HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 8:02 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
A sad reality of those Perimeter plans is the province wants to down grade Portage (HWY 1) and the Perimeter to a diamond as a cost savings measure.

By making Portage into a diamond the existing bridge decking can be slightly reworked to handle six lanes of through traffic by repurposing the merge/exit lane into a through lane. If they kept it as-is there would be major reworking needed to accommodate six through lanes.
I don't mind it. To me, interchanges - clover leaf or system should be reserved for Hwy to Hwy. If the truck traffic comes off because of the Bypasses (i know, they may never be built) it will only handle commuter traffic.

Most of the major US cities that I have been to driving all generally use some form of diamonds for road access to freeway. Toronto, Minneapolis, Denver, Chicago, Miami, San Fransisco, etc, etc
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 8:29 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Speaking of highway-to-highway connections, I was just thinking about what to do with the 101/15 junction. People might have asked this many pages back, but is there enough space between the rail track and Highway 15 to fit in 2 loops, one for 15W to 101S and another for 101N to 15W? As for widening 15 east of the city, especially through built-up area, perhaps MIT can widen it to undivided 4-lane like Highway 9 north of the city? While there's definitely no space for a divided highway, there seems to be enough for an undivided 4-lane arterial road.

Back to the interchange:
As for the ramp from 15W to 101N, it will need to start early to gain enough height to fly over the track and join 101N. Then it's a symmetric design for the ramp from 101S to 15W. Overall, the on- and off- ramps on 101 will need to be separated from the main highway.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
The problem with CCW/Headingley bypass replacing HWY 1/Portage Ave is it is out of scope of the Perimeter project and Portage is scheduled as "phase 1".
Has Headingley Bypass ever officially been put on hold. Specifically. Or just the outright hold on all major highway projects. Headingley could be ahead of the south Perimeter upgrades, possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I don't mind it. To me, interchanges - clover leaf or system should be reserved for Hwy to Hwy. If the truck traffic comes off because of the Bypasses (i know, they may never be built) it will only handle commuter traffic.

Most of the major US cities that I have been to driving all generally use some form of diamonds for road access to freeway. Toronto, Minneapolis, Denver, Chicago, Miami, San Fransisco, etc, etc
I would also agree with this. That's why Lag is getting the full cloverleaf and Kenaston is getting the 59/101N or CCW treatment.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Speaking of highway-to-highway connections, I was just thinking about what to do with the 101/15 junction. People might have asked this many pages back, but is there enough space between the rail track and Highway 15 to fit in 2 loops, one for 15W to 101S and another for 101N to 15W? As for widening 15 east of the city, especially through built-up area, perhaps MIT can widen it to undivided 4-lane like Highway 9 north of the city? While there's definitely no space for a divided highway, there seems to be enough for an undivided 4-lane arterial road.

Back to the interchange:
As for the ramp from 15W to 101N, it will need to start early to gain enough height to fly over the track and join 101N. Then it's a symmetric design for the ramp from 101S to 15W. Overall, the on- and off- ramps on 101 will need to be separated from the main highway.
Highway 15/dugald will likely be considered a minor roadway at Perimeter, and that interchange could be a folded diamond like Wilkes and Perimeter is currently set up to account for the rail line right there. Free flow perimeter, at-grade intersections in 15.

It's been in Manitoba Infrastructure's long term plan to make a direct highway
(2 or 4 lanes) connection to oakbank, linking it to Gunn rd and Perimeter. This will reduce demand on highway 15, likely well below the need for 4 lanes. That is good because there are many private residences on both side of the roadway which would make twinning realistically unaffordable.

The pros and cons of a direct highway to Oakbank have been debated numerous times on this forum, but it is clear that this is a long term plan, as MI has not taken any remote measure to address this issue. There are much bigger fish to fry in Manitoba

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 10:11 PM

Besides the about of built up areas making twinning HWY 15 in place difficult there is also the issue with the close proximity to the CN mainline which leads to some of the most dangerous rail crossing in the whole country.

Moving HWY 15 a few months north and then splitting the remaining area to north of new 15 and south of new 15 will further reduce the traffic crossing the mainline.

The relocation is also a bigger part of the capital region highway network. The long term vision is for there to be two limited access/high speed routes going east-west through the capital region. One is HWY 1-Bishop-HWY 2/3 the other is HWY 15 (relocated)/CPT/CCW/Headingley bypass. They will also form part of the Winnipeg inner ring.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Absolutely, I agree. Both the Portage and Pembina interchanges become a shitshow at rush hours. Cloverleafs are good for rural highway to highway. High volume "urban" freeway to arterial road is way better as a parclo. It'll have the benefit of removing traffic congestion and slowdowns from weaving on the Perimeter itself.

It will also hopefully prompt the construction of a sidewalk on Portage through the interchange. I see a lot of people walking there, most likely as a result of the lack of transit service to the Downs/Iceplex area.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 11:19 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:

Moving HWY 15 a few months north and then splitting the remaining area to north of new 15 and south of new 15 will further reduce the traffic crossing the mainline.

Metres?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 2:09 PM
What could go wrong?

Moving it a "month" forward gives you extra room.....it's a time-space type of thing.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 2:54 PM

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 3:03 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I still think CoryB’s 2nd paragraph was full of erroneous autocorrects.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 7:39 PM

So I was at the open house last night. A few takeaways:

The re-do of Kenaston and Perimeter makes sense

Removing the cloverleaf at Pembina and the Perimeter seems like a make work projet, it's addressing an issue ( "weaving of cars in and out of exit lanes) that isn't an issue

There needs to be a better option for the St. Norbert Bypass, right now it destroys Camp Amisk,and the bird sanctuary located there. There isn't a current need for it, it's for future traffic out of centreport. GO back to the drawing board.

The traffic numbers on the map were incorrect. according to the map, the section of the S. Perimeter between Waverley and Pembina has higher traffic volumes than between Waverley and Kenaston or Pembina and St. Mary's

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 8:43 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
So I was at the open house last night. A few takeaways:

The re-do of Kenaston and Perimeter makes sense

Removing the cloverleaf at Pembina and the Perimeter seems like a make work projet, it's addressing an issue ( "weaving of cars in and out of exit lanes) that isn't an issue

There needs to be a better option for the St. Norbert Bypass, right now it destroys Camp Amisk,and the bird sanctuary located there. There isn't a current need for it, it's for future traffic out of centreport. GO back to the drawing board.

The traffic numbers on the map were incorrect. according to the map, the section of the S. Perimeter between Waverley and Pembina has higher traffic volumes than between Waverley and Kenaston or Pembina and St. Mary's
Weaving is a huge safety issue, especially with how short the merge/exit lane is there. Definitely a high risk interchange. Overbuilt in a lot of ways and inappropriate for the setting. There simply isn't enough room for a proper clover leaf interchange at pembina.

As for the bypass it's been needed for years. It's not just for the 'potential centreport traffic'. Its main purpose is to take heavy truck traffic out of a neighborhood that 18 wheelers have no business going through unless their delivering there.other through traffic too for that matter. Its better to take people with no interest in stopping off a city street than to have huge traffic volumes clogging up the road network that dont have to be there. Anyways, bypass is near the top of my wish list for the perimeter.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 9:13 PM
What could go wrong?

Pembina isn't a make work project because it needs to be expanded to 3 thru lanes each way.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Pembina isn't a make work project because it needs to be expanded to 3 thru lanes each way.
If you build the St. Norbert bypass does Pembina really need to be expanded?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 9:25 PM

^Perimeter to 6 lanes. Not Pembina.

That being said, Pembina will likely stay the way it is for some time as the perimeter is being designed to handle 6 lanes, not constructed to 6 lanes. So Until the time they want to go 6 lanes, Pembina can remain as is.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 7:21 PM

Looking at the South Perimeter study designs, it looks like the RIRO at Dakota is a no go now. Too close to the ramps for st annes and st marys for proper acceleration distance.

Probably going to be reserved for a flyover with no Perimeter access once that area gets built up.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 8:34 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Looking at the South Perimeter study designs, it looks like the RIRO at Dakota is a no go now. Too close to the ramps for st annes and st marys for proper acceleration distance.

Probably going to be reserved for a flyover with no Perimeter access once that area gets built up.
Which is totally ok. I don't see a point in catering the the several residents who will complain of not getting access. Keeping it for the flyover is a legitimate idea.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 8:44 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Plus, having the flyover instead of RIRO will make the neighbourhood safer too.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 2:29 PM

Was there a RIRO planned for Dakota? I always thought it was reserved for a flyover whenever the land south of 100 is developed. Either way, yes I like it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 3:14 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Was there a RIRO planned for Dakota? I always thought it was reserved for a flyover whenever the land south of 100 is developed. Either way, yes I like it.
I think that the open house boards show nothing at Dakota but I presume flyover since there isnt really space for anything else plus its proximity to ste Anne's makes it unviable for a diamond.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan