HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 2:36 AM

San Francisco doesn't have a lot of apartment buildings, at least as compared with what I imagine Boston, Philadelphia, or the Chicago lakefront to be.

It has a lot of dense single-family homes (the sunset district), duplexes and triplexes (the Richmond district, the mission district, Alamo Square) that still result in a high density.

I think that this might result in the suburban values that you see on the TV show, as the small buildings make the city somewhat family-friendly as compared with other cities of similar density.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 4:19 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
^Oh wow, I knew SF was the biggest by a significant margin, but wouldn't have guessed Denver to be up there!
The Colorado Silver Rush was huge in the 19th century. Lots of the big cities out west were because of mining.

Last edited by Xelebes; May 25, 2020 at 4:36 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Rochester was significantly larger than Denver. Syracuse would’ve been the 3rd and 2nd largest city in the west and south, respectively. Scranton was the same size as LA and Memphis.
The interesting thing however is because the "Great Lakes Vernacular" was wood-framed detached single-family homes set back generously from the street (or 2-3 unit buildings indistinguishable from single-family homes) the remaining 19th century streets in these cities don't come across as particularly urban.

I mean, this is a good example of a close-in residential street in Rochester. It certainly looks urban, but a lot less intensely urban than San Francisco or New Orleans.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 2:14 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Another good SF themed movie I’ve recently watched is The Last Black Man in San Francisco. Was an eye opener to how gentrification affects some of the long time residents.

Last edited by jd3189; May 27, 2020 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
San Francisco doesn't have a lot of apartment buildings, at least as compared with what I imagine Boston, Philadelphia, or the Chicago lakefront to be.
I would bet the share of multifamily in the Bay Area is similar or higher than that of Boston, Philly and Chicago. Definitely much higher than Philly, which is dominated by SFH.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 2:51 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
What I want to know is why, even though I often cannot remember all the forms that go into the phonebook-sized packet that is required whenever a kid comes into custody -- I can remember a TV special about Full House in which Bob Saget stated the house's interior as portrayed on the show would not fit in the house used for exterior shots? I can even remember they overlaid the floor plan of the interior on the show over the floorplan of the interior of one of the actual painted ladies, and it showed the show interior to be considerably larger than the painted lady.

Why did my brain devote a file drawer to that?
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:01 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
What I want to know is why, even though I often cannot remember all the forms that go into the phonebook-sized packet that is required whenever a kid comes into custody -- I can remember a TV special about Full House in which Bob Saget stated the house's interior as portrayed on the show would not fit in the house used for exterior shots? I can even remember they overlaid the floor plan of the interior on the show over the floorplan of the interior of one of the actual painted ladies, and it showed the show interior to be considerably larger than the painted lady.

So the Full House house...was a TARDIS?

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:09 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
So the Full House house...was a TARDIS?
Remember, to be grammatically correct it should be Dr. Whom, not Dr. Who.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Remember, to be grammatically correct it should be Dr. Whom, not Dr. Who.
Wouldn't that depend on subject/object? Also if "Who" is considered a proper noun?

I'm just being a smartass. Please don't mind me.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Another good SF themed movie I’ve recently watched is The Last Black Man in San Francisco. Was an eye opener to how gentrification affects som of the long time residents.

I liked that movie too. It also captured the flippancy of transplants; my partner and I chuckled near the end during that bus scene.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Hitchcock's Vertigo is another fantastic SF film, and it's even cooler than most because it was made long before all of that summer of love hippie-dippie idiocy.
I don't understand the hate some people have towards hippies.

As an aside, I don't like it when people refer to Charles Manson and his "family" as hippies. Hippies were all about peace and love. The Manson Family were murderers and thieves; they were NOT hippies.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:42 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

yeah thats typical for hollywood. the friends tv show apt in the west village out here is similar. it would be a very grand apt if it existed there. i think they talked their way out of it on the show saying it was inherited or something, but you cant talk away size.

nobody really pays much attention outside of the people in the cities where the setting is supposed to be.

i believe the most famous example of this kind of thing is the movie love story from the 1960s. its set in boston, but boston people got laughs because everytime they turn a corner its like actually another end of town or of harvard campus or something.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:20 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
yeah thats typical for hollywood. the friends tv show apt in the west village out here is similar. it would be a very grand apt if it existed there. i think they talked their way out of it on the show saying it was inherited or something, but you cant talk away size.

nobody really pays much attention outside of the people in the cities where the setting is supposed to be.

i believe the most famous example of this kind of thing is the movie love story from the 1960s. its set in boston, but boston people got laughs because everytime they turn a corner its like actually another end of town or of harvard campus or something.
I love "rom coms" set in Paris where the Eiffel Tower is literally seen from every vantage point. Even if you're facing away from it...viola...there it is!

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 5:13 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I love "rom coms" set in Paris where the Eiffel Tower is literally seen from every vantage point. Even if you're facing away from it...viola...there it is!
On the other hand, there was a more realistic situation in a sitcom from the 90's where an American lady moved to Paris, rented an apartment that was advertised as having a view of the Eiffel Tower... and it turned out to be a dump, and in order to get the view you had to stand on a chair, tape a hand mirror to a broom handle, and stick the handle out the window and maneuver it around until you got the view.

Yet another full drawer in the bureaucracy of my mind, ready to pop open at a moment's notice whenever I can't remember if I need to get turmeric at the grocery store, or if we have enough for the recipe.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions