HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Please mods .. this should have never been a sticky to begin with .. there is no reason for it to be a stucky. This is no active news in regards to Winnipeg getting any form of rapid transit.. it is has only turned into a place where I can make fun at this rediculous sticky form by posting the stupidest forms of transit on earth.

Please remove the sticky status.. please. This is only imbarassing Winnipeg.

It should never have been a sticky to begin with.... this is so far from being worthy of being a sticky. There are atleast 20 real projects which are way more worthy..... unless imaginary fantasies have become the new qualification.
In which case could we please have another sticky for worlds tallest tower(WPG)?
20 projects?! That's complete bullshit. Most of the time it isn't about projects in Winnipeg because there hardly are any. The Winnipeg section is mainly devoted to discussing ideas on how to make the city better. Rapid Transit will always be an issue so long as public transportation in Winnipeg continues to suck.

Anyways, how the hell does the sticky even hurt you? Oh no, an item you might want to look at will be slightly further down the page -boo hoo. If you don't like the topic don't post in it.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 1:55 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

aww newflyer STFU

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 2:07 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
aww newflyer... may i remind you same katz quashed the last rapid transit proposal for the line to the u of m costing the city 50 mil in free money from the feds
... and I couldn't thank him enough he put the fed money towards other civic improvements and enhancements.

The former mayor was great a fantasizing, but was really completely out of touch when it came to how a city is maintained and run. Its really night and day from how far Winnipeg has come since the Murray era.

2 billion in infrastructure upgrades .. 20% cut in business taxes and hense new and expanding businesses filling in locations. Winnipeg is actually seeing some private investment... and collecting taxes from them. The city has rebuilt a strong relations with the emerency services (poice and WFD) which was in complete taters when Katz took over... and has also added a significent amount of resources to there budgets.

Nevermind ..... this has to be the absolutely stupidest sticky on all of SSP.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 2:11 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 View Post
20 projects?! That's complete bullshit. Most of the time it isn't about projects in Winnipeg because there hardly are any. The Winnipeg section is mainly devoted to discussing ideas on how to make the city better. Rapid Transit will always be an issue so long as public transportation in Winnipeg continues to suck.

Anyways, how the hell does the sticky even hurt you? Oh no, an item you might want to look at will be slightly further down the page -boo hoo. If you don't like the topic don't post in it.
Well then put up or shutup.. haven't seen too many post in here very often.

Its all very easy to say it should stay because it represents some misconcieved notion that it will grow into something.. but if you look at what it had become it turned into crap. Its not my fault .. at least I was posting.

So if you want to refer to an abandoned threat than go fishing to page 2 of this forum.. and leave the realivant threads to the top of the list.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 2:36 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
2 billion in infrastructure upgrades .. 20% cut in business taxes and hense new and expanding businesses filling in locations. Winnipeg is actually seeing some private investment... and collecting taxes from them. The city has rebuilt a strong relations with the emerency services (poice and WFD) which was in complete taters when Katz took over... and has also added a significent amount of resources to there budgets.
Gary, you have to remember to spell check before you press the [OK] button. Oh, you're probably using Microsoft IE which doesn't do automatic spellchecking in web forms.

Anyways, only the Exchange District is really seeing private investment. Princess St., Albert St. and McDermot are HOT, HOT, HOT right now. I spent some time Friday eating at the Princess Grill, sitting at one of the bar stool seats by the window. In the twenty minutes I was there, only two bums walked nearby. The rest of the time it was professional workers in their cars and walking by. I felt safe and happy being there. I don't have that feeling when I'm on Portage or Graham. I tell ya', those two streets have become like the north Main of the 70s and 80s.

Portage Avenue and Graham Avenue are for the bums and thugs.

Last edited by LilZebra; Apr 29, 2007 at 2:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 2:58 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Gary, you have to remember to spell check before you press the [OK] button. Oh, you're probably using Microsoft IE which doesn't do automatic spellchecking in web forms.

Anyways, only the Exchange District is really seeing private investment. Princess St., Albert St. and McDermot are HOT, HOT, HOT right now. I spent some time Friday eating at the Princess Grill, sitting at one of the bar stool seats by the window. In the twenty minutes I was there, only two bums walked nearby. The rest of the time it was professional workers in their cars and walking by. I felt safe and happy being there. I don't have that feeling when I'm on Portage or Graham. I tell ya', those two streets have become like the north Main of the 70s and 80s.

I am glad to hear the exchange is doing so well. I am looking forward to my visit to Winnipeg this summer. I am going to take it all in. I can't wait!!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 3:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
... and I couldn't thank him enough he put the fed money towards other civic improvements and enhancements.

The former mayor was great a fantasizing, but was really completely out of touch when it came to how a city is maintained and run. Its really night and day from how far Winnipeg has come since the Murray era.

Nevermind ..... this has to be the absolutely stupidest sticky on all of SSP.
he lost the 50 mill from the feds btw.........

i thank him for his effort at these other isues though

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 4:10 AM
A long time gone

Quote:

that's absolutely untrue, there are very few drunk people on Graham and Portage, I like those streets very much.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 4:12 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
he lost the 50 mill from the feds btw.........

i thank him for his effort at these other isues though
i think this thread reminds newflyer how crap Katz is after he lost all those money for nothing (or probably put them in his pocket?). That's why he doesn't want to see it, because it hurts his political agenda.

-------------

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 6:37 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
i think this thread reminds newflyer how crap Katz is after he lost all those money for nothing (or probably put them in his pocket?). That's why he doesn't want to see it, because it hurts his political agenda.
LOL .. where do you get the money was lost?? I would suggest you get your facts straight.

.. maybe a little despiration from the former Murray lovers. Maybe thats why you are so despirate to keep this thread alive .. in memory of the one of the worst mayors Winnipeg has ever seen. Maybe you should get Vandel to run against Katz again next election..

Last edited by newflyer; Apr 29, 2007 at 6:56 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 7:03 PM

Breaking News

Gerrard backs rapid transit

Updated at 11:27 AM

A Liberal government would put an immediate $75 million into Winnipeg rapid transit and start negotiations with the city it back on the rails, leader Jon Gerrard said Friday.
He said the $75 million would be a first-phase investment, and discussions with the city would start in the first three months of a Liberal administration.

"We will deliver rapid transit to Winnipeg," Gerrard vowed.

A plan to build high-speed bus corridors from downtown Winnipeg out to the various suburbs was in the works under former Winnipeg mayor Glen Murray but has not been a priority for current Mayor Sam Katz.

Katz instead chose to put the money that had been earmarked for rapid transit into an overhaul of the city's recreational and community centres.

Building rapid transit is part of a Liberal strategy to turn Winnipeg into a "greener, livable" city, Gerrard said.

Other measures include giving free transit fares to seniors and post-secondary students on weekends, and cutting down on the stink in parts of Winnipeg by forcing smelly hog plants and other businesses outside the perimeter, he said.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Breaking News

A Liberal government would put an immediate $75 million into Winnipeg rapid transit and start negotiations with the city it back on the rails, leader Jon Gerrard said Friday.
He said the $75 million would be a first-phase investment, and discussions with the city would start in the first three months of a Liberal administration.

"We will deliver rapid transit to Winnipeg," Gerrard vowed.

A plan to build high-speed bus corridors from downtown Winnipeg out to the various suburbs was in the works under former Winnipeg mayor Glen Murray but has not been a priority for current Mayor Sam Katz.

Katz instead chose to put the money that had been earmarked for rapid transit into an overhaul of the city's recreational and community centres.

Building rapid transit is part of a Liberal strategy to turn Winnipeg into a "greener, livable" city, Gerrard said.

Other measures include giving free transit fares to seniors and post-secondary students on weekends, and cutting down on the stink in parts of Winnipeg by forcing smelly hog plants and other businesses outside the perimeter, he said.
Thing is, I don't think any of the other governments have a chance at this election. NDP has strong support which is gonna take a lot for the other parties to even come close to winning this.

Let's just hope NDP can counter act Liberals announcement.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 8:18 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Breaking News

Here is the press release in its entirety:
Liberals offer Smarter, Greener, Livable Winnipeg

Gerrard highlights party’s Prescription for Progress for urban centres

WINNIPEG – Dr. Jon Gerrard’s Liberals are ready to do what Gary Doer’s NDP promised in 1999 but have failed to deliver in eight years: build stronger urban communities across Manitoba and treat the City of Winnipeg with the respect it deserves.

Dr. Gerrard showcased a number of his party’s urban renewal and revitalization plans today as part of the Liberal’s Prescription for Progress for Manitoba. Dr. Gerrard made the announcement at the refurbished campaign office of Riel Liberal candidate Grant Woods. Where most people saw a neighbourhood eyesore, the creative Woods and his team of volunteers saw an opportunity to turn a graffiti-ridden abandoned building into a spacious and colourful campaign office.

"It is time to re-imagine the possibilities of what we can achieve in Winnipeg and with Winnipeg," Dr. Gerrard said. "We need to make our cities more attractive, more green, and more livable in every sense. That means following the lead of candidates like Grant Woods and embracing smart and creative planning in all Manitoba communities.”

Smart planning means creating denser neighbourhoods where people and businesses live side-by-side (or one on top of the other) and are well-supported by public transit. It also means locating malodorous industrial operations, such as the proposed OlyWest plant, outside of city limits and committing to biking and hiking trails, urban green spaces, community gardens, and other measures that make urban communities livable cities.

"There are tremendous benefits in moving from NDP dumb growth to Liberal smart growth, not only for taxpayers who will get a bigger bang for their buck when it comes to infrastructure, but also for the environment and physical health because people will drive less and walk more,” Dr. Gerrard said. “But the ultimate goal is creating communities that are exciting and fun places to live and can compete with places like Calgary or Edmonton to attract people and keep them here.”

Dr. Gerrard also said the Doer NDP has failed in its eight years in government to fix a problematic and often tense relationship between the City of Winnipeg and the provincial government left behind by the Filmon Tories. The Liberal leader said that he is committed to restoring a cooperative relationship that will produce real results and less tension between levels of government.

Manitoba Liberals will:

Commit $75 million in immediate provincial funding for high-speed transit, including the option of light rail, based on discussions with the City of Winnipeg in the first 90 days of a Liberal government;

Increase transit ridership, starting in the first year with free transit passes on weekends for seniors and post-secondary students and reduced fares for seniors and post-secondary students on weekdays;

Put priority on provincial incentives for urban ‘infill’ developments, especially multi-family developments and mixed-use developments where appropriate, in city centres and surrounding neighbourhoods

Require large industrial hog plants and other malodorous operations to be located outside of municipal limits as is the case in Brandon and Neepawa

Place a priority on adequate funding for biking and hiking trails, urban green spaces, community gardens, and alternative green space designs that quiet and beautify communities.

“While there is of course no quick fix to decades of neglect on urban issues by past provincial governments, Manitoba Liberals understand that the decline of urban centres in Manitoba have been the result of 50 years of poor planning and a ‘Megaproject Mindset’ to solving problems,” Dr. Gerrard said. “Liberals will turn to modern smart growth practices to reverse decades of dumb growth under the NDP and Conservatives.”

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 9:05 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
that's absolutely untrue, there are very few drunk people on Graham and Portage, I like those streets very much.
I'm 100% sure you do.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 10:42 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
I am not sure if things have changed that much in two years, but if its the same there were bums everywhere on Graham and Portage. It was an unpleasant walk. Winnipeg should follow Calgary's lead and ban panhandling 50 meters from any transit stop .. this would clean up most of Graham and downtown Portage.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 12:01 AM
Robot Hand is the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
"There are tremendous benefits in moving from NDP dumb growth to Liberal smart growth, not only for taxpayers who will get a bigger bang for their buck when it comes to infrastructure, but also for the environment and physical health because people will drive less and walk more,” Dr. Gerrard said. “But the ultimate goal is creating communities that are exciting and fun places to live and can compete with places like Calgary or Edmonton to attract people and keep them here.”

Manitoba Liberals will:

Commit $75 million in immediate provincial funding for high-speed transit, including the option of light rail, based on discussions with the City of Winnipeg in the first 90 days of a Liberal government;

Increase transit ridership, starting in the first year with free transit passes on weekends for seniors and post-secondary students and reduced fares for seniors and post-secondary students on weekdays;

Well that's nice of him to say. But seriously, he could promise us all our own personal helicoptors and to pay back my student loans, it still won't change the fact that the liberals are unelectable. It'd be cool to hear this coming from a real party.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 12:57 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mango View Post
Well that's nice of him to say. But seriously, he could promise us all our own personal helicoptors and to pay back my student loans, it still won't change the fact that the liberals are unelectable. It'd be cool to hear this coming from a real party.
What??!!! ... personal helicopers??

Vote Liberal!! ... political campaigning at its best!!

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 1:03 AM
Robot Hand is the Future

Sorry I meant to say teleporters on demand.

btw, the Riverwalk is open folks.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 1:05 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
I'm 100% sure you do.
you don't go very much downtown, do you? I guess you prefer your little plastic castle of Dairy Queens. Enjoy your suburban malls, you idiot, and Winnipeg will always be exactly what you want, a dead town.

-------------

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 1:14 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
you don't go very much downtown, do you? I guess you prefer your little plastic castle of Dairy Queens. Enjoy your suburban malls, you idiot, and Winnipeg will always be exactly what you want, a dead town.
I lived downtown Winnipeg for 6 years ... and I know for a fact that Graham and Portage were cluttered with some of the lowest forms of vagrants, bums and the generally uninspired I have ever seen.

If that somehow makes for a vibrant downtown then maybe its not worth it.... and lets not put down Dairy Queen.

Blizzards....

I wish there was one in downtown Winnipeg, but it would probibly turn into a bum hangout.... off to the burbs for ice cream.

Last edited by newflyer; May 5, 2007 at 1:43 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan