HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 8:10 PM

Pretty much every day--I live there.

But if you mean the Financial District or the heart of downtown, not at all because everything shut down/closed up and I'm not willing to ride public transit so it would be difficult. I can walk there but usually by the time I do that and walk around a bit, I'm pretty tired and normally take a bus home. Not taking busses now.

SF has authorized offices to reopen at 25% capacity and also some indoor dining (50% I believe) so maybe soon there'll be a reason to go there again. Now that I'm vaccinated, I'll feel more comfortable taking an Uber home.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 8:15 PM

I had to go to lower Manhattan today, and that was the first time I was there since last Fall. Other than bike rides mostly bypassing Midtown Manhattan, I haven't set foot there since the lockdowns began.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 8:26 PM

In AZ, I work in downtown Tempe, and have continued to come to Tempe fairly regularly since about May 2020. But I used to go to downtown Phoenix 1-2 time per month on average for work, and another 1-2 times per month for fun, and those have been almost totally eliminated. I haven't gone for work at all I don't think since the pandemic (everything has been on video), and I only went for fun for the first time in about a year earlier this month.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 9:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
I used to go to DTLA about once a month before Covid-19. My wife and I would walk all over and check out the new development, and then grab a meal and drinks. After Covid-19 started up, we went down there one time and it was so overrun with homeless that it didn't feel comfortable to walk around anymore. Then this happened in broad daylight, which spooked me a bit as well:

Family With 2-Year-Old Child Threatened at Gunpoint in Downtown LA Robbery Caught on Video

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...video/2520536/
That's pretty freaky I'd agree. During the day in what looks like a pretty decent, busy area.

That horrific fatal daytime carjacking in DC also looks like it happened in a pretty decent part of the city. (I was in that area of DC with my kids just a couple of years ago.)

Freakish things can happen at anytime, anywhere.

But when they start happening more and more regularly in areas usually deemed safe, in broad daylight, that's when it starts to get eerily reminiscent of the bad old days of the 1970s and 1980s in US big cities.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 9:48 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

I biked to my job in downtown San Francisco before the lockdowns. Since then I've only driven my car through downtown twice on my way somewhere else. I did not see a single thing open either time; there was no reason to be there except to see the ghost town with my own eyes.

I've been to downtown Los Angeles once since the lockdowns, and I did have to get out of my car but only inside garages. DTLA had some car traffic but the sidewalks were pretty dead and everything was boarded up. I've been to downtown Sacramento twice in the last year, and had to get out of my car both times. It's not as dense as other big-city California downtowns so there was less risk in walking around the Capitol grounds a bit. Downtown Sacramento seemed the least shuttered of the three downtowns, and I'd ascribe that to it being the state capital. But I had a hell of a time finding a place to buy lunch all the same.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I biked to my job in downtown San Francisco before the lockdowns. Since then I've only driven my car through downtown twice on my way somewhere else. I did not see a single thing open either time; there was no reason to be there except to see the ghost town with my own eyes.

I've been to downtown Los Angeles once since the lockdowns, and I did have to get out of my car but only inside garages. DTLA had some car traffic but the sidewalks were pretty dead and everything was boarded up. I've been to downtown Sacramento twice in the last year, and had to get out of my car both times. It's not as dense as other big-city California downtowns so there was less risk in walking around the Capitol grounds a bit. Downtown Sacramento seemed the least shuttered of the three downtowns, and I'd ascribe that to it being the state capital. But I had a hell of a time finding a place to buy lunch all the same.
I drove down once or twice (when the bridges were up) - usually take the El. about 1/2 the reasonably priced food places are closed, but that leaves over a dozen open within a few blocks so I am not starving.

In Oak Park ( a suburb next to Chicago ) most of the restaurants are still open, inside seating just starting back up. People ate outside all through the winter months - in little tents with heaters.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:

That must have been earlier in the pandemic. Things have picked up a lot in DTLA the last couple of months, although there are still some boarded up businesses, and things pretty much clear out at night. I would say foot traffic is back to about half of pre-pandemic levels.

This is from a few days ago:
Video Link

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 10:44 PM

^It's so great to see DTLA coming back to life. It was hitting such an amazing stride before the pandemic!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
That must have been earlier in the pandemic. Things have picked up a lot in DTLA the last couple of months, although there are still some boarded up businesses, and things pretty much clear out at night. I would say foot traffic is back to about half of pre-pandemic levels.

This is from a few days ago:
Video Link
Ever since outdoor eating reopened, things are more vibrant.
Now with some indoor restaurants open, even better.

People had nowhere to go before lol.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:20 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Yeah, June 2020.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, June 2020.
Yea, that was probably the worst period.
Oof, it was bad

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:51 AM

Quote:
I haven't been down to the FiDi to look but my guess is SF is worse because I suspect a higher percentage of the SF workforce can and is working from home meaning all the office buildings are empty and that means the supporting retail--dining spots etc--have no reason to be open. Also, in the retail area--Union Square--tourist traffic is critical and there isn't any right now. And finally, indoor malls have been required to close.

Some of this is now changing since we've entered California's "orange" tier. The urban malls (SF Centre etc al) are allowed to reopen with 25% capacity I believe it is. So are offices and some like Facebook have announced plans to bring some workers back. But I don't believe it's happened yet. I'm told the Union Square retailers boarded up during the George Floyd riots last summer and haven't bothered to unboard . . .yet (told this by a friend who worked near there and periodically goes down to check with his former employer about possible reopening).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 3:34 AM

I used to go maybe once a week for work/meetings, but now I have been a grand total of twice in the last year. Both for some activity my kids had rather than something I was doing.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 8:13 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I'm told the Union Square retailers boarded up during the George Floyd riots last summer and haven't bothered to unboard . . .yet (told this by a friend who worked near there and periodically goes down to check with his former employer about possible reopening).
No, San Francisco boarded up in March 2020 and that is one of the main reasons why we left the City then.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 9:45 AM
video et taceo

This is Stockholm, so nothing ever closed. There have just been some changes in business hours. I go downtown fairly regularly, as I live in a downtown-adjacent area. The only visual evidence of COVID-19 is masks on maybe 10-15% of people and lower traffic levels.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 11:21 AM

If you count the West End (and you should), then quite a lot. I work there normally so for about 2 months when we were back in the office it was maybe 4x per week. And then probably once or twice a week almost from the start, because I would pass through on my bike (and later, in the summer, for takeaway food). I’m normally in central London 5-6 days per week.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 11:38 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
No, San Francisco boarded up in March 2020 and that is one of the main reasons why we left the City then.
I was there early that March and businesses were beginning to shut down that week. We arrived when no one was overly concerned but in a matter of a day or so...the reality of the covi-pocalypse set in. Our conference was cut short and people were checking out of our hotel en masse.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Yeah you guys are right downtown businesses in many US cities started boarding up well before George Floyd was killed.

It was in anticipation of being closed for a long time due to the pandemic.

No one at that time could have predicted the summer's unrest.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 11:33 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Yeah, I previously posted an article from the local NBC affiliate entitled San Francisco's Union Square, a Boarded-Up Ghost Town that was published on March 23, 2020--months before George Floyd protests occurred in San Francisco. And it wasn't just Union Square that boarded up in late March last year, all the larger commercial districts were boarding up by then too. Mayor Breed locked down SF on March 16, 2020 and the city went silent almost immediately.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
This is Stockholm, so nothing ever closed. There have just been some changes in business hours. I go downtown fairly regularly, as I live in a downtown-adjacent area. The only visual evidence of COVID-19 is masks on maybe 10-15% of people and lower traffic levels.
Ah, I loved this post.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions