HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerF View Post
There is no way the route will change. Like you said all that going to court really does is to try to get more compensation. It's not really even a speed bump because the province will expropriate the land and people can still be fighting in court after the bypass is done just like the Pinkie interchange. I don't have enough land affected for it to make financial sense to sign on with the lawyer. Unlike some people I have accepted the bypass is coming through whether I like it or not. My concern is the same thing I said yesterday that the space in the middle of the bypass at the crossing is not big enough for farm equipment to stop, but even that seems like its a pointless fight since highways has no interest in making it bigger.
Yep I don't like that either. I would prefer no farm equipment on that road but that isn't happening until all the land within the bypass is expropriated eventually. Hopefully they do widen that part and I hope you stay safe whenever you do have to cross that. That will be unnerving to say the least.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 7:18 PM

More Bypass Related Information:

http://www.leaderpost.com/Business+r...107/story.html

There must be a big announcement coming, a lot of coverage last few days.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 7:28 PM

I don't know what the announcement could be unless they have picked the group that will build it. I talked to the guy handling land acquisition on behalf of highways yesterday to find out what is going on since there are so many newspaper articles lately. Right now everyone is waiting on a second opinion appraisal that the department of highways offered for free. They expected for us to have that appraisal mid November now they expect it to be mid January. The original plan was to have land acquisition done by the end of 2014, but he told me that getting to first round of offers out took so long that there was no way that could happen.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 7:38 PM

Quote:
I don't know what the announcement could be unless they have picked the group that will build it. I talked to the guy handling land acquisition on behalf of highways yesterday to find out what is going on since there are so many newspaper articles lately. Right now everyone is waiting on a second opinion appraisal that the department of highways offered for free. They expected for us to have that appraisal mid November now they expect it to be mid January. The original plan was to have land acquisition done by the end of 2014, but he told me that getting to first round of offers out took so long that there was no way that could happen.
Humm, well that is interesting news. Thanks for sharing. I am anxiously awaiting functional drawings of the project so see how it all shapes up. Also environmental / noise reports.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 9:48 PM

They will not announce the preferred proponent until spring/summer 2015

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 1:12 AM

Quote:
The LP is doing a 3 day coverage of the bypass. I don't think it's because there is an announcement, I think they have been doing some research and now they are putting it on paper for the average Joe to see.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:23 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Got an interesting email from the city with regards to the naming of the bypass (For the record I told the mayor it should be named after Chief Thunderchild), here's their response:

Quote:
Hi Andrew. You sent a request in recently that read:

I think that the Regina bypass that is being discussed (The part that forms a ring around the city) should have a legitimate street name much like Ring Road, Calgary¿s Stony Trail, and Edmonton's AnthonyHenday Drive.

That is why I propose that out of the approved street names that have not yet been used; the Regina bypass should be named after Chief Thunderchild.

Initially the City of Regina believed that the Province of Saskatchewan intended to name the bypass, and we were coordinating with their department on naming so that the name would not cause health and safety issues. We have just recently learned that the province has no interest in giving the bypass a name (they will only give it a route number) so naming has now been put back into the hands of the City of Regina. We are currently working on a process to name this new bypass. Since it crosses into the RM of Sherwood and, as you pointed out, is a very major traffic project, we do want to ensure that whatever process we develop will ensure that the bypass gets a name commensurate with the road’s importance.

While the Civic Naming Committee approves names for use, it does not actually name streets (this is left to the developers, typically). Since in this case the “developer” (i.e. the Province of Saskatchewan) doesn’t have any interest in naming the bypass, this is sort of uncharted waters for us here. We want to make the process as inclusive as possible because it crosses jurisdictions with the RM, and we want to give it a name of importance. (Ring Road, which was named because it was supposed to ring the city, didn’t actually ring the city by the time construction on it had ended!) The plan at present is to ensure the proposed name has gone through the Civic Naming Committee for health and safety reasons, but other than that there is no plan yet. (We only learned this on Friday afternoon!) That’s basically step 1 and all other steps have to be determined. I can say that we are looking at what jurisdictions like Calgary and Edmonton have done with their bypasses and freeways as an example, for sure. Beyond that, though, I don’t know what’s going to happen.

That said, I will definitely record your suggestion and pass it forward as discussions proceed. I agree that Chief Thunderchild is exactly the sort of person of importance to Saskatchewan and the nation that would probably be considered on a short list for the bypass. Initial thoughts have brought up names of prominent politicians, aboriginal leaders (though there’s obviously some overlap there, as with Chief Thunderchild), and people of that stature. Very prominent and important residents, in other words. I think I can probably safely say it won’t be named for a plant or a bird!

I can keep you posted and let you know when a process is determined. I will also definitely pass on the suggestion of Chief Thunderchild as a possible name. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dana Turgeon

Historical Information & Preservation Supervisor

Office of the City Clerk

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 2:45 PM

Interesting information. It would be interesting if a few names were shortlisted and voted on by Regina and area residents. Like say on the City of Regina website.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Got an interesting email from the city with regards to the naming of the bypass (For the record I told the mayor it should be named after Chief Thunderchild), here's their response:
Blacktrojan - thanks for posting and sharing. What was your logic for liking Thunderchild as a name again?

also, very intruiged by the statement: "The plan at present is to ensure the proposed name has gone through the Civic Naming Committee for health and safety reasons"

What kind of name could possibly have health and safety implications?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Blacktrojan - thanks for posting and sharing. What was your logic for liking Thunderchild as a name again?

also, very intruiged by the statement: "The plan at present is to ensure the proposed name has gone through the Civic Naming Committee for health and safety reasons"

What kind of name could possibly have health and safety implications?
I suppose any controversial name that could either be a rallying point for protestesr or the focus of political protests. Think Harper Highway. Maybe a name that encourages recklessness like the Regina Autobahn.

I still do not get the Thunderchild thing. He has nothing to do with Regina. He is a Treaty 6 chief. I could understand a Treaty 4 Chief:

Treaty 4 signatories from the chiefs as follows: Ka-kii-shi-way (Ochapowace), Pis-qua (Pasqua), Ka-wez-ance (Cowessess), Ka-kee-na-wup (Muskowekwan), Kus-kee-tew-mus-coo-musqua (Little Black Bear), Ka-ne-on-us-ka-tew (Gordon), Can-ah-ha-cha-pew (Peepeekisis), Kii-si-caw-chuck (Day Star), Ka-ra-ca-toose (Kawacatoose), Ka-kii-nis-ta-haw (Kahkewistehaw), Cha-ca-chas (Ochapowace), Wa-pii-moose-too-sus (Star Blanket), Meemay (Cote).

Personally I think I would prefer a descriptive or generic name unless the historic individual name really rolled off the tongue and would actually be used by people.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 4:27 PM

Might be interesting if it continues the name of Highway 11

Could be Highway 111 Louis Riel Trail

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Might be interesting if it continues the name of Highway 11

Could be Highway 111 Louis Riel Trail

It is more Highway 1 than Highway 11.

From Wikipedia:

The name "ring road" is used for the majority of metropolitan circumferential routes in the European Union, such as the Berliner Ring, the Brussels Ring, the Amsterdam Ring, the Boulevard Périphérique around Paris and the Leeds Inner and Outer ring roads. Australia and India also use the term ring road, as in Melbourne's Western Ring Road and Hyderabad's Outer Ring Road. In Canada the term is the most commonly used, with "orbital" also used to a much lesser extent.
In Europe, some ring roads, particularly those of motorway standard which are longer in length, are often known as "orbital motorways". Examples include the London Orbital (188 km), Rome Orbital (68 km) and Manchester Orbital (56 km).
In the United States, many ring roads are called beltlines, beltways, or loops, such as the Capital Beltway around Washington, D.C. Some ring roads, such as Washington's Capital Beltway, use "Inner Loop" and "Outer Loop" terminology for directions of travel, since cardinal (compass) directions cannot be signed uniformly around the entire loop. The term 'ring road' is occasionally - and inaccurately - used interchangeably with the term 'Bypass'.

How about the Regina Chastity Beltway

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 6:16 PM

I don't understand the Thunderchild naming either. It's not bad, but I only want a major road named after someone who played either a very significant role locally, or provincially/nationally. I'd also hope they avoid populist stuff like naming if after a Roughrider.

If the NDP were in power I could see a push for the Douglas Expressway/Drive or something like that since he was important provincially and federally.

No matter what they do, I hope they avoid using someone's entire name. I don't want to drive on the Thomas C. Douglas Memorial Expressway.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 6:35 PM

They forgot Winnipeg's Perimeter Highway

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
They forgot Winnipeg's Perimeter Highway
And the trails around Calgary and Edmonton.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
And the trails around Calgary and Edmonton.
They're both informally referred to as "ring roads." In fact the signs at the entrances to Calgary say "Stoney Trail - Ring Road"

EDIT: Anyway, I thought I saw one like that heading into Calgary from the west on #1. But I couldn't find it on street view.

Last edited by brithgob; Dec 17, 2014 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I don't understand the Thunderchild naming either. It's not bad, but I only want a major road named after someone who played either a very significant role locally, or provincially/nationally. I'd also hope they avoid populist stuff like naming if after a Roughrider.

If the NDP were in power I could see a push for the Douglas Expressway/Drive or something like that since he was important provincially and federally.

No matter what they do, I hope they avoid using someone's entire name. I don't want to drive on the Thomas C. Douglas Memorial Expressway.
Richard H. Assman Memorial Orbital Belt Loop.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Richard H. Assman Memorial Orbital Belt Loop.
He was still alive a year ago, working at the now-closed Petrocan on the west side of south Albert

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Roughriders Expressway

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
He was still alive a year ago, working at the now-closed Petrocan on the west side of south Albert

musical tribute from Tony Orlando[2] on Letterman:
"Northgate Petro-Canada
Oh, they're relocating
Their new office at Victoria Square
They're celebrating
Oh vaya con dios, Dick Assman
Vaya con dios, my love"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-h16TwRDo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan