HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 10:32 PM

Sites for New SA Fed Courthouse Narrowed

New San Antonio Federal Courthouse moves closer to development
San Antonio Business Journal - 4:10 PM CDT Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The General Services Administration (GSA) has narrowed down its list of potential sites for a new U.S. Courthouse in downtown San Antonio.

The three sites are:

The current San Antonio Police Department headquarters site;

A federally owned site next to the current Federal Building on Durango;

And a site that is bounded by the San Antonio River on the East, Durango on the South and Main on the West.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Anyone know how much they are going to spend on this?

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 10:36 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

My question, if they build on the current SAPD HQ site, where does the SAPD build their new HQ?

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 10:51 PM
James

Just what I was thinking...and even so, I would be glad to see the Police Station go, its so ugly!

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 10:52 PM

It is, so old and outdated.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 11:13 PM

Reference to the sites. The black X is the third option and the red X is the first option/current SAPD HQ.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 11:30 PM

It shouldn't be built on the third site by the river.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythegreat View Post
It shouldn't be built on the third site by the river.
I agree, would be a nice spot

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 1:10 PM

It's a nice spot for something other than a federal building. The federal gov't could give a rat's ass downtown San Antonio looks like, and could possibly build a parking lot (or something worse) on the river front portion of the lot.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 2:10 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

honestly, i like the river site more than the police hq.

this may be a minor catalyst in some new development nearby wherever it is located.

the riverside site is just south of La Cascada. perhaps a new federal building will push that area to become another potential hot development zone DT, more restaurants, retail, and an another daytime magnet that makes residential buildings in that area look attractive...

and remember - the site on the river is the only one that is currently surface parking... why tear down a building (even one as ugly as police hq) when there is a perfectly hideous surface parking lot to destroy?

we here at the forum all share a common enemy - downtown surface parking lots.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 12:08 AM
Bears of antiquity

Perhaps they'll build a federal courthouse like the one in Portland?

16 stories, but swanky!

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 1:39 AM
Endless Moments...

I doubt they would build a 16 story building next to La Cascada, it would be taller then it, and block its views. How ever i do agree, there are plenty of parking lots that need to go, especially in that area, its just one big parking lot...

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 6:16 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post

I doubt they would build a 16 story building next to La Cascada, it would be taller then it, and block its views. How ever i do agree, there are plenty of parking lots that need to go, especially in that area, its just one big parking lot...
For reference, La Cascada is 149 feet tall.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 3:27 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

mayor alexjon has a good point...

check out the courthouse from portland...that would be a sweet addition to DT.

Last edited by sakyle04; May 17, 2007 at 4:32 PM. Reason: Fixed the picture....Now this is Portland instead of Seattle. Oops. :)

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 3:52 PM
Endless Moments...

Hey wait a minute. That picture is the court house in Seattle.

This is the courthouse in Portland...

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=340342

Either way, i think they are both nice. Well i like the Seattle one a lil more. I guess cause i like Seattle a lot more then portland...

Last edited by Complex01; May 17, 2007 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 4:41 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

^^^ Thanks, Complex01.

Fixed it. (And I liked the Seattle one a little more too...)

Either way, they're doing some decent work here considering that they are government buildings.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 4:47 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

And no matter what, it isn't going to get much worse than this:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 3:53 AM

Proposed courthouse site on river upsets some

Web Posted: 06/06/2007 10:45 PM CDT
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met...e.348918a.html

Scott Huddleston
Express-News

A scenic, park-like area of the San Antonio River is one of three final sites proposed for a new federal courthouse, a use some say would clash with the character of downtown and surrounding neighborhoods.

The U.S. General Services Administration also is looking at San Antonio's downtown police station and a federally owned site on Durango Boulevard between the federal building and the Institute of Texan Cultures.

It's the location on the river that's drawing fire.

"It just doesn't make sense," said Diana Treviño, who grew up in an early 1900s home by the river that could be razed if the spot is chosen.

Also at risk besides the two-story Victorian-style Sanchez House, also known as the Dwyer House, is the future of a peaceful section of the River Walk where ducks swim and people walk, jog and ride bicycles, Treviño said.

"I'm concerned that they're going to wipe all that out," she said. "When I think of a federal building, I think of lights, barricades and other things that are uninviting, that make you want to stay away. When the tourists come downtown, they want to see historic San Antonio. They don't want to see a building."

The search for a new federal courthouse site began seven years ago with 18 sites under consideration. Now it's down to three, including the site near the northwest corner where the river flows under Durango.

Lawyer Carla Morrison bought the Sanchez House at 408 Dwyer Ave. five years ago and invested $500,000 to restore it and use it as her office. She's hired a lawyer specializing in land use and public relations expert T.J. Connolly to help build a case against the river site.

Morrison is in Guatemala and couldn't comment on the case. Connolly said he created a Web site last week to allow people to read about the situation and post their opinions. On Tuesday, he posted 5,000 e-mails to area community leaders and media outlets statewide.

"Our goal is to make this choice the path of greatest resistance," he said.

Security requirements for a federal courthouse could impede barge and pedestrian traffic on that stretch of the river, about 1,500 feet downstream from the highly developed Horseshoe Bend area of the River Walk, Connolly said.

That could cripple the city's plans to make a 13-mile stretch of the river a draw for tourists and residents, with linear parks, hike-bike trails and new development, Connolly said.

"You can't allow barges or joggers by a federal courthouse," he said. "There's too great a risk of a bomb being on a barge or in a jogger's backpack."

Officials representing the city and the River Walk weren't as concerned about potential impacts on the river but felt the police station is the best site.

Mayor Phil Hardberger said security issues "would all have to be worked out down the road" if the river site were chosen.

Greg Gallaspy, executive director of the Paseo del Rio Association, said the police station, followed by the spot by the Federal Building, would be his two choices. Conflicts between use of that area of the river and courthouse security could increase over time as downtown hotel development increases, he said.

"I think the Police Department is the answer," he said.

The city suggested the police station as a site, knowing it was antiquated, at 45 years old, and needs to be replaced or upgraded. If it's chosen as the courthouse site, with construction starting as early as 2011, the city will have to find a new location for police headquarters, City Manager Sheryl Sculley said.

Shala Geer-Smith, regional spokeswoman for the General Services Administration, said a town hall meeting on the site selection is planned in the fall as part of a careful process under the National Environmental Protection Act.

Though the agency doesn't have to abide by local historic preservation laws, "we have our own historic preservation rules that we have to go through," she said.

There are options that would allow the Sanchez House to remain standing, by relocating it or building around it, Geer-Smith said.

The agency, which could take up to a year to select a site, is "very early in the process" of site selection and hasn't even designed the building, she said.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 6:36 AM
James

As much as I hate whiney people, go with the police station site, the current building is hideous. Anyway, lets hope the police decide to stay downtown...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
mayor alexjon has a good point...

check out the courthouse from portland...that would be a sweet addition to DT.

Nice things about the Federal Court Houses is that their floors are taller than most office buildings. The Fed Court house in pdx is only 16 stories but taller than 20 story buildings.

My taste says put it down on Durango next to the river. That way there will be something pulling the downtown core in the southern direction. Hopefully start filling up those parking lots (which the police station could do too) but lots of capital already been put into that area, El Mercado, UTSA, Santa Rosa Hospital....just thinking stratigic and downtown is the river in San Antonio.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 3:49 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Nice things about the Federal Court Houses is that their floors are taller than most office buildings. The Fed Court house in pdx is only 16 stories but taller than 20 story buildings.

My taste says put it down on Durango next to the river. That way there will be something pulling the downtown core in the southern direction. Hopefully start filling up those parking lots (which the police station could do too) but lots of capital already been put into that area, El Mercado, UTSA, Santa Rosa Hospital....just thinking stratigic and downtown is the river in San Antonio.
Agreed, although it looks less likely to happen considering the above article...

And notice, in the picture, the building directly behind the PDX courthouse is quite a bit shorter - and it is 18 stories - 2 stories taller!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio