HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 5:04 AM

^^^ Great info, Thanks!

I suppose there had to be a downside to the prettiness. As a contemporary architect, it is a limiting context, I agree.

I do appreciate on the other hand the virtue of enhancing the Spanish character in spite of the loss of Your Victorian gems. A smart mix of the two would have been à propos, but at least the overall context looks swell, as Carole Lombard and Clark Gable would have said.

Last edited by montréaliste; Aug 21, 2018 at 5:07 AM. Reason: x

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post

I suppose there had to be a downside to the prettiness.
Yes, the smell of burning oil, oil sheens everywhere in the water, the taste of oil in your mouth as you swim in the ocean, oil rigs all along the coastline, and tar pebbles everywhere on the beaches that stick to your feet and which requires a deep scrub in the shower afterwards. Charming!

As long as you’re looking east though, and cover your nose, it’s gorgeous.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
Yes, the smell of burning oil, oil sheens everywhere in the water, the taste of oil in your mouth as you swim in the ocean, oil rigs all along the coastline, and tar pebbles everywhere on the beaches that stick to your feet and which requires a deep scrub in the shower afterwards. Charming!

A good substitute for suntanning oil, maybe? What's not to like? lol

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
^Well, in the case of Santa Barbara, that's entirely by design. The development process here (even in the case of single family homes) is absolutely horrendous. The projects that survive it (particularly any of the commercial variety) are nearly all homogenized into a made up style by all of the various boards that have the power to review such things.
That sort of review exists in most places in Europe. It helps preserve the identity of a place. Although it’s a shame that the style is so made up... but that’s what you do in a new place.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 7:34 PM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post

Well the first 3/5 things you said aren't entirely accurate (at least not often), but whatever. I'd take the beaches here over nearly any in Hawaii or on the Med. for a variety of reasons.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Well the first 3/5 things you said aren't entirely accurate (at least not often), but whatever. I'd take the beaches here over nearly any in Hawaii or on the Med. for a variety of reasons.
Well, most Mediterranean beaches aren’t real beaches, and they’re certainly not ocean beaches. It’s not particularly cool and you can’t surf. If you want a proper beach in Europe, try the west coast of France.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 9:54 PM
Babylon falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Well, most Mediterranean beaches aren’t real beaches, and they’re certainly not ocean beaches. It’s not particularly cool and you can’t surf. If you want a proper beach in Europe, try the west coast of France.
What do you mean they aren't "real beaches"? Not particularly cool as in the water is tepid and not refreshing? What about the North Coast of Spain and Portugal beaches look dope.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos