HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Setai Fifth Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 3:14 PM
Editor

Nice tower, New York needs more of them!!!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 4:24 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdagreatest View Post
congrats on the model it looks just like the setai, now you should work on 440 west 42nd street nobody has made a model of it.
yeah, very cool model indeed. maybe you could do the beekman tower? just checked google earth and it's still missing... even 123 washington is there.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 4:45 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^^Someone already made a pretty good model of the Beekman Tower under-construction, but it hasn't been accepted.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 4:53 PM
Danny proud New Yorker

that should be approved that is a great model

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 4:55 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
^^Someone already made a pretty good model of the Beekman Tower under-construction, but it hasn't been accepted.
that's a pretty cool model, the waves are clearly visible. it's somehow annoying to see an empty plot on GE.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 5:08 PM
Danny proud New Yorker

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 2:03 AM

I really hope that Four Seasons gets built. It even looks good on Google Earth.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 2:13 AM

I'm still not sure about this one yet... I wanna like it, but I can't get 1950s/60s out of my mind... something about those windows

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 5:07 AM
Danny proud New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
I really hope that Four Seasons gets built. It even looks good on Google Earth.
if you see in the far left of the pic i also put 50 west street in there and I didn't put these models in for no reason because I honestly believe that 50 west street and 30 park place will get built ,all we need to do now is enjoy the process

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 5:35 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2010/real-es...ional-appetite

Tower Diplomacy! Setai Fifth Avenue Whets International Appetite

By William Alden
June 24, 2010

Quote:
At the launch party for the Setai Fifth Avenue Residences, Robert Siegel searched his suit pockets for a business card.

"I just went to Japan, where everyone has business cards with different languages on two sides. You trade cards before you even talk," he said, turning out empty pockets. "I'm a terrible businessman."

Mr. Siegel, co-founder of architecture firm Gwathmey Siegel & Associates, was being modest. He designed Setai Fifth Avenue, a luxurious 60-story half-hotel, half-residence, whose sales officially kicked off Wednesday with a party on the 24th floor of 55 East 59th Street, the offices of Setai Fifth's developer, Bizzi & Partners. Gesturing toward a series of poster boards, Mr. Siegel explained how light reflects off the windows of his creation.

"It's beautiful and wonderful," he said. "It doesn't reflect at you. It's in all different directions, a modeling effect."

The structure is intended to be something of a contemporary classic. Since the historic Tiffany building is across the street, Setai Fifth's developers and architects were required by law to work closely with the Landmarks Preservation Commission to ensure, essentially, that the Setai building be as beautiful and old-fashioned-looking as its surroundings.

"We were required to produce a design that was 'distinctive,'" Greg Karn, a Gwathmey Siegel architect who worked on the project, said. "From our perspective that was great. It allowed us to really push our thinking."

In an alcove off the party's main floor stood a model of the new building, complete with tiny people, cars, trees and deck chairs. Near the model was the bar, where the drink of the evening was, of course, the Setai: passion fruit juice, prosecco and cassis. Waiters swooped about, offering trays of pepper foam in crunchy spoons, foie gras with pistachios, lobster and cherry tomatoes in blue corn baskets and, later, mini chocolate-shelled ice cream cones.

Near the model, two Douglas Elliman brokers were giggling. Sherri ("Just call me Sherri Baby") Shang was telling Taryn Hammond about how basketball star LeBron James had looked at one of her exclusives, at 25 Columbus Circle [clarified]. Ms. Hammond rolled her eyes.

"Three weeks ago she had no idea who LeBron was," Ms. Hammond said.
Ms. Shang ignored the dig. She already has a list of clients interested in the new Setai building. All of them are Chinese.

"I represent mostly Chinese buyers. They pay in cash. And I translate," Ms. Shang, who is herself Chinese, said. "They love the Fifth Avenue address."

Ms. Hammond speculated that foreign buyers will probably outnumber domestic ones. Despite the building's amenities, which include a spa, a salon and a restaurant, the location—really, the address—will be the selling point.

"Foreign people go for something like this. They want that Fifth Avenue address. They want to go home and say, 'I bought on Fifth Avenue.'" Ms. Hammond said. "To me, that's not my thing."

Ms. Hammond's theory held water. Russia, Japan and Italy (in addition to China) were represented at the event. Natalia Dolinsky, a broker with A&I Broadway Realty, said her Russian clients love the address.
Russians also recognize the name of Bizzi & Partners, the developer, which recently completed the Marina World Tower in Sochi.

"I think they've been selling overseas more than here," Ms. Dolinsky said.

Back at the bar, Ms. Hammond expounded on the building's appeal in foreign markets, saying the Setai brand is as attractive as the building's address. "It means luxury. It has amenities up the—I hate to say up the yin yang," she said, nodding toward Ms. Shang, who laughed. "But it means quality."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 3:44 PM
New Yorker for life

This one ready for sendoff....final comments?

L!naMontoya

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 3:46 PM
World Machine

It’s a good and welcomed addition for what it really is…..and that is quality filler.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 4:10 PM
don't *meddle*...

agreed. it's a really nice companion, one could say ESB's little brother.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 4:14 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Correct, the facade has a touch of an old skyscraper, but infact the building is very modern.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 9:20 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

The newest crown on 5th Avenue. Great addition to the ever expanding Southern Midtown.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 1:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Yes, it turned out very well. And it looks better in person than it does in photos. They were clearing the sidewalk Sunday, but it was weird looking up at a "classic" New York skyscraper that's also brand new. Another job well done.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 2:59 PM

Very well designed addition to the skyline, has a great "New York" look to it.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 3:49 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

as seen from park ave last friday

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 3:51 PM
World Machine

^^^ Quality construction is very evident in that pic.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
I would would say Chrysler is esb's little brother. This is just quality filler.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive