HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 6:11 PM

I guess I'm not a huge shopper. But talking about a mall and it's soul. It's a bloody mall with corridor's and stores designed to sell stuff... St. Vital food court is nice. But the rest is just a mall. Stores, tile, windows. Santa makes up the malls soul? I don't really understand. I don't go to the mall to enjoy the ambience. I go there to buy shirts and leave.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 1:19 PM
Transit Nerd

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/five-tee...qRDjmWiWit1azc

Quote:
WINNIPEG -- Police are describing a coordinated theft at a Liquor Mart Wednesday as brazen and chaotic.

It happened around 6:20 p.m., when a Winnipeg Police Service spokesperson said they received a report of multiple people trying to shoplift in a group.

Const. Rob Carver said five arrests were made.

“Everyone we arrested was a youth. Quite young, actually, some as young as 14,” said Carver.

He alleges the teens were going after a large haul.

“It was hundreds of bottles. Almost a couple hundred,” he said, describing the event as unusual.

“I haven’t really seen, in my career, something as brazen as this.”

Carver did note that police across Canada are seeing a new pattern of shoplifting -- in groups, in all kinds of retail settings.

“Where sometimes groups are coming in, some are attempting to distract staff, while others are attempting to steal product,” he said, adding it was the bold, chaotic nature of this incident that made it stand out, as well as the young age of the suspects arrested.
One thing I have noticed out in Calgary: this never happens out here.

Hell, before 2017, this NEVER happened in Winnipeg either. But ever since, its like the free-for-all at Foody Goodys...

Privatizing the liquor stores might help - or might make these a fuck of alot worse... I think maybe they just need either better security, that or more jobs for young people in Winnipeg, because if they are starting to pull these stunts so brazenly, its only a matter of time before it starts showing up elsewhere around the city.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post

Hell, before 2017, this NEVER happened in Winnipeg either. But ever since, its like the free-for-all at Foody Goodys...

Privatizing the liquor stores might help - or might make these a fuck of alot worse... I think maybe they just need either better security, that or more jobs for young people in Winnipeg, because if they are starting to pull these stunts so brazenly, its only a matter of time before it starts showing up elsewhere around the city.
Yeah I heard that about Calgary. There’s no shoplifting there. Also everyone farts rainbows. It’s quite the scene.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 3:26 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
I agree. My husband and I drove across Winnipeg to attend the Children's Hospital Book Sale at St. Vital Centre yesterday. The stores are same old same old except for Oomomo. I liked looking at all the Japanese Made stuff. I bought 4 books and it took us forever to drive home in the pouring rain. I would not make another special trip to St. Vital Centre. I prefer Polo Park.
I'm not sure that it's St. Vital Centre's fault that it was raining or that you live far away.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 4:10 PM

Honestly I just can't imagine anyone making the trip to St. Vital that isn't closer to or similar distance from Polo. Polo is far and away the superior mall, St. Vital is good for people in the area, but that's about it.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Honestly I just can't imagine anyone making the trip to St. Vital that isn't closer to or similar distance from Polo. Polo is far and away the superior mall, St. Vital is good for people in the area, but that's about it.
Most people that live in St Vital do their shopping at Polo anyhow.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 6:30 PM

^ That might be overstating things a bit... Why go across town when you don't have to?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Most people that live in St Vital do their shopping at Polo anyhow.
I live in Old St. Vital and always go to Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ That might be overstating things a bit... Why go across town when you don't have to?
Because Polo is a better mall with far better stores and selection. The only clothing stores I would ever buy something at in St. Vital are Sport Chek, and maybe RW & Co. Both of which are at or near Polo and Seasons. Also shop at The Bay occasionally, but usually online or maybe Polo, as St. Vital and Portage have terrible selections.

There's no reason for me to ever go to St. Vital. Men's selection is an embarrassment – so much so they only list 10 men's stores on their website. That includes Jets Gear, Sport Chek, and Walmart. And I don't think anyone is rushing down to go to International Clothiers or "Urbanology."

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 7:56 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Yeah I heard that about Calgary. There’s no shoplifting there. Also everyone farts rainbows. It’s quite the scene.
I meant the mass liquor shoplifting. As for everything else? I've seen the cops directly haul people off the aisles all of the time lol. Regular shoplifting happens in Calgary all of the time, but last time i checked, there wasn't any mass raids to the liquor stores out here, stealing everything they can carry... Winnipeg seems to have that distinction with liquor.

So is it something with how the LC cant run a single location with brains? Or is it something deeper, like a lack of jobs and things to do? Because maybe if there was a combination of both, that or a lower drinking age, maybe there wouldn't be a bunch of kids running off with thousands of bucks in bottles and texas mickeys...?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:00 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The only clothing stores I would ever buy something at in St. Vital are Sport Chek, and maybe RW & Co. Both of which are at or near Polo and Seasons. Also shop at The Bay occasionally, but usually online or maybe Polo, as St. Vital and Portage have terrible selections.

There's no reason for me to ever go to St. Vital. Men's selection is an embarrassment – so much so they only list 10 men's stores on their website. That includes Jets Gear, Sport Chek, and Walmart. And I don't think anyone is rushing down to go to International Clothiers or "Urbanology."
Portage Place stores are best for the skinny. As a bigger guy, those clothes dont fit me. At all. Found out the hard way, from always being a cheapskate and buying the cheapest Stitches/Urban Planet/INC stuff that i could find.

If they have XXL, which shrinks to XL just as their XL shrinks to L/M, then i tend to buy it. But otherwise, avoid. Its not just selection (their selections are bleak at best), but its quality of clothes and size too. I like buying clothes that last.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I live 5 min walk from st Vital and never go there. Polo has much better stores, even The Bay at Polo is miles ahead with better brands and selection and a a more modern store. I don’t know a whole lot of people that regularly shop at St Vital.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 11:11 PM

If I was St.Vital I would take advantage right now while Polo Park is still deciding what to do with the Sears location. St Vital should at least try to secure the first, Uniqlo, the first Sporting Life, the first Zara, the first Miniso, the first Muji, is it hard going up against the Cadillac Fairviews, the Oxfords and the Ivanhoe Cambridge’s...yes but they can still try

Even Halifax shopping centre has a Zara and a Miniso already.

Kildonan Place landed H&M before St.Vital, to me that’s not a good sign, St Vital seems to always be chasing Polo Park and even now the outlet mall. St Vital needs to be more proactive if they want to compete with Polo Park, and the only way to do that is to get the upper hand on what’s not in the Winnipeg market yet.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 7:21 PM

Save The Snarky Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I'm not sure that it's St. Vital Centre's fault that it was raining or that you live far away.
I stated a fact that it was raining and we live across the city. I did not infer that St. Vital Centre was at fault for this. I prefer Polo Park. I like the Children's Hospital Foundation Book Sale. It was at St. Vital.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:

Uh no. I have seen this happen going back in the 90s. I worked retail for several years at a prominent grocer in a good middle class part of Winnipeg. Professional shoplifters have existed for as long as I have probably been alive. They work in groups and try and divide in conquer when they can. Sometimes one or two will act as a distraction to staff while others make off with goods.

A common tactic in grocery stores would be to fill the outer part of a cart with bulk items like diapers, toilet paper, paper towels - items that are too big to put into plastic bags (that is why cashiers are instructed to put thank you stickers on them as they are scanned to prove purchase) - and fill the inner area with cheese and meat, hidden behind the bulk items. Those items, of course, are the easiest to sell on the streets.

Offhand, I have seen my share fair of tv reports describing flash mobs of people shoplifting convenience stores and other retailers. It became more prevalent as social media became prominent. One or two people announce plans to shoplift a specific retailer at a specific date and time and invite others to take part. When a large number of people show up to steal from the unfortunate retailer, they are powerless to stop it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6d5wGaT2Qo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZAGW_wEyw

And who could forget that mob of people stealing from retailers during the Vancouver Stanley Cup riots.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 8:28 PM

Not only is Polo Park superior with regards to unique stores in Winnipeg, men's clothing options and higher end clothes, the mall's layout is superior. Two stories, north to south - The Bay at one end with the food court at the other end - with one corridor branching off in the lower level to the east entrance, and in the upper level, a corridor branching off in a semi-circle returning to the main corridor. St. Vital is a mess of corridors branching off all over the place and the corridor setup leading to Walmart is awkward to put it mildly.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 12:12 AM
GQMF

We definitely need an Uniqlo.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 2:48 AM

Forever 21 is shutting down operations in Canada as they have filed for bankruptcy in the States.
The are 2 locations in Winnipeg
Polo Park and Outlet Collection

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 2:49 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Uh no. I have seen this happen going back in the 90s. I worked retail for several years at a prominent grocer in a good middle class part of Winnipeg. Professional shoplifters have existed for as long as I have probably been alive. They work in groups and try and divide in conquer when they can. Sometimes one or two will act as a distraction to staff while others make off with goods.

A common tactic in grocery stores would be to fill the outer part of a cart with bulk items like diapers, toilet paper, paper towels - items that are too big to put into plastic bags (that is why cashiers are instructed to put thank you stickers on them as they are scanned to prove purchase) - and fill the inner area with cheese and meat, hidden behind the bulk items. Those items, of course, are the easiest to sell on the streets.

Offhand, I have seen my share fair of tv reports describing flash mobs of people shoplifting convenience stores and other retailers. It became more prevalent as social media became prominent. One or two people announce plans to shoplift a specific retailer at a specific date and time and invite others to take part. When a large number of people show up to steal from the unfortunate retailer, they are powerless to stop it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6d5wGaT2Qo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZAGW_wEyw

And who could forget that mob of people stealing from retailers during the Vancouver Stanley Cup riots.
I meant, specifically, mass liquor shoplifting. It's virtually unheard of, anywhere else.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 2:57 AM

Evidently Toronto is not anywhere:

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight...king-away.html

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 5:08 AM

Quote:

I am not a supporter of guns. However, on the flip side..let these people try this IN USA, they will be SHOT dead in a second and store owner will not be charged whatsoever. I kind of wish that could happen just once here to act as an example, teach these soulless amoral Thugs a lesson.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan