HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 7:30 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
I was still in my mother's womb somewhere in suburban Edmonton. Be glad that the tornado never came my way, for you might not have been able to behold my magnificence.
That just makes me feel real old Boris

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 7:34 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
I remember an old farmyard just east of Millwoods on 23rd Ave. The trees were all sheared off like someone took a chainsaw to them about 20-30 feet off the ground. It was still that way when I leved in Edmonton in 1997. Not sure if the area has been developed now or if that old yard is still there.
On the north east corner of 34 and 23? Pretty sure it's developed.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 7:57 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

34th and 23rd has been developed a long time - since 1992? I remember going through that intersection lots.

Anyways, I was just 2 years old - not old enough to remember. I will tell the story that my family was able to tell. We were living in Millbourne (Millwoods), can't recall the address but we got a pretty close view of the tornado. My older brothers were over at their friend's house when my mom tried calling them over before the storm hit.

My dad was working in the west-end in the industrial zone there and was quite oblivious to the tornado. He got to go home early and could only see a pretty strong storm. HE turned on the radio and heard that a tornado was in effect and was going through the east end. He was on 170th when he heard that.

When the tornado approached, my mom panicked. Me and my younger sister were asleep so we really couldn't experience it. My older sister was awake but she barely has any recollection. I know my mom was panicked and she was running around the house, grabbing supplies and getting everybody to the basement. We all hid in the basement for a while.

When we got out to survey the damage, our house was untouched but some of our neighbour's property was trashed by flying debris. I know my neighbour's car was totalled or something.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 8:02 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
On the north east corner of 34 and 23? Pretty sure it's developed.
I remember it being on the south side of 23rd and east of 34th Street but maybe I'm wrong. It was definately still there in 1997 when I still lived in 'the Chuck'.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 8:05 PM
Community Guy

^strip mall if i recall

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 8:17 PM

NE corner of 23ave/34st is now a developed neighbourhood, called Springside. Xelebes, I lived in Millbourne area at that time too, near Lee Ridge School haha

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 8:58 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

I was in Drumheller with my foster family to see the dinosaur museum when the tornado hit. It was hot as hell, with temps probably in the mid-30s in the Badlands and sunny at the time, but I did see large thunderheads to the northwest. No severe weather ever occured in the Drumheller area, and it was a lot cooler the next day with partly cloudy skies.

None of us were even aware that the tornado happened until we returned to our motel by around 4:00 pm. The motel's receptionist, knowing we were from the Edmonton area, told us to check out the news ASAP.

My foster family lived on an acreage near Ardrossan, so of course there was no damage. But the neighbours did tell me that there were "wild clouds" and "action in the skies" during the time of the tornado. Since Ardrossan is a little far to the east, they weren't aware that there was a twister until they heard the news.

A few days before the tornado, I remember seeing a huge and unusual shelf/roll cloud go overhead, and that it also went over Edmonton. It was quite thick and had a striated and smooth sculpted look to it. The sculpted appearance was likely because of strong winds aloft, although it was pretty calm on the ground at the time.

Last edited by CanadianCentaur; Feb 22, 2008 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 9:25 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAH View Post
NE corner of 23ave/34st is now a developed neighbourhood, called Springside. Xelebes, I lived in Millbourne area at that time too, near Lee Ridge School haha
You went to Lee Ridge or Julia Kiniski? If you went to Julia Kiniski, you were probably in the same class as my oldest brother.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 9:51 PM
Derp

^I went to Hillview w00t

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 4:13 AM
DRINK

Quote:
34th and 23rd has been developed a long time - since 1992? I remember going through that intersection lots
The west side yes. It seemed that the city had stalled for years there. The east side must of been not much more than five years ago.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 4:16 AM
Still optimistic

I was nestled in non-existance on the right hand of God (naturaly).

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 4:54 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
That day was surreal.

I have a rather long story as I was at yXD at the time, and saw most of it from there. A really scary departure and people in the PWA crew room wondering WTF Enviro Canada was talking about when PIREPS had more information than "potential convective activity". More like "WTF is THAT!!!!"

Scary departures, huge wind shear, and a lot of white-faced pilots were the norm.

I remember that day well. It had a few friends rather scared, and others near dead.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 6:41 PM
Community Guy

for those who dont know...Canada began its implimentation of Doppler radar because of this tornado.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 7:33 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
for those who dont know...Canada began its implimentation of Doppler radar because of this tornado.
Yup, and everytime a storm nears Carvel, the super old doppler goes down.

That radar station needs to be replaced with newer technology already.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 1:13 AM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
ACTUALLY...

It is the telecom line that keeps going down (I think you'll get a kick out of that). Not the radar station....

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 1:51 AM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonchuck View Post
ACTUALLY...

It is the telecom line that keeps going down (I think you'll get a kick out of that). Not the radar station....
I've heard the same excuse. Whatever... Fix the line. It's not like its 100's of miles in the boonies, and its not a new problem either. In this day and age, you'd think something this important wouldn't be relying on a single cooper twisted pair.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 6:17 AM
why try anymore

It isn't...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 3:42 AM

I remember that day and the days leading up to that day quite well. The clouds were crazy: rolling, dark and foreboding. The humidity was nuts. For years you could drive down Whitemud and see that swath that the tornado cut through the industrial park north of the road.

Quote:
I also remember that when we visited WEM during this trip, the rollercoaster was not in operation due to that man falling out of his seat and ultimately dying. I wanted to go on that thing so bad, but had to settle for the submarine instead.
I remember that day well too. I was at the 7-11 on 149th St and 95 Ave getting a slurpee when 3 cop cars tore past heading west. I remember thinking that something really big was happening.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 4:05 PM

i was in drumheller as well on that day.

the drive back to edmonton was surreal - gas stations and stores all had signs saying "help edmonton tornado victims" and the like.

my family lived in gold bar at the time - very close to the refinery row touchdowns.

i remember being in my back yard a couple of days before the tornado and looking up at a very dark green, swirling, and foreboding sky. something about it made me feel uncomfortable - like i should hide.

i'll never forget that.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 6:47 PM
BANNED

There are apparently two types of funnel clouds, cold funnels and warm funnels. What is the difference in how they form? Do they appear different? And what exactly is a wall cloud?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton