HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 1:13 PM

Entire U.S. can party with S.A.

Entire U.S. can party with S.A.

Web Posted: 12/29/2006 10:33 PM CST

Stefanie Arias
Express-News

Celebrate San Antonio, the city's official New Year's Eve party, isn't just for San Antonians this year.

The celebration will be showcased on CNN's Anderson Cooper's New Year's Eve Special. The broadcast is live from New York City, with segments from San Antonio and other destinations, including New Orleans, Chicago, Los Angeles, Key West, Fla., and Iraq.

Teresa Keck, vice president of special events for the San Antonio Parks Foundation, said an estimated 250,000 people are expected to attend the celebration throughout the evening.

"We have the largest New Year's celebration in Texas," Keck said. "No other place in the state provides a free block party like we do."

Keck said that's what sparked CNN's interest in the event. Up to 1 million people are expected to watch the live broadcast, and 500,000 more may see it on the West Coast replay.

A new partnership with the San Antonio Parks Foundation and BMP Radio will lend a different sound to this year's celebration. BMP stations include Jammin 94.1, Digital 104.1, La Ley 95.7, Norteno 720 and Jack FM. Each station's format will be showcased on a stage at the event.

More than 50 food and beverage booths will be at the celebration as well as games, rides and family entertainment.

"This celebration caters to families with young kids and with older kids, too," Keck said.

The finale of the event will be a 17-minute fireworks display from the Tower of Americas sponsored by Valero Corner Stores. While the poor weather of past years didn't deter people from coming to the celebration, Keck's fingers are crossed that this year's clear weather forecast holds true.

Celebrate San Antonio kicks off at 6 p.m. Sunday on South Alamo Street between Market and Durango streets and throughout La Villita. Anderson Cooper's New Year's Eve Special airs from 10 p.m. to midnight on CNN.

Beginning at 8 a.m., police will close Alamo Street between Durango and Market and Nueva Street between Presa and Alamo. There will be restricted access to Market between Alamo and Interstate 37. From 11:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., police will close Bowie Street between Market and Durango.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

See you there!!!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 3:00 PM

Hooray for SA! I always thought our New Years Celebration was one of a kind!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 12:38 AM
Meh

Awesome. I would love to see that fireworks display from the Tower of the Americas. I've only ever seen pictures.

250,000 people down there for the festivities. That's a huge number. The largest gathering ever for Austin was 240,000 at the 2000 Millennium celebration and the Halloween party on 6th Street usually draws 80,000 to 100,000.

250,000 people down there really says something about San Antonio and its downtown. Imagine the possibilities with more residential and a full scale grocery store and other services there.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
250,000 people down there really says something about San Antonio and its downtown. Imagine the possibilities with more residential and a full scale grocery store and other services there.
Yep, a lot has to do with all the neighborhoods surrounding the immediate downtown area, they may be older but a hell of a lot of people live in them. Also keep in mind dt sa has plenty of medical facilities and all it needs is a good grocery store and more condos! The future is bright.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 2:10 AM

It could also be that CNN is coming. I think it is the largest (amount of people in Texas), but I think Houston has the largest fireworks display in Texas.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 3:45 AM

Quote:
ITraeSlab713-It could also be that CNN is coming. I think it is the largest (amount of people in Texas), but I think Houston has the largest fireworks display in Texas.
Whether CNN is here or not, the party continues. Last year the city predicted over 300,000. But most years the crowd is between 200,000-350,000 people.

BTW, let me know when you find proof that Houston has the largest firework display in Texas.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 4:16 AM

I made a mistake. It was for the Fourth of July celebration in Houston, not New Years.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 5:48 AM
I'm one fathom tall

Location: Sicilia (Sicily) 6 months a year/ Texas 6 months a year
Yes it is 4th of July that Houston's is largest not New Years.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Big Pimpin? What the hell son

Io sempre voglio la fica della mia mogile.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 6:41 AM
Meh

Is it the 4th of July that they do all the fireworks off the skyscrapers in Downtown Houston?

Anyway, back on topic, I don't think CNN broadcasting the celebration has all that much to do with the celebration's size. It might add to the coolness and excitement, but I think people will go down there with or without it just as they've done in the past.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:57 AM

If you're talking BIG numbers downtown didn't the pope back in the 80s? bring some insane numbers downtown? And what about the battle of flowers every year i know thats 200,000+ easily...The problem with getting anymore people downtown for the new years event is that its a small area. It's basically hemisfair park which has to deal with all these people if they opened up la villita for it and some other areas perhaps the alamodome parking lot? that number could total a lot more.

Anyway I probably won't be going due to some personal issues with my gf so i'll be watching the fireworks from a house on Fulton street (if you are familiar with sa) So hopefully i can still get a good show!

Everyone be safe!!!!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:49 PM

DOesnt the Battle of flowers parade bring more than 500,000 downtown? I think so.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Paul in S.A TX-DOesnt the Battle of flowers parade bring more than 500,000 downtown?
Yes it does. In fact, I believe it's the 2nd or 3rd largest parade in the country.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
DOesnt the Battle of flowers parade bring more than 500,000 downtown? I think so.
That sounds like a tall tale That's like the entire city of El Paso or Fort Worth stopping by.

500K? I don't care how long the parade route is, they couldn't cram that many people on the sidewalks. Especially if a certain percentage are carrying a wide load

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 6:23 AM
Meh

Check out your CBS affiliates, folks. They're airing the entire festivities along the Riverwalk in San Antonio right now. Very cool, the Riverwalk looks beautiful.

Happy New Year!

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 3:37 PM
Dryer lint inspector

i was in san antonio for the bowl game and the following day (new years eve) and fuck...that place was too crowded.

took a crap load of pics though.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 11:11 PM

Saturday, April 29, 2006
Description: This parade has been lovingly called the ’’People’s Parade’’. And for a very good reason, it is viewed by more than 500,000 people along its 2.6 mile route through beautiful downtown San Antonio. Plus, there are an additional 1.5 million television viewers watching its live broadcast.
Venue: Downtown Date: 4/29/2006 thru 4/29/2006 Time: 7:35 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.
Organization: Fiesta Flambeau Parade Association http://www.fiestaflambeau.org
Contact Info: n/a n/a 210/733-9141
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 11:16 PM

I was wrong 250,000 for the Riverwalk parade,375k for the Battle of the Flowers and 500,000 for the night parade.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
kornbread-That sounds like a tall tale That's like the entire city of El Paso or Fort Worth stopping by.

Quote:
Paul in S.A TX-I was wrong 250,000 for the Riverwalk parade,375k for the Battle of the Flowers and 500,000 for the night parade.
Thanks Paul!!!

Here's a quote from the Fiesta Flambeau web site- It has been called, “America’s largest illuminated night parade.” The millions, who have watched it light the way to the final weekend of the feasting and frolicking that is Fiesta, say that it is also the BEST.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 5:00 AM

I hear the city 30 years ago use to feel dead during the big fiesta parades cause so many people would go...Now its certainly not like that but the numbers are bigger than ever.

Anyway, i didn't get a chance to go downtown for new years eve...How was it?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 5:37 AM

Well, that's great guys, but the source is the parade organizer, and surprise! They claim to be the best. Imagine that.

500k - Seriously consider how many people that is and where the parade goes. The parade route is 2.6 miles. How much space is there for the crowd?

Think of the security needed. Think of the cleanup. How do they get there and how jammed up would the streets be when they leave?

I don't doubt they get a good crowd. No one can really say since the crowds are just estimated. Like I said it sounds like a tall tale or a one-up story.

I can see the Battle of Flowers organizers celebrating "Wow! We drew 375 thousand people this year".

Then the Flambeau guy stands and says "Oh yeah? Well we drew..." pauses and puts pinky to corner of mouth "...5 HUNDRED THOUSAND!" The evil laughter erupts...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio