HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:42 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Definitely not the walk around on public streets type either. GT residents are the condo garage to work garage to yoga garage to whole foods garage types.
Probably a lot of the rideshare type as well. Or the on-demand servitude type if you want to look at it another way.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I think the X Denver 3 building looks great. Hopefully we'll see several more of these rise in AS over the next few years.
According to RyanD's rendering this project does indeed look nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Because the taper applies above a certain height threshold and no developer has decided the trade off is worth it yet. Looking at you condo development.
Rhetorical question: how many people walk around looking upward as apposed to forward in the direction of travel that their feet are taking them?

Just the fact that there are now four projects over 20 stories in AS is an impressive improvement. Unfortunately (or not) with projects becoming harder to pencil I'm not to sure how many architectural flourishes we're likely to see unless as you suggest the trade-off is worth it.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Definitely not the walk around on public streets type either. GT residents are the condo garage to work garage to yoga garage to whole foods garage types.

So the gondola idea might actually be a good one because GT residents are probably familiar with the time they parked in Beaver Creek's heated garage and took the escalator up to the Westin's gondola.
My friend at Parq on Speer doesn’t even drive her own car to the garage. She pulls up the lobby and the valet does it for her. And she doesn’t drive to Whole Foods either, she has it delivered directly to her door. Same for laundry and dog walking, both perks available to residents at Parq and other new GT towers.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
My friend at Parq on Speer doesn’t even drive her own car to the garage. She pulls up the lobby and the valet does it for her. And she doesn’t drive to Whole Foods either, she has it delivered directly to her door. Same for laundry and dog walking, both perks available to residents at Parq and other new GT towers.
Ah excellent, great to see they have come up with ways to further minimize the exposure of their residents to the public realm.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 8:03 PM

Who obsesses more over skin color: liberals or conservatives?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
So basically it was like a CHUN, GPHC, or INC meeting (minus someone decrying the developer as a fascist Nazi).
East Colfax Neighborhood Association proposes financial incentives for RNOs that diversify
November 21, 2019 By David Sachs - Denverite
Quote:
When the city government needs a sounding board on decisions big and small, it turns to Denver’s network of registered neighborhood organizations, local groups that ostensibly speak for their neighbors. But while they speak loudly, they don’t always reflect the entire neighborhood. RNOs, as they’re called, tend to be more white and well-off than the places they represent, according to several RNO members who spoke with Denverite.
Can you pass the skin color test?

Phoenix is 41% Hispanic and if you're a young Hispanic adult who has finished High School and some higher education, be it a four-year school or Community College, your odds of getting hired are better than if you are plain vanilla white.

When you go in to apply for a job in Phoenix you're likely to get a skin color test. They have these 'tapes' that will measure how dark your skin color is and if you have pale colored skin then your prospects aren't so good.

Consider American Express; Their site across 56th street from the Mayo Clinic is adding a newly constructed quite large 4-story project that will enable them to grow their workforce to about 10,000 employees. They're obviously using a skin color test because a significant majority of employees have darker colored skin.

Or maybe, just maybe it's all about one's skills and has nothing to do with one's skin color? Perhaps being bi-lingual or even multi-lingual is an important and desirable skill? American Express, for example, has a large clientele from India and Asia?

Are you saying it's OK to discriminate against 'white' people just because they can only speak the 'official' language of America? Yes and yes.

BTW, with Hispanics being 41% of the Phoenix population the amount of economic power and wealth accumulation is strong. And guess what; they have the same desires (and weaknesses) as the 'ruling' white class'. They can be just as protective of their neighborhood and older Hispanics often have differing views from their children about many things. It's all very shocking.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 8:17 PM

That's maybe the most boomer post you've made.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 8:59 PM

Ride-share is Okay but no, no to cars

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/....html?ana+knxv
Quote:
San Francisco developer plans car-less community

The 16-acre site... was chosen for the first car-free neighborhood because of the city's thriving job market, growing population and land available on a light rail station, according to a company statement.

The car-free neighborhood won't allow private cars for residents, although the neighborhood will accommodate parking for visitors and ride-sharing programs.

The community will include a grocery store, coffee shop, coworking space, market hall and other retail, in addition to rental apartments for 1,000 residents. Residents can use the nearby light rail, shuttle bus as well as bikes, scooters and ride-sharing programs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
That's maybe the most boomer post you've made.
No clue but that's Okay.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 9:00 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
When I moved back home about a decade ago, I thought it would be 20 years before ANY A^2 parking lot got developed. We had so much land in GT and US that it just didn't seem possible. fast forward 10 years and we have two giant land barges with lots on 24/7, a two tower condo project hopefully coming soon, several small infill projects, a couple Zocalo cinderblocks, and 2-3 seriously dense residential projects potentially popping up. Incredible!

I rather like the design of X3 as well as it's very upscale looking. I generally think most residential developments exhibit fairly poor aesthetic quality when compared to hotels or office buildings generally, and especially so in Denver, so this is a welcome surprise!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 9:02 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
22 stories? Site prep?..... Jesus that escalated quickly!
They are probably just anxious to get the buildings down in case something crazy happens on the historic front. Who can blame them for worrying about that after the last couple showdowns?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 9:03 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
A similarly situated project, X Phoenix, a 20-story project broke ground in May of this year; you can see the rendering HERE. The first phase will consist of:
  • 253 residential units consisting of studios, one, two, three, and four bedroom apartments.
  • 36,000 square feet of office and retail space
  • 612 office, retail and residential parking spaces, and approximately 200 secured bike parking spaces
AHAHAHA - and us Denverites think we are getting land barges?! Holy crap!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 9:07 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
I like the idea but don't gondolas go a max of 10 mph? A lot of the new development seems to be on Bannock and Acoma. I would imagine if the residents didn't want to walk downtown or bike downtown, the easiest bet would be to just take the 0.

I work in GT. I am glad that it is blowing up. However, I feel that I am the only one on this forum that prefers some of the European architecture to the modern land barges that have characterized this cycle. I feel that the euro-style gives GT a cool sophistication and makes it distinct from other neighborhoods. We definitely need more retail and more trees though.
I wouldn't say I prefer the European architecture overall, but I do prefer it to the modern cereal box towers. Moreso, I enjoy seeing many different styles of arch in GT. This will continue to diversify, which is great!

If I could ever figure out how to post a photo, I would show you an aerial of what GT looked like pre-1960, when the entire area was pretty much leveled - it used to look like the damn botanical gardens (at least by Colorado standards)!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I was taken aback by this quote in the Article:

Brenden Greene recently co-founded the East Colfax Community Collective to give people who aren’t white a megaphone they don’t have through RNOs, in part because a lot of people don’t speak English. Some speak Congolese or Burmese, for example — languages you don’t often hear at RNO or City Council meetings.

“One of the biggest problems by far is language justice,” Greene said. “Sometimes the bill for translation is 400 bucks a night.”

So if you speak only Congolese, and immigrate to the United States, and want to attend a City Council meeting (or a RNO meeting) then you are deprived of "justice" if a Congolese translator isn't provided (presumably at city/RNO expense)?

Interesting view.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
AHAHAHA - and us Denverites think we are getting land barges?! Holy crap!
Agreed; although the quality of that rendering isn't the best. But a full block means a squarish development. HERE's a nicer rendering on an admittedly nicer project advertising the opening of Denver's favorite breakfast joint.

That AS rendering does look real nice.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 12:26 AM

Oh my Stapleton; you've sinned again

https://denverite.com/2019/11/21/a-n...r-east-denver/
Quote:
Rename St*pleton for ALL member Kim Brewer noted that Stapleton, which was developed with an urban redevelopment area, now has high median home prices and few people of color among its residents nearly 20 years after it was conceived.

“We will not allow this to become another Stapleton,” Brewer said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
I was taken aback by this quote in the Article:

Brenden Greene recently co-founded the East Colfax Community Collective to give people who aren’t white a megaphone they don’t have through RNOs, in part because a lot of people don’t speak English. Some speak Congolese or Burmese, for example — languages you don’t often hear at RNO or City Council meetings.

“One of the biggest problems by far is language justice,” Greene said. “Sometimes the bill for translation is 400 bucks a night.”

So if you speak only Congolese, and immigrate to the United States, and want to attend a City Council meeting (or a RNO meeting) then you are deprived of "justice" if a Congolese translator isn't provided (presumably at city/RNO expense)?

Interesting view.
I don't subscribe to the conservative talking points about "assimilating" and being able to speak English fluently for first generation immigrants. But most immigrant communities have offspring meaning most households have bilingual kids capable of interpreting things.

Let's see if we can complicate things even more.
Quote:
Greene said the group will meet separately but also participate in the East Area Plan’s public process, including attending Saturday’s meeting. They want to develop a list of demands that will call for things like adding affordable housing, expanding programs like Section 8 vouchers, supporting the area’s immigrants and refugees, and providing assistance for the disabled.
Now square that with this statement.
Quote:
“I personally have concerns about the increased taxes, the promises of low-income housing that cannot be fulfilled and overall increases in the cost of living that will displace our residents,” Henderson said.
This sounds like anti-gentrification, anti-development aside from more low income housing.

Perhaps (in my best Elizabeth Warren voice) there should be a 25% property tax surcharge for people living in Stapleton so we can keep taxes low for the East Colfax crowd but provide more housing for the poor immigrants. These immigrants may be happy as a lark but some white people believe it's not good enough and the residents of Stapleton should pay up.

Quote:
Among other concerns, Greene and company worry new development will erode the area’s culture. Nebiyu Asfaw, of the Ethiopian American Development Council, said the neighborhood contributes to Denver’s overall identity. It is among the most ethnically diverse neighborhoods in the city;
I have zero problem with diversity; in fact I totally enjoy it. If the city wants to promote through zoning protection an area for immigrants that's fine. The diversity is likely more interesting than a bunch of shiny new mid-rise apartments anyway.

Pick your poison.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 12:46 AM

Then there's the Cole neighborhood

https://denverite.com/2019/11/21/col...ive-in-houses/
Quote:
City Councilwoman Candi CdeBaca wants to put an extra bin in her yard for people experiencing homelessness to use because she thinks they have too few places to dispose of their trash. “These are not problems we’re going to solve relying on the city of Denver,” CdeBaca said. “We have to take care of our community
People have concerns in Candi CdeBaca's 'hood?
Quote:
The first speaker to raise a question at the town hall addressed it to the police commanders, asking what he could expect their officers to do about the trash, human waste and other items he said were piling up in an alley near his Curtis Park home.

As the speaker listed what he’s seen in the alley — tents, clothing, vomit — a woman in the audience interjected: “People.”
I'll give Councilwoman Candi CdeBaca props for the implied idea that maybe someone should consider teaching the homeless to clean up after themselves.

A whole lot going on in many of Denver's neighborhoods.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:13 AM

Quote:
I'll give Councilwoman Candi CdeBaca props for the implied idea that maybe someone should consider teaching the homeless to clean up after themselves.
LOL I dont think that was her implication.

The idea that we just need trash cans for homeless people to clean up after themselves is ludicrous. Obviously homeless are not a monolith, but for every responsible person experiencing homelessness who would like to use a trash can there are several more that would like to rip that trash out of the trash can, throw it all over the street, dance in it, rip it into smaller pieces, throw it in the air, sweep it into a pile, take a dump, and then set it on fire.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:19 AM

Quote:

This sounds like anti-gentrification, anti-development aside from more low income housing.

Perhaps (in my best Elizabeth Warren voice) there should be a 25% property tax surcharge for people living in Stapleton so we can keep taxes low for the East Colfax crowd but provide more housing for the poor immigrants. These immigrants may be happy as a lark but some white people believe it's not good enough and the residents of Stapleton should pay up.
Ludicrous statement on so many levels. okboomer or whatever they say these days.....

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takefive View Post
who obsesses more over skin color: Liberals or conservatives?

east colfax neighborhood association proposes financial incentives for rnos that diversify
november 21, 2019 by david sachs - denverite

can you pass the skin color test?

Phoenix is 41% hispanic and if you're a young hispanic adult who has finished high school and some higher education, be it a four-year school or community college, your odds of getting hired are better than if you are plain vanilla white.

When you go in to apply for a job in phoenix you're likely to get a skin color test. They have these 'tapes' that will measure how dark your skin color is and if you have pale colored skin then your prospects aren't so good.

Consider american express; their site across 56th street from the mayo clinic is adding a newly constructed quite large 4-story project that will enable them to grow their workforce to about 10,000 employees. They're obviously using a skin color test because a significant majority of employees have darker colored skin.

Or maybe, just maybe it's all about one's skills and has nothing to do with one's skin color? Perhaps being bi-lingual or even multi-lingual is an important and desirable skill? American express, for example, has a large clientele from india and asia?

Are you saying it's ok to discriminate against 'white' people just because they can only speak the 'official' language of america? Yes and yes.

Btw, with hispanics being 41% of the phoenix population the amount of economic power and wealth accumulation is strong. And guess what; they have the same desires (and weaknesses) as the 'ruling' white class'. They can be just as protective of their neighborhood and older hispanics often have differing views from their children about many things. It's all very shocking.
wtf

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
wtf
Satire:
Quote:
The use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:56 AM

TakeFive, you're like the Joe Biden of this forum. Let's keep it focused please.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West