HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 7:39 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Volumes are WAY down. I read a post in the Canada section stating that the other day, total PAX through YOW (Ottawa) was 120 (normally over 9,000).

Think of that - only 120 passengers flying into Ottawa on a single day!!!

Dr Dr its cause of the Quarantine, My sources tell me this wont even attempt to get any better until July

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 1:39 AM

The renovations continue at the Fredericton International Airport (YFC). The first phase is now completed and open to the public. This includes the new Check-in Hall and a portion of the new Departure Lounge. The second phase will now focus on the arrivals area. Interior work there will begin in earnest next week. This will result in the arrivals area being temporarily relocated to the far end of the terminal near the temporary Car Rental kiosk. The 2-year upgrade for completion is expected in mid-summer 2021.

I've attached a link that provides a couple of photos providing a sneak peek of the new changes.

https://yfcfredericton.ca/Latest-New...uction-update/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 5:48 PM

COVID impact on the NB airports

Quote:
New Brunswick's three largest airports are counting up their losses for 2020 and bracing for more lean years to follow.

"We've seen a 94 per cent decrease in passenger traffic and a 15 per cent decrease in cargo," said Moncton airport CEO Bernard Leblanc, who now expects revenue for the year to fall from $20 million to $8.5 million.

"There's no Air Canada activity and no Porter activity," said Leblanc, "Sunwing and Air Transat, with their southern destinations, ceased all activities in the mid-March timeframe."

As a result, Moncton took a hit at what should have been its busiest time.

Normally, March and April combined would bring some 140-thousand passengers through the doors — most of them looking for holiday sun.

Instead, Leblanc says the only service is WestJet, which comes five times a week from Toronto.

The only way to reach New Brunswick by Air Canada, is to catch the one daily flight to Fredericton, where airport CEO Johanne Gallant says passenger traffic has fallen by 70 per cent.

Meanwhile, she says she's dealing with high fixed costs, such as runway maintenance, which has to be done to the same standard whether one plane is landing or ten.

In Saint John, those fixed costs are running at least $400,000 per month, even though its arrivals and departures board is empty.

CEO Derrick Stanford says no commercial flights means a projected $1.5 million surplus will probably turn into a $1.5 million deficit.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 1:42 AM

Snowbirds just posted their Atlantic flyby for Wednesday. They had to scrub Newfoundland unfortunately, due to weather. They have been sitting at Greenwood since Sunday, so they can't wait any longer. They are leaving Greenwood Wednesday morning around 930am, flying over Charlottetown around 950am, over to Summerside, across to Shediac and landing in Moncton around 1030 for fuel. Scheduled to leave Moncton at 1230, and head north, flying over Miramichi, along the coast around to Bathurst and landing at Charlo for around 130 for fuel again before heading to Quebec.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 9:39 PM

Here's one of the CF Snowbirds on the tarmac at the Moncton Airport this morning. I'll post a couple more later.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 2:46 AM

Looking at Air Canada’s website I seen they posted that they will resume flights from Moncton to Toronto(one flight a day) and Montreal(One flight a day)on June 22 and Porter will résume their flights on the 29th of June. But no word yet on the resumption of the Halifax link yet.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
The renovations continue at the Fredericton International Airport (YFC). The first phase is now completed and open to the public. This includes the new Check-in Hall and a portion of the new Departure Lounge. The second phase will now focus on the arrivals area. Interior work there will begin in earnest next week. This will result in the arrivals area being temporarily relocated to the far end of the terminal near the temporary Car Rental kiosk. The 2-year upgrade for completion is expected in mid-summer 2021.

I've attached a link that provides a couple of photos providing a sneak peek of the new changes.

https://yfcfredericton.ca/Latest-New...uction-update/
Looks amazing! Above and beyond better than what it looked like. Still a bit of ways to go for everything to be complete but it's getting there.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 12:17 PM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ZvDNhCIBgALKP2

Here is a video with a few new angles. I am flying out for work on Monday and will get to see it. I am an essential worker in the north and don't love that I have to travel but at least I should have the space to social distance at our airport now!

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nZ View Post
Looks amazing! Above and beyond better than what it looked like. Still a bit of way to go for everything to be complete but it's getting there.
Based on the original construction sked, there is another year of construction to go. The expected completion is May/June 2021. Not sure how the material supply chain disruption will impact that timeline but if with things slowly starting to open up and still low PAX numbers they should be able to remain on sked.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 10:11 PM

https://tj.news/story/101264653?ref=fb

Anyone who has access to TJ could give us a recap

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbilly View Post
https://tj.news/story/101264653?ref=fb

Anyone who has access to TJ could give us a recap
Omg not this nonsense again? I have no idea why people want to talk about this? Are there not more important things to focus on in this province than this complete and utter BS.?

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 11:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It makes no sense to spend a billion dollars to build a brand new airport equally inconvenient to all three cities when the maintenance costs for all three existing facilities would be far less.

And what would we get from this massive investment? Possibly a daily flight to Boston or New York, and maybe a flight to Calgary? Definitely not worth it.

This is the journalistic equivalent of click bait. Shame on the TJ for exploiting the COVID bored population of NB with this drivel.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 7:51 AM

Quote:
It makes no sense to spend a billion dollars to build a brand new airport equally inconvenient to all three cities when the maintenance costs for all three existing facilities would be far less.

And what would we get from this massive investment? Possibly a daily flight to Boston or New York, and maybe a flight to Calgary? Definitely not worth it.

This is the journalistic equivalent of click bait. Shame on the TJ for exploiting the COVID bored population of NB with this drivel.
Agreed Most folks who want this have no idea of the capital costs related to such a build. They only believe bigger is better. The cost of such a venture with no guarantees of service improvement would be considered foolhardy at best. I have some experience with the costs related to airport construction and thus can confirm that the costs would be prohibitive.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:

I would travel less if I had to go out of town to a "central" airport. I would have to pay a bus to get there, cabs, then a hotel and meals to catch a 6am flight. Then do the same when I fly home. That would add on another $400+ to a vacation.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 7:06 PM

The time to have Sussex be NB's main airport passed by decades ago. It would have needed someone at the dawn of the Hub and Spoke model to recognize it was coming, and to decide that NB needed a Hub and Sussex would be that hub.

Were that the case, Freddy (despite being the capital) would probably be a lot smaller, while a lot of growth would have happened between SJ and Moncton via Sussex and Route 1 in general. A regional airport would be a magnet that would cause SJ and Moncton to grow towards Sussex more than other directions.

Instead of 3 CMA's, we'd probably only have 2 CMA's, and Sussex would be a CA at the cost of Freddy.

While an interesting thought experiment, in this day and age, with 3 well defined cities now, trying to make a regional airport at Sussex would be a Mirabel-sized White Elephant for the province.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 11:37 AM

Having Route 2 run in a straight line from Jemseg to Moncton instead of the old route south through Sussex when it was rebuilt in the 90s should be the nail in the coffin for a Sussex airport.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 11:27 PM

Anyone know why there’s a giant delta plane at the Moncton airport . Find that odd. Was there an emergency cause I thought international flights were banned?

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 11:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbilly View Post
Anyone know why there’s a giant delta plane at the Moncton airport . Find that odd. Was there an emergency cause I thought international flights were banned?
In the T&T - the pilot took ill, and an emergency landing was necessary.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
In the T&T - the pilot took ill, and an emergency landing was necessary.
Thanks !!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 4:30 PM

St John's International held its Annual Public Meeting last night.

The board says it will have to borrow $20 million to keep operating this year, and millions more in the next 3-4 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces