HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 5:15 PM

[QUOTE=Fireoutofclay;4917103]No prob Mercury, and thanks for the compliment. Here's another for you guys. I drew this one up about 5 years ago. Thanks to Sketchup I get to "3d" my drawing. Tell me what you think, a mock hdrc if you will... Miaht could use your input, you've made some good points previously.

I love it.. I like how you Kept the buildings from the corner of 3rd and Alamo. That way the HDRC has no but in the say so.... You can get rid of all the other old buildings on that block. Not cute at all. even if they were Hystoric...
About the crown of the building it could almost look like First Babtist San Antonio Church in downtown. I like it. I like how you keep a theme in a whole block or section... that's nice!

I kind of have a challenge.. I am not fortunate to be talented as you all who design like that. But I always wonder what would the Lot on these three streets would look like in the future. Avenue E, 3rd Street and E houston St. (Emily Morgan Hotel)
What would the Emily morgan Hotel Would look like if they Expanded in that whole triangle shaped Lot and if offices and recidential took place as well?
I can see somethink Manhattan like in that Lot.... what you all think?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay View Post
No prob Mercury, and thanks for the compliment. Here's another for you guys. I drew this one up about 5 years ago. Thanks to Sketchup I get to "3d" my drawing. Tell me what you think, a mock hdrc if you will... Miaht could use your input, you've made some good points previously.

Northern Wall Village
Travis / Alamo / Third / Broadway

Mixed used community:
Boutique Hotel, Lofts, Apartments, Condos, Retail, (you decide which is which), parking garage, plaza

Tallest Building: 476ft

Well, like others have said, I like that the builidings on the corner of Alamo/3rd were kept; it would be easier to get past the HDRC that way. The one thing I would say about it is that it is probably about 100 feet too tall. Even if it were 376, it would still be our tallest residential tower and tall enough to make an impact on the skyline (for those that care about that sort of thing.) With fewer units, it might also allow the garage, which I'm placing on the corner of 3rd/Broadway, to be the same height as the rest of the 6-7 story buildings on Broadway, keeping the bulding line even.
I would like for SA to not overextend itself vertically; instead encourage buildings to be zero lot, pushed forward towards the street, or at least increase the density slightly in certain areas of the city.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 5:26 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Thanks guys. I love skyscrapers, and I wish San Antonio had more. I have about 25 or so models (buildings, stadium, parks, monuments, etc) that I've been working on over the years, but only about 6 of them are over 400'.
I'm with you Miaht, I'd like more skyscrapers, but not too many. About 80% of my buildings are built on what are currently parking lots, and I love this city too much to ever "knock down" any older historic buildings. In fact, I 've ressurected a few. Mercury, you'll be happy to know that one of my renderings is an expansion of the Emily Morgan Hotel (its just begging for it, don't you think )
I try not to build residential close to the sidewalks. I might if either traffic is light, the complex includes a parking garage, or the street offers metered parking. Safety first! I see Travis Street as a good example. BTW The Downtown Alliance wants to convert Houston and Travis to one way steets, what do you guys think about that?
My garages are usually built a little larger because there is a need for it. I can name about 11 hotels that either do not have a garage and offer valet, or whose garage is relatively small and frequently fills up. I work inside a parking garage that leases space to some of these hotels. Only 1 of the 4 or 5 new hotels on Houston St. has a garage. I wouldn't be surprised if one is being planned right now.
Originally, the tallest structure of the Northern Wall Village was 324 feet tall. I only made it taller because of its proximity to the Alamo and Riverwalk and what i'm sure would be an amazing view of the city. Plus I built a large At&t building next to it, so I figured it could use the extra units.
Thanks again guys, its really cool to have people check out out my stuff. JJG, where have u been, man? you're fallin behind, lol i wanna see more from you. Ydoc, the Suroeste is a jewel, how about some more?

Last edited by Fireoutofclay; Sep 18, 2023 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 5:43 PM

[QUOTE=Fireoutofclay;4920158]
Mercury, you'll be happy to know that one of my renderings is an expansion of the Emily Morgan Hotel (its just begging for it, don't you think )

Can We all See it. PLEase PLEASE... please!!!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 8:12 PM

Quote:
BTW The Downtown Alliance wants to convert Houston and Travis to one way steets, what do you guys think about that?
Is it for streetcar purposes??
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 12:54 AM
Funkytown's finest

Wow, nice to see all these ideas LOOONG before I originally made one.

Sorry, I just kinda got burned out and surrounded by different things.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Ydoc, the Suroeste is a jewel, how about some more?
Right now my creative talents are being put to other things ...so you've got the floor!! KEEP PUTTING ON A GOOD SHOW!!!!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 3:05 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Is it for streetcar purposes??
No, it is because of the traffic situation that Houston endures pretty often. Travis is not nearly as busy, but in order for Houston to go one way, a companion street must go the other way. When i was a kid, Houston had four lanes and the Via buses went through there. It was even busier than it is now.

Last edited by Fireoutofclay; Sep 18, 2023 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 1:10 AM

Great designs..... What about a Hemisfair Park Idea? Mixed use and a 24-7 atmosphere, something like Time Square but equally for the locals.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 12:50 PM
Funkytown's finest

Man, how do you get the window texture? I've been killin' myself tryin' to figure that out.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 1:01 PM
Funkytown's finest

And ALL your designs are amazing, guys. Maybe if we keep somethin' like this, SOMEBODY will pay attention.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 2:43 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Man, how do you get the window texture? I've been killin' myself tryin' to figure that out.
I have to download images and crop/edit them to get the texture I want. Googling specific terms like "glass window" or the like is how I usually find them. I also take the pictures myself, walking around downtown.

Last edited by Fireoutofclay; Jul 31, 2010 at 2:56 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 3:13 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
Great designs..... What about a Hemisfair Park Idea? Mixed use and a 24-7 atmosphere, something like Time Square but equally for the locals.
I've been working on a Hemisfair design off and on for about a year. It's kinda over the top, but it was for fun so i figured what the heck. I'll start working on it again and post it when it reaches a finished look.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 9:02 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

At&t Whitacre Tower

Broadway / Third / Martin / Jefferson / Pecan

Consolidated office building:
This rendering is a consolidated At&t workforce into one building, as its 4 smaller office buildings are converted to residential.

702ft

I have no idea what those thin vertical black lines are about...

fireoutofclayattbuilding 01 by Fireoutofclay, on Flickr
firoutofclayattbuilding 012 by Fireoutofclay, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fireout...7624647209400/

Last edited by Fireoutofclay; Sep 15, 2015 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 9:39 PM
San Antonio

awesome

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 9:07 AM

Very nice! Keep 'em coming.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 2:53 AM
San Antonio

Im not very good at this but i had fun

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 3:48 AM
Funkytown's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo_pro View Post
Im not very good at this but i had fun
Better than anything I could come up with.
lol

Nice.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 3:55 AM
San Antonio

thanks!!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 11:08 PM

I know this forum is called SkyscrapersPage, but honestly, I don't really understand the hype about building taller. I've heard things about skylines and civic pride, but even that seems a bit weird to me.

I guess I'm wondering what a great skyline does for you? Or why some people think its important to have skyscrapers? My design aesthetic and preference tends to run to mid-rise, and more on a human scale; but I'm curious.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio