HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 1:41 PM
heavy user of walkability

I think this has been mentioned before, but it's kind of under the radar... from the train I have a view of the SF TRAFFIC COMPANY & FORENSIC SERVICES DIVISION FACILITY going up

a bit blurry

related Examiner article

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 8:01 PM

^^ "MAKING A SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTION TO THE URBAN SETTING IN WHICH IT’S LOCATED", which setting appears to need said contribution It is a nice looking building though. I wish more of those downtown were as nice.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 8:29 PM

If any of our photographers happens by 1001 Van Ness, which has been under demo now for months, love to see a few shots. Also any info about whether construction is proceeding immediately or only after some delay would be welcome.

And if you happen to also photograph the BRT work I'd you for it. My condo manager sent out a memo they were doing asphalt paving on the east side of Van Ness between McAllister and Eddy this weekend which is very good news if it means they've finished the utility work on both sides in that stretch and are ready to start putting in the actual bus lanes/wires/boarding platforms in the center of the street.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^ "MAKING A SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTION TO THE URBAN SETTING IN WHICH IT’S LOCATED", which setting appears to need said contribution ...
yeah, I kind of mentally write off that whole industrial-ish area between the freeways south of Cesar Chavez, and so it actually strikes me as a bit strange that one would try to make a project good-looking or improve its setting there. on the other hand, this is the third new building that I have noticed (from the train) going up there in the last few years, so maybe this is the start of some sustained change? there was also this idea a while back; not sure what became of that

on the other (east) side of the tracks in that area, the City has embarked on its massive upgrade to the wastewater treatment facilities (here and here), and visible activity has picked up there recently as well. right now it's hard to get pics because the sun angle in the morning, but as the days get longer I'll try to get pics in the evening.

Last edited by timbad; Feb 22, 2020 at 9:08 PM. Reason: added images

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
speaking of Folsom makeovers, I had thought the redo of Folsom itself would have been farther along by now (I hadn't been by in a while), but big bits of it still look like this:

ah, but John King reminds us this is actually still on schedule, so my expectations were off (his last pic is the same section as mine above, taken from the opposite side):

(of course, in my notes from the first time I became aware of the project, it says it was due to be done in Summer 2018!)

Last edited by timbad; Feb 22, 2020 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 12:49 AM

^^Folsom was planned to be the shopping (in Britain, "High") street of the Rincon Hill neighborhood but that was before brick/mortar retail was grievously wounded by online. I wonder if the same number of store fronts are still going into the new buildings and if they are being occupied.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 9:39 AM

Quote:
If any of our photographers happens by 1001 Van Ness, which has been under demo now for months, love to see a few shots. Also any info about whether construction is proceeding immediately or only after some delay would be welcome. ...
[check]

you'll see there is a crane base built, so I assume they are going forward with construction?

Quote:
And if you happen to also photograph the BRT work I'd you for it. My condo manager sent out a memo they were doing asphalt paving on the east side of Van Ness between McAllister and Eddy this weekend which is very good news if it means they've finished the utility work on both sides in that stretch and are ready to start putting in the actual bus lanes/wires/boarding platforms in the center of the street.
here is a series of shots starting at Post St and moving south. some are taken facing north, some south, but I think you are familiar with the area and will remain oriented

Geary-ish

at Eddy itself

I have more of other blocks (I walked up to Lombard and back); I just have to go through them. if you have any specific requests, I'm happy to look

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 3:50 AM

All the road construction south of Folsom on 2nd street and around Rincon Hill feel like a neverending construction story...and without that cool flying ferret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
ah, but John King reminds us this is actually still on schedule, so my expectations were off (his last pic is the same section as mine above, taken from the opposite side):

(of course, in my notes from the first time I became aware of the project, it says it was due to be done in Summer 2018!)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:05 AM

Wow. I've been gone from SF for almost a year and the Van Ness construction looks exactly the same.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Wow. I've been gone from SF for almost a year and the Van Ness construction looks exactly the same.
I don't want to give them credit where they don't deserve it because as far as I'm concerned this project is a fiasco, but since 12 months ago a LOT has changed (should have been more). They have essentially wrapped up the utility replacement on the west side of Van Ness and about 9 months ago began working on the utilities on the east side, starting in the McAllister to Eddy blocks which they apeear to have now completed and repaved. This means they can shift the traffic lanes back away from the center of the street and begin working on the BRT lanes, at least in this section as the published schedule calls for them to do. Whether they will I can't say.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 2:56 AM

Per Yahoo!

A 40-story glass apartment high-rise is going up on the corner of Mission and South Van Ness Streets in San Francisco.

A new apartment high-rise in San Francisco will add 550 housing units priced between $3,500 and $9,900 a month.

The tower is called Fifteen Fifty and sits in the city center in a neighborhood that is being rebranded as "Van Mission."

Apartments are now being leased, and future residents will have access to a rooftop pool deck, a private park, and more.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/san-franc...194729909.html

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 3:11 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Man, I hate it when people leave their shit by the pool...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ Man, I hate it when people leave their shit by the pool...
I must digress, the $9,900 a month 3 bedroom piqued my interest a little more.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 5:39 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
I don't want to give them credit where they don't deserve it because as far as I'm concerned this project is a fiasco, but since 12 months ago a LOT has changed (should have been more).
I am on Van Ness often, both walking and driving (including by your complex), and have thought about you. Yes, it does seem like progress is being made more rapidly now throughout.

Last Saturday night after a concert at Davies Symphony Hall, we couldn’t cross Grove Street at Van Ness since the entire northwest part of the intersection had been ripped out, including the curbs. The next night after a recital, we crossed with no impediments, since everything had been redone and completed. I was amazed at how much had been accomplished within 24 hours.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Per Yahoo!

A 40-story glass apartment high-rise is going up on the corner of Mission and South Van Ness Streets in San Francisco.

that project has its own thread

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 4:41 PM

Looks like there is some activity at the site of 546 Howard

https://imgur.com/a/JjI3KlY

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 6:50 AM

kind of sneakily, this one looks like it is well underway

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 8:13 AM

also, happened by this one this last weekend

through its fence on Turk:

nearby, 500 Turk has also been fenced off

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 8:26 AM

This article about 500 Turk said contruction should begin "early next (this) year" so probably it is about to.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 6:28 AM

getting back to the Van Ness theme, I had forgotten about this little guy next to the SFPUC building...

... and at the northern end, this is Van Ness and Filbert...

... Van Ness and Union ...

sidewalk on Van Ness at Union

the two together

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations