HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Missed that - would have expected a Whole Paycheck. (The Jewel down the street is pretty nice)
There's a Whole Foods already on Kingsbury a little south of North Ave. Also there is a Plum Market on Wells just north of Division which is more upscale and more expensive than Whole Foods last I checked.

Aldi also has a growing customer base of various types of people so can't say im surprised. They sell a bit of produce now (some organic) that is good quality and cheaper than other stores..thats one reason why it's been growing so much the last handful of years.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 3:21 PM
TL;DR

^ That's great news. That space was always intended for a supermarket, although I agree the neighborhood is already well-served by TWO Jewels and Plum Market within a short walking distance, two Potash locations and Target a little further away, etc.

I also thought this location was prime for a Whole Foods, but I guess with the relocation of their existing store to One Chicago they can serve both River North and Gold Coast. One Chicago is undoubtedly a more luxe location as well.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 3:55 PM

Also, there is a Whole Foods already a block from the One Chicago Square location. Moving over there probably won't piss many people off.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 1:23 AM

7152 W North

May 26

Not much progress apparent, but pretty sure it is still active.
Chicago | 7152 W North by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 2:43 AM

Lightfoot introduced an ordinance to legalize accessory dwelling units (press release) a couple weeks back.

Quote:
The code would also allow at least one ADU per building in all residential zoning districts, however ADUs proposed for buildings in select single-family districts (RS1, RS2) would require a special use permit from the Zoning Board of Appeals.
Anyone have a read on how binding a constraint that special use permit will be?

Either way this is a good step towards more affordable housing.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 3:59 AM
TL;DR

^ That's actually an improvement, I think previous versions of the ordinance didn't allow ADUs in RS1/RS2 at all. Certainly the process of applying for and receiving a special use from ZBA is a complicated one; most people are probably better off hiring a lawyer to help them navigate it, so the cost is a serious issue. It probably ends up at around $5000 in lawyer fees and city fees just to get the special use, which isn't great for low-income homeowners on the Far South Side or Southwest Side who might want to build an ADU. Developers, and homeowners in better-off parts of the city, might have an easier time with the fees but I'm guessing the intent of the law is to allow for true granny-flat/in-law situations. Unfortunate since multi-generational households are much more common in the lower-income areas.

That said, most of the neighborhoods you think of as "single-family" are probably RS3 or higher so a single ADU will be allowed as-of-right, probably 60-70% of the city's land area. RS1/RS2 are mainly neighborhoods on the fringes of the city... basically west of Austin or north of Lawrence on the North Side, and west of Pulaski/south of 79th on the South Side. The entire West Side to the city limit is RS-3 or higher. Also, all lakefront neighborhoods are RS-3 or higher, and parts of the city outside of those boundaries above are RS-3 or higher as well.

Unfortunately the ARO ordinance does not make any kind of accommodation to transit... the are around Harlem Blue Line, for example, is all RS-1 and RS-2 but could greatly benefit from some "gentle density". Same for the Pulaski Orange Line, or the 95th Red Line. These are all bus transfer stations with very few walk-up riders, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Last edited by ardecila; Jun 2, 2020 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 9:59 PM

Logan Square

May 21

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 12:00 AM

121 S Ashland - RUSH

May 31

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 2:46 AM

^ I wonder if there will be a skywalk across ashland to connect to the rest of Rush. Yeah I know it would be a massive skywalk but would look so awesome.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 2:15 PM

1122 W Chicago

May 31

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 2:40 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
^ I wonder if there will be a skywalk across ashland to connect to the rest of Rush. Yeah I know it would be a massive skywalk but would look so awesome.
Yes, it's shown in the renderings. There will be an underground tunnel as well to connect utilities.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 6:18 PM

740 Aberdeen

May 31

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 7:26 PM

Hyatt Wicker Park - 1555 N Ashland

May 31

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 11:51 AM

Coyne but not forgotton - 330 N Green

May 31

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 9:52 PM

Steppenwolf

The faceted bushed/raked/combed concrete panels going in looks quite nice

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 12:18 AM
THAT Guy

^Across the street

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There is a zoning app up which details building a new 7 story, 83 foot 8 inch tall building at 1623-31 N Halsted Street which would have 79 residential units or hotel rooms (not sure which one) with ground floor retail, 79 bike spaces, and 0 parking spaces. Owner/developer is Logan Ventures Fund and they bought those properties 7 years ago. They checked the ARO box, so it's probably residential.

Very very close to Steppenwolf Theater (and the expansion going on now) along with the North/Clybourn Red Line stop and all the stores there. Looks like it would knock down these 4 buildings:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/16...!4d-87.6480748

vs. prior plans

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 3:53 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Steppenwolf

The faceted bushed/raked/combed concrete panels going in looks quite nice

Indeed, I like the fact that the pattern is not all in the same direction. I pray the sealant/caulking between those panels is done cleanly...and fixing the one damaged piece with a missing corner chunk..

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 4:15 PM

Hoping these projects bring enough demand to see the brown/purple lines Halsted station brought back at point. After the Division stop is reestablished.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 5:06 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Hoping these projects bring enough demand to see the brown/purple lines Halsted station brought back at point. After the Division stop is reestablished.
Doesn't really seem like the highest priority to me, there's little value in duplicating an existing station that is well under capacity. For most Northsiders a change of trains at Fullerton could not be easier, for people south of that point it's just a slightly longer walk to the Red Line vs. the Brown/Purple Lines. Division too is somewhat redundant now that CTA opened a Red Line entrance at LaSalle, but at least it's further away from the Red Line and it brings more of the Cabrini area into walking distance of a L stop.

I'd rather see CTA spend the money on straightening the sharp curves just east of Halsted, the travel time between Sedgwick and Armitage is embarrassing.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 6:03 PM

Definitely not needed now, but I'd like to see North/Clybourn grow to be a node with an energy like Milwaukee/North/Damen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development