HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 11:03 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

She's done, by, she's done!

CFS St. John’s officially opened

The massive new home for Canadian Forces Station St. John’s was officially opened Saturday afternoon.

Quote:
The 35,000-square-metre Surgeon Lieutenant-Commander W. Anthony Paddon Building will serve as the working home for personnel previously stationed in 17 older buildings spread throughout the Pleasantville area.

“Certainly it’s dominating the landscape here in Pleasantville,” said Vice-Admiral Mark Norman, Commander of the Royal Canadian Navy. “From a national perspective, there is no other building like this in Canada.”

Norman was in St. John’s along with federal Natural Resources Minister Greg Rickford, who appeared on behalf of Defence Minister Rob Nicholson.

The new building cost $156 million to construct and has been seven years in the making. The Department of National Defence first announced in 2007 the purchase of 6.4 acres of land in Pleasantville for the eventual relocation of CFS St. John’s. At that time, the estimated cost of the building was projected to be $101 million.

CFS St. John's
View the gallery
It is named after William Anthony Paddon, a former lieutenant-governor of Newfoundland and Labrador who also worked as a physician. He served as a surgeon with the Royal Canadian Navy during the Second World War and moved back to Labrador once it ended.

His son David Paddon said the family was honoured to have the building named after his father.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...ially-opened/1

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 3:21 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

June 22, 2014

Waterford Valley High School - the new high school in the West End of St. John's.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I was puzzled when I saw the ship on the left tied up in St. John's last week. It's the C.S.D. Leonardo da Vinci, a cutter suction dredger that has been used for port improvements throughout the world. While I can appreciate its utility, it must be one of the ugliest ships afloat.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 1:56 AM

Awesome set of photos!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 10:48 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Legros & Motti and Jack Astor's.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 12:42 PM

Nice shots! Were you up at like 4:30 to capture these? :p

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 12:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

3:45 gurl.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 1:50 PM

Did you take these before going to bed or did you actually get up super SUPER early?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 2:40 PM

Awesome photos as usual but I would like to say as I said before that our downtown skyline is starting to look very weird with all the buildings almost the same height (depending on the angle you look at them). Kinda looks like they were once different heights and were all lopped off to appease building height rules.

Quote:
Legros & Motti and Jack Astor's.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 3:33 PM

Guys is anyone from here attending the Happy City forum on downtown west development tomorrow evening? I know SHH and jeddy1989 will probably be there, but I can't make it. If you think you could go, and stand up long enough to give moral support to jeddy's (quick) talk that'd be great. Probably won't be long and elaborate; our ideas for the area are simple. If you think you can make it post below

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 5:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Well, b'ys, the grand opening for 351 is in a couple of hours. They invited me to the dinner because of the pictures they hired me to take, so sweet. Can't wait! It's at the convention centre, though, so not sure if we're getting up inside the building.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Well, b'ys, the grand opening for 351 is in a couple of hours. They invited me to the dinner because of the pictures they hired me to take, so sweet. Can't wait! It's at the convention centre, though, so not sure if we're getting up inside the building.
Tell them you're staging a hunger strike unless you're allowed in the building

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 2:20 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A very cool timelapse of the construction of 351 Water Street. It took me a bit to realize you couldn't see it until I turned the camera to the closest screen, but I do. And, of course, all serenaded by the Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 11:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So, the forum was awesome.

Everyone wants walkability, livability, mixed use, and all but one person in attendance is open to accomplishing that with highrises. People even talked about having normal-height building fronts up to the sidewalk for retail, and then more modern highrise residential sections set back above.

The municipal plan will be released to the public next Wednesday.

Regulations have been strangling our city. Until VERY recently, the federal building code required all sorts of upgrades to heritage structures in order for them to be used. That's why so many storefronts in St. John's and older buildings are empty. To do ANYTHING with them, for example, the owner would have to install a second way of exiting the building - not JUST another entrance on the back/side/wherever, but a staircase or elevator linking that entrance to all floors. A completely separate way out of the building.

Two months ago St. John's passed new regulations that building owners can still use existing spaces for what they were traditionally used for without such major code upgrades, even if the property is new to their ownership. James Case from LAT49 said we could be looking back at that change in 10-20 years as one that had a huge impact on the city.

Fortis owns the giant parking lot beside the Delta. Under current regulations, they cannot profitably do anything to it except build a parking garage. And an informal request to do so was recently floated by them around council to gauge reaction.

The federal government controls what goes on Port Authority property. St. John's has no say in The Keg, Jack Astor's, Legros & Motti, etc.

Deacon is dead.

People REALLY want transportation hubs, to park somewhere outside of downtown with fast, easy transit to downtown. These hubs could have daycares, etc. Even the commuters present HATE having to drive all the way to downtown and find parking. One woman said, "I commute every day from Cape Broyle. If I could park near Bowring Park and get a bus, I'd do it."

People are FURIOUS about the Steel Hotel, especially that it is just a brick wall on Water Street with no entrance there as was originally proposed.

The same architect that designed Fortis (which has so much wood as a tribute to Harwood Lumber that was there before) is doing the Salvation Army's new proposal.

Also, mandatory side note (you know me): damn, this city has attractive people. There was a gorgeous dark-haired guy there, a handsome young blond guy, and several beautiful ladies - including a French girl!

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jun 26, 2014 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:

Everyone wants walkability, livability, mixed use, and all but one person in attendance is open to accomplishing that with highrises. People even talked about having normal-height building fronts up to the sidewalk for retail, and then more modern highrise residential sections set back above.

Regulations have been strangling our city. Until VERY recently, the federal building code required all sorts of upgrades to heritage structures in order for them to be used. That's why so many storefronts in St. John's and older buildings are empty. To do ANYTHING with them, for example, the owner would have to install a second way of exiting the building - not JUST another entrance on the back/side/wherever, but a staircase or elevator linking that entrance to all floors. A completely separate way out of the building.

Two months ago St. John's passed new regulations that building owners can still use existing spaces for what they were traditionally used for without such major code upgrades, even if the property is new to their ownership. James Case from LAT49 said we could be looking back at that change in 10-20 years as one that had a huge impact on the city.

Fortis owns the giant parking lot beside the Delta. Under current regulations, they cannot profitably do anything to it except build a parking garage. And an informal request to do so was recently floated by them around council to gauge reaction.

The federal government controls what goes on Port Authority property. St. John's has no say in The Keg, Jack Astor's, Legros & Motti, etc.

Deacon is dead.

People REALLY want transportation hubs, to park somewhere outside of downtown with fast, easy transit to downtown. These hubs could have daycares, etc. Even the commuters present HATE having to drive all the way to downtown and find parking. One woman said, "I commute every day from Cape Broyle. If I could park near Bowring Park and get a bus, I'd do it."

People are FURIOUS about the Steel Hotel, especially that it is just a brick wall on Water Street with no entrance there as was originally proposed.

The same architect that designed Fortis (which has so much wood as a tribute to Harwood Lumber that was there before) is doing the Salvation Army's new proposal.
I'm really happy to hear it went well!

Sad that Deacon is dead, and that Fortis kind of has their hands tied behind their backs when pertaining to developing their other lot. However if this forum could help get the ball rolling on regulation changes in this area maybe something could change there. Fortis isn't afraid to be bold, but they're also into giving back to the community. They probably don't need to make more office space, or hotels with their sponsorship, so they could get the ball going on something else in the area

Its also a good sign if the same architect behind Fortis' new building will be designing the Salvation Army building. I have complete faith that they could design another eye catching building for that block that will represent the historic use of the original site.

Hopefully something will come of all this! Can't wait to see what the local media (+ dumb comments on local media sites) have to say about all of this

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 11:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, the architect is amazing. He thinks like we do. Every shortcoming with Fortis - the surface parking, the setback from the sidewalks, etc. is all a DIRECT result of regulations in St. John's.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 11:51 PM

I have no doubt that the Fortis building would have been 15 floors or so if regulation would have allowed it (and it probably would have looked even better with that added height).

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Deacon is dead.

Also, mandatory side note (you know me): damn, this city has attractive people. There was a gorgeous dark-haired guy there, a handsome young blond guy, and several beautiful ladies - including a French girl!
Any more on what killed Deacon? Lack of interest or was there other factors at play?

I'm kind of glad to hear people are furious about Steele Hotel, glad I guess that other people share my view. That is such a waste of good real estate for a hotel that could be built anywhere else.

How many people do you say turned out?

Thanks for sharing the info!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 1:08 PM

FINALLY the municipal plan is being released to the public!! About time. This city desperately needs a sustainable vision into the future, not just patchwork on the old plan that doesn't work. We need a whole new road. No more pothole filling here and there every time a new proposal comes up. I really hope this plan goes above and beyond to get development in this city on track. Judging on the time it's take to release this plan, I have my hopes set high!

Glad the forum went well and that there are (attractive) forward thinking people in this city who want to see things done right.

It's a shame about deacon.. It was a great proposal but I guess the market demand just wasn't there..

I'm also excited for the Salvation Army project as well! I have faith that the architect can do something really great with that site!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I have no doubt that the Fortis building would have been 15 floors or so if regulation would have allowed it (and it probably would have looked even better with that added height).
yes that was mentioned and again is a direct result of regulations and the architect tried to put in as many elements as he could to make the building look vertical and not like a stump. It was mentioned that they definitely could have gone 15-20 floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's