HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 2:35 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Various iterations of this view of Park Avenue have for me always been truly timeless, iconic photos of "The City"

source
yep. This is one of the images that sold me on NYC when I was a kid, leafing through my Dad's National Geographics.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 3:25 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

NYC invented the concept of "downtown" and that precise word to define it.

It's the ultimate archetypical downtown IMO.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 12:50 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Yes, but in a specifically US/Canadian context whereby “downtown” is readily associated with tall buildings, important commercial activity, and cultural amenities. In that sense, Manhattan is the holy grail by which everything is measured against. However, Manhattan has essentially evolved from its early days as a larger, grander Philadelphia into something more analogous to Paris in so far as the entire borough now constitutes the whole core. It’s such an outlier that it’s its own distinct archetype—a blend of the archetypal American CBD with a European form and a certain level of chaos/intensity redolent of mega cities in Asian and Latin America.

Chicago is the archetypal downtown city these days. Its urban model is more relatable and, in theory, replicable at various scales for just about every American city.

Last edited by Quixote; Mar 23, 2021 at 1:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 4:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
NYC invented the concept of "downtown" and that precise word to define it.

It's the ultimate archetypical downtown IMO.
although the picture features midtown, as downtown, as you know, is at the southern tip of Manhattan (aka financial district)
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 4:45 PM
Dryer lint inspector

New Orleans

NOLA_01 by jmancuso, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 4:49 PM

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Various iterations of this view of Park Avenue have for me always been truly timeless, iconic photos of "The City"

source
I love those old NYC 2-color traffic lights. Instead of yellow, for the clearance phase, the red would light up for a few seconds while the green was still on, and then the green light would turn off for the stop phase.

For LA's old semaphore traffic lights, the clearance phase would have all signals showing "STOP" for a few seconds, and then the "GO" semaphore and green light would show.

Just an aside.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 9:34 PM
The New Republic

My first idea of 'city' was formed by London UK. It was where I was born and lived till 11. Oddly, the image in my head was always of a Victorian era London with soot covered buildings, grey skies, smoke bellowing from chimneys, and Mary Poppins standing on a roof top.

When my family moved to America (the Canadian part), Manhattan slowly replaced London when I thought of city or metropolis. It's still Manhattan for me although Montreal and Toronto factor into that imagery as well. Below ia a very iconic Toronto street scene. This couldn't be confused with any other city. A 1920s skyscraper, a Mies skyscraper, and one of those unmistakably Toronto streetcars. The second photo is more of the same. It's odd how I've come to associate the TTC logo with big city. Flags hanging from a 1914 skyscraper completes the picture.

Metropolis

Untitled by Peter C, on Flickr

Big City

Untitled by Peter C, on Flickr

Last edited by isaidso; Mar 23, 2021 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 9:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

before the Pan Am building

boweryboy

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 12:29 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Kids in the suburbs beat the summer heat by running through lawn sprinklers; kids in The City just opened up the fire hydrants. This is my childhood image of summer in The City:

source

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
Rue de Rivoli in Paris in 1988
I've known this thing in little childhood and teenage. In fact, it was pretty much the same until recent years, though less congested than it was for the past century.

Anyway, the latest redistribution of lanes feels so damn comfy that I already forgot what it was before.

You have to acknowledge, driving cumbersome cars away only makes the city all the more pleasant.
I don't care about the political controversy. It's just a fact. And only facts matter here.

By the way, they still have to clean up that side of the façade of the Louvre that's been dirtied by decades of heavy traffic. And it won't be cheap to do it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions