that time, "sketchy" people there.

If you wanna attract good, middle and upper-class people back downtown, you gotta re-open McNally's Bookstore and the Paddlewheel restaurant (or similar) in the Bay.

Warehouse One made a big mistake by moving back to Portage Pl.

Last edited by LilZebra; Jul 5, 2019 at 8:14 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan