HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Well, the Atlantic Place Parkade Hotel has finally been approved. Finally gonna see some major changes to that old parking garage on the waterfront. Whether you love it or hate it, it will be iconic for sure. I’m glad it got approved.
https://vocm.com/2020/05/12/ap-parki...e-development/
Excellent news for St. John's and downtown development!

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 1:17 PM

Nice to see this get approved. Whether we like it or not we are stuck with the AP parking garage so any attempt to make it look less like a shithole is much appreciated.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 2:37 PM

Could of used a few more floors and a bit more color like the Star of the sea apartments in my opinion but all in all, I think it looks decent enough.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 3:05 PM

Put me down as a NO for this one. I am not against development, just this version of it. What a waste! As I understand it, what was approved was the change to the municipal plan to allow the added height, in essence to continue the 12 story harbour wall (and people were outraged about the fence...but I digress). Maybe the final approval will be a slam dunk but who knows. Perhaps another one or two councillors will have second thoughts with the developers "take it or leave it" attitude.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 2:53 PM

NIMBY's out in full force on this one.

https://vocm.com/2020/05/19/ap-parki...ment-petition/

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 2:54 PM

Oh no, not a whole 3000 signatures! What ever will we do?

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engibeer View Post
NIMBY's out in full force on this one.

https://vocm.com/2020/05/19/ap-parki...ment-petition/
3000 out of over 200K in the metro area is about 1.5% ?

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:56 PM

it is pretty hideous and while i understand its already ugly as it is, this solution is like puttling lipstick on a pig. I sincerely think they could come up with a much better design than that.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 5:11 PM

AP Hotel AGAIN Under Review

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:14 PM

I'm amazed ( and concerned ) that an online basically-anonymous petition can be held out as a reason to rescind a legally voted decision. Whenever this topic is brought up it's touted that 6000 citizens signed the petition - not so. The mayor says that a review of the names suggest 2/3 of them aren't in St. John's. The media reports of the past few days suggest the main protest is over the loss of view, but that is never guaranteed for any particular person. And then that it's ugly - eye of the beholder. I've heard some of those who complain about the design, praise the Halifax Library even though it has a lot of the same designs - box-over-box.

And then there's the Deputy Mayor, with an ever keen eye on next year's election wanting to please every 'citizen'.

The CBC show the design from a few years ago and the casual observer might be led to believe that they are building a new 12 storey extension to Atlantic place, thus fueling the walling off the harbour argument, etc. I find that most people aren't even casual observers and won't read more than a few sentences of any news article. Reading the comments or Facebook would show that very quickly.

I hope there's still backroom chats about issues at Council. The style of debate that council uses isn't really a debate since they only get to speak once and after, there's no chance to counter a later speaker's false statements.

It's a wonder that anything ever gets done in St. John's

Last edited by rthomasd; May 27, 2020 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
I'm amazed ( and concerned ) that an online basically-anonymous petition can be held out as a reason to rescind a legally voted decision. Whenever this topic is brought up it's touted that 6000 citizens signed the petition - not so. The mayor says that a review of the names suggest 2/3 of them aren't in St. John's. The media reports of the past few days suggest the main protest is over the loss of view, but that is never guaranteed for any particular person. And then that it's ugly - eye of the beholder. I've heard some of those who complain about the design, praise the Halifax Library even though it has a lot of the same designs - box-over-box.

And then there's the Deputy Mayor, with an ever keen eye on next year's election wanting to please every 'citizen'.

The CBC show the design from a few years ago and the casual observer might be led to believe that they are building a new 12 storey extension to Atlantic place, thus fueling the walling off the harbour argument, etc. I find that most people aren't even casual observers and won't read more than a few sentences of any news article. Reading the comments or Facebook would show that very quickly.

It's a wonder that anything ever gets one in St. John's

CBC associates ARE very much against this endeavour. A lot of the propagation of anti-hotel rhetoric, is from current and former CBC media people. Most especially on FB. Local CBC recently published an online 'op-ed' piece against the hotel.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 1:52 PM

Could Be Legal Liability to Rescind AP Approval

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 6:28 PM

Unfortunately it only takes one swing vote to a nay for this to go down the drain. If we're lucky council will hold their ground and we can move past this silliness.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Unfortunately it only takes one swing vote to a nay for this to go down the drain. If we're lucky council will hold their ground and we can move past this silliness.
Is is it common for councils to rescind approvals?

If not then that is also a factor at play here even if one of the councillors would potentially change their mind on the garage itself. Not sure they want to be getting in the habit of approving and then rescinding.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Is is it common for councils to rescind approvals?

If not then that is also a factor at play here even if one of the councillors would potentially change their mind on the garage itself. Not sure they want to be getting in the habit of approving and then rescinding.
Opponents are hoping a 6000 vote petition will sway one councillor.
6000 is about 3% of the Metro area

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 2:52 AM

The mayor says that an analysis of the petition shows 2/3 of the signers don't live in St. John's so it's really 2000; non-residents of St. John's don't count. Wouldn't it be interesting if these petition sites also had a box to tick to say you opposed it.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
The mayor says that an analysis of the petition shows 2/3 of the signers don't live in St. John's so it's really 2000; non-residents of St. John's don't count. Wouldn't it be interesting if these petition sites also had a box to tick to say you opposed it.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 4:26 PM

Big news on regarding Come By Chance...
Irving Oil has purchased North Atlantic Refining and the Come By Chance Refinery. Not sure what this is gonna mean for all of the North Atlantic gas stations and Orange Stores in the province? Will they keep them as a separate brand or will they become Irving stores? Time will tell I guess.

https://vocm.com/2020/05/28/irving-oil-north-atlantic/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 6:16 PM

Council shoots down the suggestion by O'Leary to rescind the AP proposal approval.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Council shoots down the suggestion by O'Leary to rescind the AP proposal approval.
Good. Just build it and move on. Pretty much anything looks better than just Atlantic Place by itself.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's