HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 8:24 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SAN ANTONIO | The Flats at River North | 5 FLOORS | Complete

1011 BROADWAY | FIVE STORIES

NRP plans to build this residential development with ground floor retail on a lot at the southwest corner of Broadway and Jones in River North.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Sep 5, 2018 at 12:19 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 12:20 AM
JACKinBeantown

Who cares about the cookie cutter design? It has ground level retail!

It will be an awesome intersection because that ground floor retail will join what's already on the other two corners.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4352...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Who cares about the cookie cutter design? It has ground level retail!

It will be an awesome intersection because that ground floor retail will join what's already on the other two corners.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4352...7i13312!8i6656
The design is very cookie cutter and a signature of NRP for sure, but damn if the continued density of River North doesn’t excite me. Soon, River North will merge with the development in Lower Broadway and all that will merge with downtown and Southtown creating on very nice urban core.

In my opinion, the next big hot spot coming in the Midtown area near Main St/Gay Strip bear Sac.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post

In my opinion, the next big hot spot coming in the Midtown area near Main St/Gay Strip bear Sac.
I hear bears are known to be around the Gay Strip area.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 2:44 PM

I'm a little surprised that this is just a standard apartment at this location, there are taller and better things happening north and south of this on Broadway. Of course there are some things proposed and built years ago that are of similar height but it seemed like development was starting to push past that on Broadway proper and I was hoping most of the 4-5 story residential stuff would start being on secondary streets. I'm extremely excited that things are moving forward though! Slightly afraid of the number of developments in the inner city that will be exempt from SAISD taxes... I'm thinking San Pedro north of 35 will be a hotspot soon, so much empty land and an improving connection to downtown with the roundabout opening!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2008 View Post
I'm a little surprised that this is just a standard apartment at this location, there are taller and better things happening north and south of this on Broadway. Of course there are some things proposed and built years ago that are of similar height but it seemed like development was starting to push past that on Broadway proper and I was hoping most of the 4-5 story residential stuff would start being on secondary streets. I'm extremely excited that things are moving forward though! Slightly afraid of the number of developments in the inner city that will be exempt from SAISD taxes... I'm thinking San Pedro north of 35 will be a hotspot soon, so much empty land and an improving connection to downtown with the roundabout opening!
I think the San Pedro corridor north of IH 35 is going to be extremely vital to the future of SA because it is targeted as a high capacity transit corridor. If SA is going to go the route of "Transit-Oriented Development," San Pedro would be a no-brainer because it's wide and links up with a park-and-ride facility at North Star Mall. If I was the city, I would be looking to pile on all the density it can handle.

Additionally, Fredericksburg just outside of downtown could use a massive economic boost. Lot's of potential there as well.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:27 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntransplant View Post
I think the San Pedro corridor north of IH 35 is going to be extremely vital to the future of SA because it is targeted as a high capacity transit corridor. If SA is going to go the route of "Transit-Oriented Development," San Pedro would be a no-brainer because it's wide and links up with a park-and-ride facility at North Star Mall. If I was the city, I would be looking to pile on all the density it can handle.

Additionally, Fredericksburg just outside of downtown could use a massive economic boost. Lot's of potential there as well.
Fredericksburg, San Pedro, Blanco, Culebra, Commerce, McCullough, and Broadway are all corridors where density would work well adjacent to downtown.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 1:48 AM

SAN ANTONIO │ Broadway Jones │ 5 FLOORS │ Proposed

This development will be on the next HDRC agenda.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 4:11 AM

It looks like retail Jack.

The street pattern for S.A. is annoying for density. (Think further north on Broadway)

I think this area with residential and office is a good candidate for residential shells at least. Torchey’s or Cyclone Anaya’s anyone???

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 11:54 AM

Jack loves retail!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 2:13 PM
JACKinBeantown

Thanks, guys. Made my day.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 10:05 PM

This project is up for HDRC approval on the fifth of September. Staff recommends approval. Here are the full renderings of this residential development. There will be retail along both Broadway and Jones Ave.

CROSS STREET PERSPECTIVE

BROADWAY AND JONES

JONES AVE AND AVENUE B

BROADWAY AND 10TH STREET

STREET PERSPECTIVE

BROADWAY

JONES AVE

AVENUE B

10TH STREET

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 6:17 PM
James

This is probably my favorite one yet going up on Broadway, in terms of residential.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 12:43 AM
JACKinBeantown

Lotsa retail. Jack likes retail.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 7:43 PM

Here is more information from Rivard Report. Includes more details about retail portion.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...roject-on.html

"The partnership is seeking to build a 283-unit apartment complex on 2.5 acres across from Maverick Park, according to recent plans submitted to the HDRC. Units in the development — tentatively named 1011 Broadway — will range from 539-square-foot studios to one-, two- and three-bedroom units, with the largest units measuring 1,687 square feet. Planned amenities include a fitness center, pool, lounge, rooftop clubroom, business center and cafe lounge.

The building's design includes at least four retail spaces on the ground floor, with a 5,920-square-foot space reserved for a restaurant. The other retail spaces will range from 2,004 to 4,517 square feet. The middle of the complex will include a parking deck with entrances along Broadway Street and Avenue B. It will have 447 parking spaces, including 60 spaces reserved for retail customers."

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:09 PM
JACKinBeantown

The architecture is cookie cutter, but the substance seems to be just right.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 4:23 PM
James

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 4:58 PM
James

From some of the notes and what I read on the SA Heron, they seem to have recommended that the Broadway side be designed a little better.

Broadway apartment design draws scrutiny from design commission

Quote:
Those balconies looked like they were glued on,” Michael C. Connor told the NRP Group design team. “And if you look at the corner of Jones and Avenue B, and Jones and Broadway, that overhang is substantial in length and it suits the massing that it’s on, and it looks integral to the design. It doesn’t look superfluous.”

Proposed apartments facing Broadway at Jones Avenue.
Ryan Moody, NRP Group’s director of design, made the point that, although Broadway traffic is due to slow down via the 2017-2022 bond complete streets project, traffic still zooms down the street. Therefore, the design emphasis was on the street-level restaurant space, rather than the building’s upper floors.

“We’re really trying to … let the rest of the mass be a little more simplistic in nature to draw more attention to the ground,” Moody told the commission.

Connor disagreed with the notion that drivers will speed down Broadway once the apartments are built, especially with curb cuts as part of the NRP Group’s design.

“When it’s occupied, it’s going to slow down,” Connor said. “I would encourage you to seriously reconsider what you’re doing on Broadway.”

Connor and other commissioners praised the project’s other sides. The project eventually received conceptual approval.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 2:52 AM

They have started doing demolition work at the site

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 8:57 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio