HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I'm with you here. These look like perfectly adequate infill buildings.
Maybe I’m the only urban planner here who actually reviews projects against approval criteria on a daily basis but did you read the staff report and the design guidelines this project has to meet and seriously think it’s worthy of approval as currently designed?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
Maybe I’m the only urban planner here who actually reviews projects against approval criteria on a daily basis but did you read the staff report and the design guidelines this project has to meet and seriously think it’s worthy of approval as currently designed?
it's good to see staff taking a hard line. I don't recall ever seeing any past proposals miss so many standards. quite pathetic, actually.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
it's good to see staff taking a hard line. I don't recall ever seeing any past proposals miss so many standards. quite pathetic, actually.
Agreed with you and cityscapes. They couldn't even get the width of their pedestrian walkway up to the required minimum of 60 feet, although they were previously told they needed to increase the width at earlier check ins.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
I'm a planner as well and it's clear this was a desperately rushed submittal. It looks like they didn't submit a complete narrative and apparently didn't take in any of the advice they received during the design advice hearing. Denied!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 4:41 PM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Well no need to be snooty.(If that was your intent, it's hard to read tone in text) No I only took a casual glance at the renderings and did not take the time to examine the technical details. As a layman I tend to focus more on aesthetic and wrongfully assumed that this is where the criticism was coming from. I'll read over the report when I have a moment, sounds like there are plenty of valid criticisms.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 4:45 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Wow, defensive much?

I thought you were referring to them from a purely aesthetic perspective. No, I don't dig down into sidewalk widths in my spare time. Not for that city, anyway - I've got my own to worry about.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 5:17 PM

Does anyone have any more information on this? How high will they be? Each tower containing 250-300 units, sounds like it will be the max height. I believe the John Ross has 300 units? These are going to be two large buildings! I really hope they look nice.

A Pre-Application Conference has been scheduled by GBD Architects to discuss Zidell Block 8:

Current Code: Proposed project will be a phased mixed use development containing two high rise residential towers and two levels of below-grade parking for a total area of approx. 798,000 SF. Each of the towers will include 250-300 units of multi-family housing subject to inclusionary housing requirements.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronked View Post
Does anyone have any more information on this? How high will they be? Each tower containing 250-300 units, sounds like it will be the max height. I believe the John Ross has 300 units? These are going to be two large buildings! I really hope they look nice.

A Pre-Application Conference has been scheduled by GBD Architects to discuss Zidell Block 8:

Current Code: Proposed project will be a phased mixed use development containing two high rise residential towers and two levels of below-grade parking for a total area of approx. 798,000 SF. Each of the towers will include 250-300 units of multi-family housing subject to inclusionary housing requirements.
It has its own thread.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 5:05 PM

Sixth Sextant? City considering changing thousands of addresses to 'South Portland'
Updated Feb 28, 4:50 PM; Posted Feb 28, 4:49 PM
By Andrew Theen atheen@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

http://www.oregonlive.com/roadreport...river_home_pop

Quote:
SoPo, here we go.

Transportation officials are considering changing thousands of addresses on the west side to a newly created directional area: South Portland.

The city's transportation bureau notified thousands of homeowners west of the Willamette River, but in a narrow slice of the city broadly east of Southwest Naito Parkway, to alert them of the potential address change.

Portland currently has five designated directional areas of the city - North, Northeast Northwest, Southwest and Southeast.

Dylan Rivera, transportation bureau spokesman, noted politely that Willamette Week, which picked up on the issue Wednesday, inaccurately said Portland was considering adding a sixth quadrant.

Rivera said quadrants are defined as four parts of a body.

"In coming up with how to announce this, we've leaned on the side of adherence to proper English usage and a good sense of humor," Rivera said.

Thus, Portland is considering creating a sixth sextant.

Rivera said the agency isn't trying to create new neighborhoods out of whole cloth. Rather, it's responding to a request from law enforcement and emergency personnel.
...(continues)

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 5:43 PM

[QUOTE=MarkDaMan;8104016]Sixth Sextant? City considering changing thousands of addresses to 'South Portland'
Updated Feb 28, 4:50 PM; Posted Feb 28, 4:49 PM
By Andrew Theen atheen@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

Willamette Weak is calling it the "6th quadrant".

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 1:52 AM

Presentation and Staff Report for Block 40, which was approved yesterday. Pretty significant changes since it first came in.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Presentation and Staff Report for Block 40, which was approved yesterday. Pretty significant changes since it first came in.
Pretty substantial improvement. The NW and S parts of the complex are quite handsome too look at without all the overdone high contrast cutouts.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 8:43 PM

Aerial Tram & South Waterfront

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:19 AM

Great shot, Thank You.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:43 AM

So a leasing agent from the Matisse told a friend of mine that the development of the Prometheus property across the street is stalled/dead due to the ground contamination. Not sure if this is accurate or not, but since nothing has happened since design review approval, it would seem to make sense.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 10:58 PM

Posted on 8/15/18, subscription required.

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...526&j=83289361

Quote:
PDX Real Estate Insider: Three things I've heard about a South Waterfront shuffle and some restaurant goings-on
By Jon Bell – Staff Reporter, Portland Business Journal
5 hours ago

Two years ago, Bay Area developer Prometheus Real Estate Group embarked on a plan that could have eventually brought 1,200 more apartments to Portland's South Waterfront neighborhood.

Word on the street is that the company has been rethinking whether it wants to tackle that development itself or possibly sell off some of the land to another developer. Victoria Norris, an account coordinator with the public relations firm Matter, confirmed as much in a recent email.

"Prometheus is continuing to work with the local agencies to advance the development plans for the lots. They have not determined whether it will commence construction itself or potentially sell a portion of the land to concentrate its investments in Slabtown with the Carson, Raleigh- Slabtown and Slabtown East."
...(continues)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 8:29 PM
A before E

Slabtown East? That's a new one....

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 2:54 PM

I noticed this on......

Next Portland Nov, 2
Architecture and Development in PDX

Early Assistance has been requested by Alamo Manhattan for a project on South Waterfront Blocks 41, 42, 44 and 45:

Project including four separate mid-rise structures with a mixed-use program comprised of multi-family housing (approximately 1,026 units total), commercial and parking uses. Parking for approximately 625 cars will be provided overall. The project will also include greenway improvements and infrastructure.

Back to life? I really like these developments along with Block 40 and what they will bring to SW....but I was also hoping a fresh new ownership and perspective on the property would perhaps bring a larger scale development in the future. I want to see SW live up to its full potential as visioned when first conceptualized. I do realize current market conditions are at play determining how projects proceed. This type of property is/will become very limited in the future. Just dreaming and living in the past I guess.

Last edited by Natural; Nov 18, 2018 at 4:08 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 7:06 PM

Ran across this. Meeting on Feb 7th for those four lots north of spaghetti factory. Two taller buildings this time around. Strange that the taller ones are on the lots closer to the water rather than set back.

I would attach the PDF if I knew how. Can someone give me a tutorial?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 8:05 PM

Hi Cronked - I made a thread for the proposal a few weeks ago. See here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland