HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:34 PM

JC Sherritt has announced his retirement. I've always had an appreciation for undersized pitbull LBs. The first being Dan Kepley.

Interesting year ahead for the Esks.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Jeremy O'Day was named the GM yesterday (He's been the assistant GM since Chamblain was fired 4 years ago and Jones was hired) so that part is already covered.
When was this announced? I haven't heard anything about O'Day becoming GM.

In related news, Kyle Walters suggested that the Bombers wouldn't be giving the Riders permission to talk to LaPolice because it's too close to the season.

So get that kijiji ad up!!!!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 9:51 PM
arf

^I don't think it has. I've only seen a tweet saying expect that to happen.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
We'll see how it goes with Halifax entering the fray. Maybe there's still hope for Quebec or another Ontario city like London?
Having lived in Toronto and now in Calgary one of the issues facing the CFL in cities like these (Calgary/Toronto/Van/MTL) are the high proportion of migrants from other cities or other countries. The international immigrants aren't taking to the CFL and the inter-city migrants tend not to either. If they didn't come from a city with a CFL team they usually don't support the Argos or Stamps, etc...
Calgary seems to have a decently solid fan base, but considering how good the team has been, it should be bigger IMO.
Doesn't that make Ambrosie's idea of CFL 2.0 more relevant to help those markets ? If there are players from those countries eventually playing in the CFL, that will help attract the new fans and if they sign TV deals it can lead to more money for the league and allow those fans to follow the league in the native language if they so choose.......it will be slow to get traction but it is a low risk, potentially high reward idea

Last edited by cjones2451; Jan 17, 2019 at 1:02 AM. Reason: Bold

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Doesn't that make Ambrosie's idea of CFL 2.0 more relevant to help those markets ? If there are players from those countries eventually playing in the CFL, that will help attract the new fans and if they sign TV deals it can lead to more money for the league and allow those fans to follow the league in the native language if they so choose.......it will be slow to get traction but it is a low risk, potentially high reward idea
Probably, but it's a tough job to tackle. One of the other factors is that you can watch pretty much any sport from anywhere on TV or internet channels these days. Immigrants from other countries are easily able to follow Cricket and soccer, etc.. Fooftball fans in Canada also get to watch pretty much as much NFL football as they'd like - and that's an issue. Regardless of whether you prefer the American or Canadian game, the best players are in the NFL. A segment of people will always gravitate to the NFL for that reason.

I'm not trying to knock the CFL, as I am a fan myself, but I think it's a tough road ahead. I'm also not trying to blame immigrants for any struggles in the league, but realistically, it is part of the equation.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
Probably, but it's a tough job to tackle. One of the other factors is that you can watch pretty much any sport from anywhere on TV or internet channels these days. Immigrants from other countries are easily able to follow Cricket and soccer, etc.. Fooftball fans in Canada also get to watch pretty much as much NFL football as they'd like - and that's an issue. Regardless of whether you prefer the American or Canadian game, the best players are in the NFL. A segment of people will always gravitate to the NFL for that reason.

I'm not trying to knock the CFL, as I am a fan myself, but I think it's a tough road ahead. I'm also not trying to blame immigrants for any struggles in the league, but realistically, it is part of the equation.
I agree, but I am glad they are not just sticking their heads in the sand and trying to take a pro-active approach. It is also keeping the CFL relevant and in the news in the off season which is good

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:04 PM

^ This has probably been the most news-filled CFL off season I can think of since the 90s.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
JC Sherritt has announced his retirement. I've always had an appreciation for undersized pitbull LBs. The first being Dan Kepley.

Interesting year ahead for the Esks.
He will be missed, that's for sure.

His body took a beating over the year though. The way he played the game and the hits he laid out, I'm surprised he wasn't out of the line up more.

Lots of Eskimos fans are saying he would be a perfect coaching. I agree with that 100%.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:42 AM

Looks like Bo Levi might sign with the Denver Broncos soon which makes a lot of sense as he could likely beat out Case Keenum for the starters job and Denver is such a similar city to Calgary as well living wise. I hope he goes to the NFL as I am so tired of the Stamps almost 30 year domination of the West and would make things much easier for the Blue Bombers to hopefully end this Grey Cup drought curse and help make the CFL have better parity between West and East.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-bro...ell-128437939/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Lots of Eskimos fans are saying he would be a perfect coaching. I agree with that 100%.
Former Eskimos defender J.C. Sherritt joins Stampeders as linebacker coach
3Down Staff 3downnation January 28, 2019

The Calgary Stampeders have hired former Edmonton Eskimos Most Outstanding Defender J.C. Sherritt as linebackers coach.

“J.C. was a player I always respected and I’m happy to welcome him to the Stampeders organization,” Stamps head coach Dave Dickenson said in a statement. “I’m confident he’ll be an excellent coach and I’m excited for the fresh perspective he will bring to the defence and the organization.”

Sherritt signed with the Eskimos in 2011 and spent his entire eight year CFL career playing in Edmonton.

“I’m excited for the next part of my career,” said Sherritt in a statement. “An opportunity arose to coach in Calgary and it was a chance to be part of an organization that has enjoyed a lot of success. It seemed like a dream opportunity.”

Sherritt won the CFL’s Most Outstanding Defensive Player Award in 2012 and earned a Grey Cup ring when the green and gold won the 2015 CFL championship.

Sherritt played 109 career games making 552 total tackles, 17 forced fumbles, 15 sacks, 14 interceptions, six fumble recoveries and scored one touchdown.

The 30-year-old takes over the linebacker coaching role from Brent Monson who moved up to become Calgary’s defensive coordinator after DeVone Claybrooks accepted the B.C. Lions head coach job.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 2:07 PM

^Hope he does well in his coaching career, just not against my Eskimos or winning too many Grey Cups

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:16 PM
arf

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 7:15 PM

New Montreal Alouettes Logo and Uniforms unveiled last night. I really like them a lot simpler and neater design. Now if only the Lions could get rid of their disastrous creamsicle road uniforms.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/02/01/new-id...logo-uniforms/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 7:57 PM

They went with the most unapologetically Montreal approach to design one could imagine... their new fan apparel is unlike anything I've ever seen before.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/7520...f-HvmjGF-HK9AA

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 12:00 AM

The kids look like they would rather be wearing anything else then Als merchandise.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 1:43 AM
The New Republic

They're Generation Z. They always look like that.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 4:20 AM
Starring as himself

Did they design the logo using an Etch-a-Sketch?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 7:54 AM

Als re-branding

TOTALLY agree with this article, especially the last paragraph (below).

The Montreal Alouettes new look is fantastic – and long overdue
By Tim Hodge February 2, 2019
https://3downnation.com/2019/02/02/t...-long-overdue/

"...With the Alouettes relaunch, my biggest uniform-related issue in the CFL has been resolved. I will now lend my voice to the next issues that need to be rectified: getting the Riders to switch to their retro uniforms full-time, convincing the Stamps to stop wearing black and embrace silver once again, and (likewise) get the Lions to minimize black in their colour scheme and focus on their current “away” orange and white look."

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 10:05 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

I don't mind the new Als unis, although I actually liked their previous ones, particularly the white ones with the blue pants. Hated that old catoon bird logo though.

Don't like the silver (grey) in the Stamps unis - keep it black.
Hate the Lions white & orange (creamsicle) road jerseys - need more black.
I agree that the Riders should go back to the retros full time.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 12:49 AM
The New Republic

LOVE
New Alouettes uniforms: way nicer than anything else in the league. 10/10

BC Lions: the orange in the away uniform is too harsh. Nice otherwise. 8/10

PASSABLE
Bombers: A bit loud but do like that blue. 6/10
RedBlacks: I liked the old Ottawa Roughrider uniforms more but these are OK. 6/10
Tiger-Cats: The Steelers have a nicer uniform with the same colour combo. 6/10
Eskimos: The Packers have a nicer uniform with the same colour combo. 6/10

BLAH
Stampeders: The uniform is way too busy. Get rid of the black and simplify the rest. 5/10

TACKY
Argonauts: The logo is hideous. Get rid of it altogether. I know light blue is part of their colour scheme but it's just way too busy. Keep it simple: navy and white 3/10
Roughriders: that shade of green has never worked for me. Make it much darker. The retro uniform is much nicer. Go back to that. 3/10

Last edited by isaidso; Feb 4, 2019 at 3:15 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada