HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 5:06 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

[SA] Koontz McCombs Condo Site Near Trinity Univ.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business....5563c54e.html

Koontz McCombs eyes condo project
By Creighton A. Welch

A San Antonio developer is hoping to build its second condo project on Hildebrand Avenue — this time on undeveloped hilltop land right across from Trinity University.

Koontz McCombs goes before the city’s Zoning Commission today requesting a change from single-family residential to multifamily zoning that would allow about 160 units on the 3.22-acre land at Hildebrand and Devine Road. The commission recommends approval of the change.

Koontz McCombs currently is building The Broadway San Antonio, a 20-story condo tower at Hildebrand and Broadway. The company has been eyeing the land near Trinity for some time.

“In the back of my mind, it was always a phenomenal residential midrise or high-rise location,” said Bart Koontz, president and CEO of Koontz McCombs. “It’s a one-of-a-kind tract. I mean who wouldn’t want to develop there?”

The land sits on top of a hill that overlooks downtown San Antonio and offers easy access to U.S. 281.

The land is kitty-cornered to a project of similar use, the Olmos Tower Condominiums. Other corners of the intersection include the University of the Incarnate Word’s Feik School of Pharmacy and Trinity’s campus.

“The subject property’s easy access to major thoroughfares, institutional and commercial uses, as well as the existence of a similar structure in the immediate area makes this request acceptable. High-density residential is an appropriate use for this undeveloped lot as an infill project,” according to the zoning case statement.

The site gained attention in July 2006 when Koontz McCombs outbid Trinity and UIW at auction to buy the land for $4 million from the San Antonio Independent School District.

But even though Trinity lost the bid, they still had some bargaining power: Deed restrictions decreed that if the land was used for anything other than a park or parking lot, ownership reverted to the university. The restrictions were put in place in 1945 when Trinity sold the land to the city of San Antonio for $10,000.

In 1968, the city donated the site to SAISD for overflow parking for Alamo Stadium events.

In order to help with the sale to Koontz McCombs, SAISD negotiated a deal with Trinity to allow the university access to Alamo Stadium parking. Trinity signed a 25-year parking agreement with SAISD.

With all parties agreeing, the restrictions were modified in July 2007 to allow for a “Permitted Residential Project” on the land.

Though about 160 units would be allowed if the city makes the city’s zoning change, the new deed restrictions limit the site to 120 residential units, all in one building that is no taller than 300 feet. The only other structures allowed on the land are a four-storyÖ parking garage with 280 spaces and buildings such as fitness or pool centers.

Part of what persuaded Trinity to allow the change in deed restrictions was the willingness of Koontz McCombs to abide by design restrictions, such as not allowing antennas or satellite dishes on the roof.

But despite the city and university support of the condo project, some neighborhood residents are wary of the plans.

“We’re very concerned and the potential for having a looming structure that looks right down into our backyard,” said Michael Dennis, whose home of 12 years is directly north of the land in Olmos Park.

Dennis’ biggest concern is the traffic from all the new development at that intersection, not just from the condo development.

The Feik School of Pharmacy has opened but is not yet at full capacity, and the Sunshine Cottage School for Deaf Children is building a campus northwest of the condo site.

“When you add all those together, you can make a messy situation horrible,” Dennis said. “What we’re going to be telling the zoning commissioner is it would be great if we could get the city traffic engineers involved on the front end.”

Currently, during peak driving hours, there is not enough traffic at the intersection for the city to require a traffic impact analysis, and Koontz says the condo tower is one of the least traffic-generating uses available for the site.

“I knew from years ago talking to Trinity that they did not want a commercial use at that corner of their campus,” he said. “That would be a bigger traffic generator. When you look at all the uses, the one with the least traffic is residential multifamily.”

Koontz McCombs owns part of the Old Hildebrand Road that runs along the northern boundary of the site. Koontz said the company will keep that road open.

Construction on the site is still years away, Koontz said, and won’t begin until The Broadway condos are complete.

“Our hands are still tied with that,” he said. “We’re working on the project we already have, and we still have 18 months until we complete that. We’re a ways off from this building.”

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 5:08 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Alright - you geniuses start figuring out how much of that 3.22 acres would actually be building and then how tall it would have to be for 160 units...

For reference, doesn't The Broadway have 88 units?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 5:31 PM
Closed account

I was just on that hill yesterday, and I was wondering what they were going to put there. Good timing express news.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 5:48 PM

I'm a little confused, are the deed restrictions for the site (i.e., no more than 120 units, no higher than 300 ft) still in effect, or were they waved after TU made the deal with SAISD?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 5:54 PM
Closed account

it sounds like they were waived.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 6:03 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I'm a little confused, are the deed restrictions for the site (i.e., no more than 120 units, no higher than 300 ft) still in effect, or were they waved after TU made the deal with SAISD?
would it really be a possibility that they would want to exceed 300 feet there anyway?

I can't imagine a 300-footer on top of the hill there, much less something taller.

I think we will see a 250-280 foot building with a wider footprint than The Broadway.

Another possible reference point - how many acres is the Vistana site? They have 223 units, I think, although rental units are obviously smaller.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 6:32 PM
Endless Moments...

I hope this plan goes through. Its a great location and the views would be awesome. I just hope those NIMBYS dont derail it or anything. Olmos Park can be very tricky.

Great news though...

Last edited by Complex01; Jun 3, 2008 at 8:07 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 7:06 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Here are the footprints for The Vistana, The Broadway and the unnamed high rise at Devine and Hildebrand across from Alamo Stadium and Trinity.

The are all at the same altitude.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
I hope this plan goes through. Its a great location and the views would be awesome. I just home those NIMBYS dont derail it or anything. Olmos Park can be very tricky.

Great news though...

I agree. Lots of wealthy wealthy people live off Devin. Have you seen some of those homes?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 7:17 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Here are the footprints for The Vistana, The Broadway and the unnamed high rise at Devine and Hildebrand across from Alamo Stadium and Trinity.

The are all at the same altitude.

that's awesome sirking...

looks lke the "devin" site is larger, but its usable area is the similar to the others...

this could get very tall.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 8:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I agree. Lots of wealthy wealthy people live off Devin. Have you seen some of those homes?
Olmos Park is the 10th wealthiest city in the state according to wikipedia.

I think the size of this new tower depends on how well the Broadway does.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 9:33 PM

You don't need to remind me how wealthy Olmos Park is. I have a friend that lives there. Let's just say, his guest house is almost the size of my home.

Though my comment was more about the old money on Devin giving this tower trouble.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 9:34 PM
Closed account

They won't be able to do anything, since the new tower is in SA, not OP.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 9:35 PM

Didn't the '09ers from AH give the Broadway trouble??

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Didn't the '09ers from AH give the Broadway trouble??
I don't think so. I believe the opposition was more from Mahncke Park as The Broadway is being built in Mahncke Park. However I wouldn't doubt there was some opposition from Alamo Heights, though not very strong.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 9:51 PM
Closed account

The Broadway wasn't a big deal. What WAS a big deal was a five story office building they built between Lincoln Heights and AH High School on Broadway, which was right across from a bunch of houses. Why it was a big deal was because the site was in SA, but the houses were in AH, so the residents felt kinda shafted. Same kinda thing with this tower I guess. Or maybe they won't say anything. Lots in OP are alot bigger than AH, so maybe the trees will block it. <_<

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 3:38 AM
Meh

3 acres is a lot of land for a highrise. A single block in downtown for an example might only cover 1 acre. I would still expect a highrise though. They'd be crazy not to take advantage of the view. I'm sure they'll have a parking garage. Whether it goes under ground or above I don't know, but with the extra land they have, I'd imagine it would be above ground. It's almost always easier, faster and cheaper to build a garage above ground than it is to dig. Central and South Texas are pretty rocky, so it gets expensive.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 9:38 PM

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...d.2d70411.html

Looks like zoning commission approved it, surprise surprise. The new deed restrictions say Koontz McCombs can't build more than 120 units and their tower can't be more than 300 feet tall. Another part of the deed restriction says there can't be more than 10 units per floor. So it'll be at least 12 stories tall.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 10:23 PM

According to the article-There are also about 700 units that have been announced, but are still in the planning stages, Metrostudy's Allsup said.

Hopefully, those 700 units are planned in the downtown area.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 10:23 PM
Closed account

we can only hope... and pray.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio