HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
From MySA: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ange_plan.html

Big news potentially on the horizon...

Including my personal favorite nugget:
Once the ROW is taken and station sites are selected for the BRT, I don't see why it wouldn't make sense to just throw tracks into the improvements that already have to be made on Fredericksburg.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 6:28 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
electricron, the article explains why the costs rose. It's not easy to predict which way land or equipment prices will go, and you can't create a budget on the grounds of "better safe than sorry", you just can't. Costs rise as a matter of fact. Saying "they should have estimated better" ignores reality.
I'm going to agree, and disagree with you.
Some facts:
1. Costs can increase or decrease as the design gets more complete.
2. Charlotte taxpayers okayed building the Lynx light rail system at half the final costs.
My opinion:
After Lynx costs doubled, I believe CATS should have held another vote.
I believe there should be a percentage set in law when new votes should be mandated.

I in no way wish to suggest CATS shouldn't had built the Lynx. But I refuse to think Transit Agencies are given a green light to build anything with a blank check. Voters are given cost estimates. An attempt should be made to give half-way accurate estimates. I don't consider estimates off by 100% anywhere near accurate.

As for what should be built on Fredericksburg Road, I would prefer either a streetcar or bus rapid transit, because they plan to build a street based transit. If they plan to use an abandoned rail right-of-way or another dedicated right-of-way, like the soon to be abandoned UP corridor, then I would prefer light rail or commuter rail. San Antonio's Via half cent sales tax revenues aren't large enough to finance much above or below grade transit systems. That half sales tax has to be able to sustain whatever VIA builds.

The Texas Transportation Code allows Transit Agencies to charge up to a 1 cent sales tax, depending upon what the local city charges, as there is a 8.25 cent cap. I'm assuming the VIA half cent sales tax causes San Antonio to reach the cap. Therefore, VIA can't levy a higher rate unless the City levies less. But there is a potential, although very unlikely, that VIA could levy a higher sales tax in the future.

Last edited by electricron; Aug 27, 2009 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 8:41 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

fredericksburg rd is the city's busiest bus corridor. this is the obvious reason that light rail would be used there - and would be successful there. in fact, it might be the first case in history when poor people and existing users were set to benefit from a city's push to go to LRT.

moving the line to the existing UP tracks would, in my opinion, erode much of the inherent ridership as the line is a not-insignificant distance from fred rd.

the investment in a starter system with high ridership would bode well for future rail construction and would help VIA to run a system that generates the most revenue per dollar spent (of all possible LRT situations).

in addition to opening up a blighted stretch for significant infill, the route would give the citazens of SA confidence in rail once they saw how successful and efficient it could be.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 7:39 PM

Lightbulb

Light rail capital costs are generally twice the costs of streetcars, which is generally twice the costs of bus rapid transit. Bus rapid transit and commuter rail generally have the same capital costs, especially when the right-of-way is abandoned with good tracks already in place.

Since Fredericksburg Road is 10 miles between Huebner Road and downtown (Main and Commerce), and since the road will be the transit system right-of-way, streetcars or bus rapid transit should work fine. You can't send a streetcar much further north than Huebner Road because Fredericksburg Road quickly ends at I-10. One could shorten the length of the transit system 4 miles by terminating the line at I-410.

To reach the far north suburbs, the abandoned UP rail line could be used for "express" commuter rail, providing a park & ride station every 3 or more miles along the corridor. The commuter rail line could extend past SH 1604.

Light rail trains in a street right-of-way can't go any faster than streetcars, so I wouldn't build more than bus rapid transit or streetcars on Fredericksbuurg Road. I would let costs determine which.

Just about every potential rail transit corridor in San Antonio is similar to this one, with one street heavily commercialized with a nearby railroad corridor that could be used for express commuter rail.

Using the cheaper to build transit choices in every corridor means every corridor will get a transit system faster. Building the first corridor using the more expensive option means you'll have just one corridor with a great transit system, at the expensive of all the other corridors.

VIA has limited finances. I don't think VIA is going to get money from the tooth fairy anytime soon. To build any type of rail system, VIA will have to hold a referendum. To build a rapid bus system, VIA doesn't.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 7:37 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Streetcars, light rail prominent in VIA's plan

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...48#post4440348

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 2:36 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
VIA has limited finances. I don't think VIA is going to get money from the tooth fairy anytime soon. To build any type of rail system, VIA will have to hold a referendum. To build a rapid bus system, VIA doesn't.

As part of relatively recent changes (2005?), VIA no longer needs a referendum to build rail.

It may have been tied to a bond or change in statute. Don't know the details, but I know that they no longer have to go to the people for LRT. That is why you are seeing this campaign - build complicit support and then do what they want.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 4:02 PM

VIA is scaling back service.

I think this is a good move to help build support of transit options. (not being sarcastic)
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 6:50 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

^^ perhaps finding some efficiencies so as to build capital...would be wise to have some overages to cover start-up costs of LRT.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 7:17 PM

Quote:
^^ perhaps finding some efficiencies so as to build capital...would be wise to have some overages to cover start-up costs of LRT.
Exactly what I was thinking.
With as much as VIA has been in local news recently, they are probably also trying to build more public interest/support to the greater efficiencies that a larger-scaled transit system would bring.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 1:15 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

VIA forms streetcar commission

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ommission.html
Quote:
VIA Metropolitan Transit board Chairman Henry Muñoz will announce Wednesday the creation of a 20-member commission charged with evaluating the feasibility of a streetcar system in San Antonio and suggesting where it might go and which destinations it would connect.

The commission's prime task will be to recommend to VIA's board of trustees on whether to move forward with a streetcar project. It will also study how the project would impact the community, Muñoz said.

The group will examine potential funding sources look at potential funding sources and quality-of-life issues. Its work will also help finalize a streetcar feasibility study due out later this year that was jointed funded by VIA and the Downtown Alliance, a group of center-city property owners.

Appointing the commission is the right next step, Muñoz said, in determining the feasibility of rail in San Antonio because it will couple the technical expertise of engineering consultants with the viewpoints of stakeholders.

“I think it is an incredibly diverse group that represents the kinds of perspectives that a community like ours needs to look at on a project of this importance,” he said.

Muñoz tapped Westover Hills developer Marty Wender to chair the Commission on Intra-City Rail & Streetcar. Mike Novak, a former Bexar County commissioner, will be the vice chairman.

Wender said he hadn't thought about streetcars in San Antonio until a couple weeks ago and couldn't guarantee that the commission's recommendation would be in favor of a new system. Still, Wender said he was brought on because he's known for his ability to make things happen.

“If this commission believes that this will work, and we can show that it will work, then I and this group can make it work,” he said, adding that he owns no downtown property that could benefit from a streetcar line. “If there's an opportunity to make a (downtown) system that could be beneficial, I want to be a part of it and I want to make it happen.”

Wender, who plans to travel to cities across the country that have already developed successful streetcar systems, said he wants to learn more about what obstacles those lines faced in their development. The developer underscored the necessity of a strong first project, which would help garner overall support from the public.

Muñoz minimized any political connotations to the commission's membership. Rather, he said it represents a diverse cross-section of the community, and will seek the perspectives of others not on the commission.

The Downtown Alliance, which has been a strong streetcar supporter, will be represented by three members — including Darryl Byrd of Silver Ventures, the developer behind the Pearl Brewery. Also, Alamo Heights City Manager Rebecca Waldman, who will retire from her post at the end of the month, and Leon Valley Mayor Chris Riley will both sit on the commission, as will Richard Gambitta, a public affairs professor and commissioner on the San Antonio Housing Authority's board.

Former Councilwoman Debra Guerrero, who used to work for Muñoz, is now a developer and will offer a South Side perspective to the commission, Muñoz said. Guerrero, vice-president of development for the NRP Group, was chosen because of her background as a planner and developer, he added.“Putting this commission in place gives our board the opportunity to begin looking at how we maintain and grow our existing system and how we might pay for any future enhancements to that system,” he said.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 1:34 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
The developer underscored the necessity of a strong first project, which would help garner overall support from the public.
The best starter streetcar route IMO would be Southtown (Alamo/St Mary's) to Alamo Heights (Broadway/Austin Hwy). It connects places that are already developed (AH) or are developing (Pearl Brwy/River North). This route would connect King William, DT, Pearl, Mahnke Park, Brackenridge Park/Witte and AH, all inner city destinations. No other route can really offer that.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
The best starter streetcar route IMO would be Southtown (Alamo/St Mary's) to Alamo Heights (Broadway/Austin Hwy). It connects places that are already developed (AH) or are developing (Pearl Brwy/River North). This route would connect King William, DT, Pearl, Mahnke Park, Brackenridge Park/Witte and AH, all inner city destinations. No other route can really offer that.
Agreed.

Anyone else see the SmartwaySA commercial?
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 4:56 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Agreed.

I've seen two different versions. I like both of them.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
But who will be using this route and when, and will it convince the public that rail is a good thing? That route sounds great for visitors, but it sounds like it benefits Alamo Heights more than anyone else

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 1:43 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
But who will be using this route and when, and will it convince the public that rail is a good thing? That route sounds great for visitors, but it sounds like it benefits Alamo Heights more than anyone else
RIVER NORTH...

While the LRT/BRT line on FRED RD is designed to capture existing public transportation ridership and convert it to a newer form (and show how successful that new form can be), the Streetcar line is more of a visionary/investment type push.

The success of mass-transit is usually in ridership numbers. The one outlier is that the success of urban streetcar is in the related development, density, and interconnectivity it helps to develop.

Fred Rd will be the public persuasion tool. They have guaranteed high ridership and a built-in customer base. RiverNorth Streetcar will be the accessory, the vision piece that allows all to see the benefits of urban living and a vibrant centre city.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 5:31 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
RIVER NORTH...
That's what I was getting at.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 6:18 PM

Got it. All good points. I was thinking about more than just "streetcars".

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Agreed.

I saw the ad and I liked it as well. I especially like the part where it shows what looks to be a light rail train going through downtown. I'm really excited about this even though it is still some years away from reality. I do hope they build an LRT line instead of BRT along Fred. Rd. It'll definitely be successful along that route.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 2:40 PM

VIA plans to roll out electric buses

VIA plans to roll out electric buses
San Antonio Business Journal

VIA Metropolitan Transit will receive $5 million in stimulus funding to replace conventional diesel buses with an initial fleet of composite-body electric transit buses.

VIA will use the stimulus money to initially buy three 35-foot, composite-body buses that will be powered solely by rechargeable batteries. The project also includes money for the development of quick-charging stations to recharge the batteries. The transit authority also will invest in solar panels that will be used to augment traditional sources of electricity.

Keith T. Parker, president and CEO of VIA Metropolitan Transit, says the three buses will transport passengers in the downtown area and they will be recharged at VIA’s Robert Thompson Transit Station at the Alamodome.

read more....
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 5:07 PM

New York City has something similar going on

Check it out ====> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE-mLanl_AU

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio