HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 6:56 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Build It View Post
I like the drive southeast of Calgary through Medicine Hat and southwestern Saskatchewan. Yeah it's flat, but you can see for miles. Very cool.
You're the first person I've ever heard say that. In fact, you're the only person I've ever seen who doesn't LOATHE that part of the Trans-Canada

I do enjoy the area around Swift Current, but as someone who has driven the Calgary-Winnipeg route dozens of times, that last bit from Medicine Hat to Calgary is about the most boring drive on the planet. And I've been up and down I-29 the entire way (for those that don't get the reference, imagine 14 hours of wheat and corn, combined with run-down industrial towns).

I guess it just goes to show that there's always someone that can find the beauty in anything. Which is a good thing, in the end.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 9:54 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
You're the first person I've ever heard say that. In fact, you're the only person I've ever seen who doesn't LOATHE that part of the Trans-Canada

I love the Prairies, the big sky, Western Manitoba and even Saskatchewan..but I struggled to stay awake between the Medicine Hat to Calgary segment of my drive out west.

Now that is a truly existential place.

I didn't even know the meaning of 'bald prairie' till I rode that stretch of highway, and I thought Manitoba was flat, but at least we have trees.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Jan 3, 2007 at 10:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 2:58 PM
Has been

You can always look forward to holding your breath as you pass through Brooks.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I love the Prairies, the big sky, Western Manitoba and even Saskatchewan..but I struggled to stay awake between the Medicine Hat to Calgary segment of my drive out west.

I didn't even know the meaning of 'bald prairie' till I rode that stretch of highway, and I thought Manitoba was flat, but at least we have trees.
It can't possibly be worse than the 70km stretch between Regina and Moose Jaw, can it? I havent driven between medicine hat and calgary since I was young, what's it like?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 5:16 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
It can't possibly be worse than the 70km stretch between Regina and Moose Jaw, can it? I havent driven between medicine hat and calgary since I was young, what's it like?
There's not a whole lot between Calgary and Medicine Hat. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. although, my drives through the Southwestern US have always been enjoyable, and it is basically flat and treeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

That stretch from Calgary to Medicine hat is not a whole lot different than the rest of trip east through Sask and Manitoba. There are a few more trees in Minitoba and Saksatchewan portion, but not much, and it isn't any more interesting IMO.

Last edited by Surrealplaces; Jan 3, 2007 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 6:48 PM
Home of Hyperchange

To be fair, pretty much the entire drive between Winnipeg and Calgary is flat, lifeless, and an overall snooze-fest. There's a bit around Swift Current that is interesting, and the valley around Brandon has a few minutes of charm, but that's about it.

I just focussed on a part that was in Alberta, as I've already seen what happens when you dare to point out that the prairie in SK or MB is anything but exciting.

Mostly though, it comes at the end of a long, boring drive (when heading west), and just when you think you're close (hey, the 'Hat is right next to Calgary comparitively!), you're forced to endure another 2.5 hours of dull.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 7:08 PM

Quote:
To be fair, pretty much the entire drive between Winnipeg and Calgary is flat, lifeless, and an overall snooze-fest. There's a bit around Swift Current that is interesting, and the valley around Brandon has a few minutes of charm, but that's about it.

I just focussed on a part that was in Alberta, as I've already seen what happens when you dare to point out that the prairie in SK or MB is anything but exciting.

Mostly though, it comes at the end of a long, boring drive (when heading west), and just when you think you're close (hey, the 'Hat is right next to Calgary comparitively!), you're forced to endure another 2.5 hours of dull.
True, the drive between Calgary and Winnipeg doesn't vary much, and that's probably why I like the stretch from Calgary to Medicine Hat, a couple of hours of wide open area where you can see for miles with bright blue sky, is a bit an adventure. Any longer and it gets really tedious.

The area just to the west of Winnipeg until Portage la Prarie reminds me alot of the area just to the east of Calgary for 100km or so. Flat farm fields.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 10:01 PM

Definitely the best drives between Calgary and Winnipeg are off Hwy 1...Qu'appelle Valley, Cypress Hills (south east of Medicine Hat). I too struggle to see what's to like on the Trans-Canada between Medicine Hat and Calgary.

I also like the area North East of Calgary (Drumheller), and east of Red Deer (Stettler, Dry Island Buffalo Jump, etc).

The "Cowboy Trail" down south is another favourite (if its not busy :-)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
To be fair, pretty much the entire drive between Winnipeg and Calgary is flat, lifeless, and an overall snooze-fest.
But it's great, flat, and straight enough if you ever wanted to try a top-speed run. I had my WRX pushing over 140 somewhere in the middle of Sask (after passing a truck, I figured I was already more than half way there, so kept going)...My friend and I also managed somewhere north of 160 in his Stealth Twin Turbo some 12-13 years ago...keeps it from being a "snooze-fest" ;-)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
But it's great, flat, and straight enough if you ever wanted to try a top-speed run. I had my WRX pushing over 140 somewhere in the middle of Sask (after passing a truck, I figured I was already more than half way there, so kept going)...My friend and I also managed somewhere north of 160 in his Stealth Twin Turbo some 12-13 years ago...keeps it from being a "snooze-fest" ;-)
I had my Dad's '94 Stealth R/T Twin Turbo up to about 160mph on highway 11 just north of S'toon (divided, no traffic). And about 180kph on circle drive. Oh to be 16 and stupid again...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 10:45 PM

The drive down Highway 40 from the transcanada to the Kananaskis Lakes kicks ass as well, that would have to be my favourite place to hike and camp.

The Ghost recreation area north of Kananaskis would have to rank as one of the top ATV/Dirtbike areas I've ever been to too. Trails everywhere, through streams, foothills, forests... and then at nite you camp in some spot cut out near a logging or gas pipeline access road. Good times.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 11:03 PM
Dreaming in Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousmike View Post
Unknown to many, The Bow River downstream from Calgary has some of the best flyfishing in the world.

Flyfishing is to Calgary as mosquitofishing is to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 11:07 PM
Westgate Newbie

I found out that my car can do at lease 130 just north of Brandon on the way to clear lake. Ahhhh good ole' Hondas

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 11:32 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferguy View Post
I found out that my car can do at lease 130 just north of Brandon on the way to clear lake. Ahhhh good ole' Hondas
130 kph? wooooooo! (I know you likely mean mph, but meh)

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 6:53 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
I have to assume you're using mph, because seriously, 140 kph on the prairieTrans-Canada is BORING (and slower than the average... ).

Now, 140 kph on the Icefields Parkway, or around Terrace Bay - now THAT is fun. And exceedingly dangerous. You quickly learn the limits of your handling skills, though.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 2:39 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
It can't possibly be worse than the 70km stretch between Regina and Moose Jaw, can it?
A friend of mine from Regina says you could drive that stretch without moving the steering wheel.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
A friend of mine from Regina says you could drive that stretch without moving the steering wheel.
pretty much, that stretch of highway is perfectly straight except for a sharp curve right in the middle which often catches people off guard

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 5:23 PM

Quote:
I have to assume you're using mph, because seriously, 140 kph on the prairieTrans-Canada is BORING (and slower than the average... ).

Now, 140 kph on the Icefields Parkway, or around Terrace Bay - now THAT is fun. And exceedingly dangerous. You quickly learn the limits of your handling skills, though.
Yes, MPH. The Stealth was a '94 R/T as well with the 6-speed and 320hp...and I was way more than 16 :-) Two friends and I "officially" found it's top-speed just north of Winnipeg - 168mph. The WRX topped out at about 142mph - and got there relatively quick. Depending on the car, 130mph does feel fast - I had a del Sol VTEC that topped out just over 130mph but because of feeling less planted than the WRX, it actually felt a lot faster (the top off also helped with the feeling).

Fly-fishing is well-known here - and can be done year-round. I didn't try fly-fishing until moving to Calgary. The first I found out that it wasn't just a "local" thing, I was working in Toronto and had gone for dinner with a couple colleagues up from Atlanta to do some performance tuning. When I introduced myself, and mentioned I was from Calgary, one of the guys quickly said "that's one place I want to go to!"...when I asked why, he responded with "some of the best fly fishing around!".

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 9:20 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post
Flyfishing is to Calgary as mosquitofishing is to Winnipeg.
No mosquitos this year in Winnipeg, but TONS in Alberta. The first time I worked for the summer outside Manitoba and they had one of the best summers ever while I was slapping myself silly out west. Oh well, that life.

I like fly fishing, but I still prefer to fish for bass, pickerel, big jacks, and Manitoba's famous 40 pound channel cats; best challenge you can get on the prairies.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 9:26 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Yes, that is a very straight stretch of highway. I actually came close to falling asleep once driving there; its that boring. But I really do love driving through the prairies. It has it's own beauty and charm, especially when you can see the kick=ass sun sets and moon rises.

I also love driving in the shield. Lakes every two kilometers and large rock outcrops; this is my favorite place in the whole world

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan