HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 12:58 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Guys. This isn't a dick measuring contest as to who has busiest airport/ city. No one cares. Just stick with OP's point about perspectives about specific airports.
This. I think some people just don't like being no 2.

I brought up London's figures as to why it needed expanding (over capacity already), and why it was losing out to the other regional airhubs -see Page 2. Why is SSP so riddled with these kinds of knee-jerk reactions? Literally EVERYTHING is a dick measuring contest.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
No, New York is the busiest airspace in the world, but most of the traffic is pretty evenly split between the three major airports.
In terms of actual airspace, the SoCal region is busier than NYC. The FAA divides the area around major metro areas with multiple airports into regions called Terminal Radar Approach Control Facilities, or TRACONs. The Southern California TRACON, which covers the LA basin, the San Fernando Valley, the Inland Empire all the way to Palm Springs, and San Diego is the hosts more flights everyday than any other comparable facility in the nation. The NYC TRACON, which covers most of the Tri-State area, has less traffic while also covering a slightly larger area. The only permanent divisions of airspace within TRACONs are individual airports, meaning the TRACON is the most granular option available to count traffic in a particular volume of space.

The NYC region does have more airline flights, but this is more than outweighed by the LA region's larger amount of military, cargo, flight training, and recreational flights. NTC TRACON controllers will sometimes describe the airspace as being the "most complex" in the world because the approach and departure patterns from JFK, LaGuardia, Newark, and Teterboro interfere with each other, requiring intense coordination for virtually every flight as the regions wind and weather shifts. Saying that around a SoCal TRACON controller is a fast way to start an argument though, because while their flight routes are more stable they have to deal with more flights, more airports, large amount of restricted restricted military airspace, and mountainous terrain while handling everything from 70mph props on training flights to high speed fighter aircraft in a smaller overall area.

That said, the SoCal region's airports leave a lot to be desired from the passenger perspective. LAX has all the international flights, and it's crowded, unpleasant, and inconvenient to get to unless you live on the west side. Even before the pandemic San Diego International's international flights were a bit of a joke, meaning you need to drive 3+ hours to LAX. For domestic flight everyone prefers their local airport, but often it will require a transfer unless you're going to one of the major hubs. So SoCal does aviation in general extremely well, but air travel not so well.

Last edited by Will O' Wisp; May 25, 2020 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 3:02 AM
them bones

We live about 45 miles from SBA (Santa Barbara) and 70 miles from both LAX and BUR.
Santa Barbara used to be a wonderful experience with it’s tiny little terminal, lack of jetways, and getting your bags outside. About 12 years ago the TSA essentially forced them into building a new terminal and it’s absolutely dreadful. For an airport with less than 1M pax it used to have wonderful connections to every western hub except IAH, but not so much now. The fares used to be comparable to LAX as well, but that has gone away as well.

We use LAX almost exclusively although BUR is great for short hop flights.

LAX is a total beast, a total cluster to get to, but has uber connectivity to virtually anywhere in the world. We fly Delta almost exclusively and now that they have terminals 2 & 3 it isn’t so ridiculous. That being said, aside from the TBIT, terminals 1-8 at LAX are all generally pretty dismal.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
In South Florida, there are 3 international airports, one in each of the 3 major counties/cities (Miami, Fort Lauderdale/Broward, and Palm Beach).

MIA has the most domestic/international range with direct flights to LA, Seattle, and other destinations in Latin America. Fort Lauderdale’s airport usually has cheap fares with airlines like Spirit and Frontier. PBI is more domestic with direct flights to NYC, Atlanta, and most Eastern destinations.

Atlanta has its single major all encompassing airport, the grand hub of Delta Airlines ( still the best airlines I’ve used to date). I think it’s able to reach many global destinations as well as being a national hub.

In Southern California, LAX is probably the most dominant along with San Diego’s airport. For the Inland Empire, Ontario is a good option and it isn’t as crowded as LAX.

I’ve had experiences with JFK and LaGuardia in NY, O’Hare in Chicago ( layover), Dallas ( layover), Seattle/Tacoma, DC ( layover) and Denver ( layover). The worse experiences were layovers in O’Hare, LaGuardia, DC, and Denver.
What's your opinion of the Orange County airport? Isn't it called John Wayne?

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 4:06 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
This. I think some people just don't like being no 2.

I brought up London's figures as to why it needed expanding (over capacity already), and why it was losing out to the other regional airhubs -see Page 2. Why is SSP so riddled with these kinds of knee-jerk reactions? Literally EVERYTHING is a dick measuring contest.
You can politely knock it off with this attitude. The reactions are happening because you demand they be there. Take a moment to think about your own actions before you start whining.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 4:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Technically SNA, but yes, commonly referred to as John Wayne. Primarily a SWA hub used almost exclusively by OC residents.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 9:29 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
You can politely knock it off with this attitude. The reactions are happening because you demand they be there. Take a moment to think about your own actions before you start whining.
Hmmm Xelebes I'll PM you.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 1:34 PM

Isn't John Wayne Airport the one were pilots basically have to approach it like they're flying into Kabul circa 2001 and trying to avoid stinger missiles because the nearby residents (who built their homes around an existing airport) lobbied about the noise?

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 4:54 PM
Pay it Forward

SFO is fine, my only real gripe is the traffice getting there from the East Bay. It's generally hellacious at the just the times I'm on the road getting there.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 5:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

When U/C runway 9C/27C opens up at ORD next year, it will give the airport 6 parallel runways, providing an amazing capacity to launch and land airplanes.

I know that within the US, DFW and ATL each have 5 parallel runways, and many others with 4, but are there any airports globally that have 6 parallel runways?

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 6:38 PM

Heathrow is actually a pretty nice airport, at least Terminal 5 (and the new one, which I’ve only flown through a couple of times). Terminal 3 isn’t great.

Gatwick is absolute garbage. Stansted and Luton also crap but I don’t use them.

City Airport is amazing, because it’s 90% business travel so people carry very little luggage and generally know what they’re doing. Amenities are basic but you usually don’t even need to turn up an hour before a flight, more like 45 minutes. It’s great.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 7:38 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
I actually didn’t know Orange County had an airport.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Isn't John Wayne Airport the one were pilots basically have to approach it like they're flying into Kabul circa 2001 and trying to avoid stinger missiles because the nearby residents (who built their homes around an existing airport) lobbied about the noise?
They have to take off like a ballistic missile. Stop at the end of the runway, brakes on, throttle to full, wait a few seconds for the engines to spool up, brakes off, gain as much speed as possible rolling down the runway, then pull up sharply for a zoom climb to ~1000 feet before cutting the engines over Newport Beach. The transition is so abrupt you typically get a feeling of falling, as the jet enters a low grade parabolic arc over the coastline that lasts until the pilot throttles back up the engines over the ocean and resumes normal flight.

Landings are comparatively normal.

Last edited by Will O' Wisp; May 26, 2020 at 8:13 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 8:34 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Not my city, but I think DFW is underrated. The round terminal design is considered outdated so is the architecture and interior of most of it. Yet that same design also makes it feel less crowded. The automated train works well.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 9:32 PM

Toronto Pearson is pretty good. Terminal which I mainly use is modern. Connections to almost anywhere globally. Only minor gripe is it can be a some distance from arrival gate to customs/exits. Not pleasant after a long haul.

Billy Bishop downtown is convenient and really efficient. Mostly used for regional business travel.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 10:55 PM
E pluribus unum

I went to college in Orange County and flew to Phoenix out of SNA quite a bit. Not bad for convenience, but I absolutely hate the noise abatement takeoff over Newport Beach.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 11:27 PM
them bones

Living in Tempe and Phoenix for as long as I did, I always loved the ease of use of Sky Harbor and its left handed roads. At least Terminal 4 (2 and 3 were dumps 20 years ago). It's so convenient from anywhere in I ever lived in the Valley.

I never changed planes in PHX until later when I lived in Santa Barbara again and understood why so many people just describe it as 'big and brown'.

SNA was nice the few times I flew in and out of there 20 years ago, but haven't been there since. Haven't flown out of ONT for many years. I think the only SoCal major airport I haven't flown out of is Long Beach, but from what I hear it's an old school type experience (walking across the tarmac, smell of jet fuel, etc).

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Not my city, but I think DFW is underrated. The round terminal design is considered outdated so is the architecture and interior of most of it. Yet that same design also makes it feel less crowded. The automated train works well.
I agree on the train. Very convenient.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I actually didn’t know Orange County had an airport.
It's cool, lol!

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Technically SNA, but yes, commonly referred to as John Wayne. Primarily a SWA hub used almost exclusively by OC residents.
Ok, thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions