HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 6:55 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
It's actually pretty easy to visit every MSA in CA. Just drive up the entire length of PCH and CA-99 and you'll hit up like 90% of them. There's great places to visit everywhere along the way. I'm pretty sure I've been to every one without even really intending to. And yeah I've been to Needles... and Brawley... and Trona... Some real Hills Have Eyes shit out there

I googled Trona...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 2:21 AM

I've never been to Pittsfield. Even when I lived in Amherst, I never bothered to make it out there.

I've been to both Presque Isle and Caribou in Maine, yet still somehow have never been to Pittsfield, Massachusetts.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 3:33 AM

I mentioned on the first page that I've been to all 3 counties in Delaware.

I should add that I have been to (and photographed) all 57 municipalities in Delaware.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 4:44 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Possibly the strangest place in California is Deep Springs College. Passed by there a few times, though never stopped.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 5:15 AM

New Jersey (Birth State) :
Never been to Atlantic City

Florida
I've been to every major metro in the state but for some reason I have never been to the Tampa Bay area.

As for smaller metros I haven't been to yet? :
Gainesville
Ocala

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 5:44 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post

Florida
I've been to every major metro in the state but for some reason I have never been to the Tampa Bay area.

Gainesville
Ocala
I've been to all the major coastal areas in FL except for Daytona down to the Palm Beach area. Also never been to Orlando. Even been to Tallahassee which was very nice.

AC is the only place in NJ I've yet to visit as well. Never had a strong desire to go.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 6:47 PM

Growing up in California, I have never been to Fresno.

I think that that's relatively common, as it is not on I-5, unlike Bakersfield or Stockton.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 7:10 AM

Georgia & Florida

Border baby / youth with strong family history in Georgia and Florida. Georgia is primary home state though - Georgia Peach.

I've been to basically every corner and bigger metros of both Georgia and Florida. Although spent more time in some than others.

Georgia: All metros with lesser time in Augusta and never really to the NE Georgia mountains

Florida: All metros with lesser time in Pensacola and never to SW Florida - Fort Myers, Naples

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Yeah, it's interesting how interstate regional connections are often stronger than intrastate ones. As a kid growing up in Erie, I had been to Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and State College (aside from small places in western PA), and then to Philadelphia later as a teen. But nowhere else in terms of the larger places in PA.

However, I had been to Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Ithaca, Binghamton, Albany, Schenectady, Olean, Elmira, and NYC and other smaller places throughout NY. All before I had ever been to PA cities like Reading, Williamsport, Lehigh Valley, Scranton-WB, Johnstown, Altoona, Lancaster-York (which I still have never visited, but need to!).

Summer is the best time to go! July and August, especially (the waters off Erie are really warm usually by mid-July... low 80s). I would definitely recommend a baseball game -- it's a nice minor league park right downtown, so there's lots of bars/breweries/restaturants within close proximity. And Presque Isle is pretty much the best thing about Erie, so it's a must do when there. There's definitely a lot to do in the Erie-Chautauqua region in the summer.

The city of Erie is pretty rough. Things are looking up with a lot of downtown and bayfront investment happening... but it's rough and rusty as hell in much of the core. If you ever make a trip, PM me and I'm happy to give you some native recs!

Johnstown has some cool history, a few things to do, some great industrial-era architedcture, and it's in close proximity to some nice natural areas in the Laurel Highlands. I don't know that it's a place that I would go too far out of my way to visit... but like most of us on here, I'm fascinated by urban settlements regardless of their current conditions. The downtown is pretty depressing and dead (at least it was 2 years ago when I was last there). I would say Johnstown is more of a pop-in, afternoon visit type place... check out the Flood Museum, ride the incline, have a bite and beer, and get out of town.
When in that area of southwest PA be sure to check out F.L.Wright's Fallingwater house, plus the memorial to the heros of the flight that went down on 9/11/01 not too far away.

I live in SoCal. Never been to the cities of the northern Sac Valley...Chico, Redding, etc. Never been to the remote northestern part of the state...Alturas, etc. although I did climb Mt. Lassen in 1976. I have been to all of coast from north to south, but haven't seen much of the Colorado River Valley, even Lake Havasu. Never been to Needles where Spike lives.

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 27, 2021 at 9:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I've seen much of Southern California including the CV..and Needles. How many people have been fucking to Needles? As well as up to the SF Bay Area up into the Napa Valley area. California is just long and takes several trips to see further flung areas. I will be 87 by the time I visit Eureka.
Hmm. You actually got off the freeway in Needles?

No, I've never been lol. I've seen Blythe! Kind of.

I just saw Mojave last week. That must be one of the more depressing towns in the state. Wtf.

Oh, I went to Bakersfield for the first time. It's....not as shitty as everyone says. Its not exciting or anything, but it's not some giant POS.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 3:15 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
Growing up in California, I have never been to Fresno.
99 didn't even get close to interstate standards till the 2000's or later, so I-5 was the travel option for LA/Yosemite (for NOR CAL), although if a person is looking for stops 99 is still the way to go.

Quote:
I think that that's relatively common, as it is not on I-5, unlike Bakersfield or Stockton.
Stockton has an advantage with having 99 and I-5 close.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Honestly, I think my heart skipped a beat I was so startled by it. I think I remember the bridge being painted yellow, but I'm not sure about that.
Agreed, The drive through Ft. Pitt tunnel has no equal in terms of dramatic entrance into a downtown area. In fact, from just about any direction (except maybe downtown approach from Penn Avenue) there is not gradual transition to downtown its just cross a bridge, or come around the bend, and boom your in downtown Pittsburgh; I love it.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
Agreed, The drive through Ft. Pitt tunnel has no equal in terms of dramatic entrance into a downtown area. In fact, from just about any direction (except maybe downtown approach from Penn Avenue) there is not gradual transition to downtown its just cross a bridge, or come around the bend, and boom your in downtown Pittsburgh; I love it.
Even Lincoln Tunnel? Ft. Pitt is dramatic because you don't see it, then you suddenly see it, but Lincoln Tunnel literally dumps you out into the middle of chaos.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 9:51 PM

I was born and raised in NYC and I been to every metro area in the state, but, I never been to Suffolk County, NY. I think I'll take a drive to Montauk Point this summer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Even Lincoln Tunnel? Ft. Pitt is dramatic because you don't see it, then you suddenly see it, but Lincoln Tunnel literally dumps you out into the middle of chaos.
Well I'm a jaded NYer, I'm more focused on the ensuring traffic mess that I have to navigate rather than the urban scenery that I know all so well. But I do enjoy the immediate approach to the Lincoln Tunnel as you come down to the entrance of the tunnel. The view of midtown before you make that final turn, especially at sunset, is spectacular.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:10 AM

I've been to all of them except the Escanaba micropolitan area in the UP.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 4:31 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Hmm. You actually got off the freeway in Needles?

No, I've never been lol. I've seen Blythe! Kind of.

I just saw Mojave last week. That must be one of the more depressing towns in the state. Wtf.

Oh, I went to Bakersfield for the first time. It's....not as shitty as everyone says. Its not exciting or anything, but it's not some giant POS.
Been to Mojave a couple of times...depressing and bleak. Bakersfield reminded me of a big west Texas town...with fog..and as for Needles, i had relatives who moved there from England and always heard my grandmother talk about it so I had to check it out.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 4:42 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post

Florida

Gainesville
Ocala
Ocala’s pretty hilly for a Florida town.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Ocala’s pretty hilly for a Florida town.
So is Tallahassee. It's almost like a piece of Piedmont from Middle Georgia was placed in a little area of Coastal Plain.

But that's partly why the capital and the Capitol of Florida is placed there (i.e.: a higher elevation area halfway between Pensacola and St. Augustine).
The Capitol building is probably on the highest hill and the immediate Downtown area is hilly. The area then flattens out and looks more like the greater surrounding area.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:33 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Tallahassee is a nice town. Was pleasantly surprised and exuded that old school southern charm. Stark contrast to south Florida and the Bay Area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions