HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orleans_man View Post
I think people simply look at the eight lane highway running through the Kanata greenbelt and wonder why does that have lighting and the one that runs through the east end doesn't. Maybe there is a really good reason? Or, maybe not?

As a taxpayer - I would like to see them remove the lighting along the Kanata stretch so we don't have to pay to unnecessarily "light-up" the Kanata greenbelt and maintain the lights. I think that would make everyone happy
During the Highway 417 Expansion from 416 to Eagleson (through the western greenbelt), the NCC demanded that it remain unlit. Naturally (and rightly so) the MTO told them to f$*#-off!

Folks, this is a 400-series highway serving a metro area. It is MTO policy to have that highway lit. Period.

I suspect, once MTO takes over the 174, there will be many corrections to bring that road up to standard. In its current state, the 174 is a dangerous road.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 8:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I can't recall if the lack of lighting is permanent or just a temporary removal due to LRT construction, but east of Blair eastbound the 174 is very dangerous due to a number of factors, and you can barely see the lane markings in the dark especially when it's raining. The lane configurations also have lots of deviations and curves and are not very intuitive, and everything is narrower due to the construction. (Assuming a lot of this will be corrected when the work is all done.)

Plus for some reason the speed limit remains at 100, whereas between Montreal Rd and Jeanne d'Arc (a stretch which also needs lighting) everything is much wider and straight and the maximum remains 80.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 8:54 PM

One thing I noticed a long time ago is that on the light standards installed on the 417 through the western Greenbelt, there are "blinders" installed next to each individual light appearing to focus light onto the roadway and limit leakage into the surrounding natural environment. I don't know exactly how to describe them other than that they remind me of horse blinker/blinders. I also can't recall if they're installed on every light standard through that stretch or just a few.

In any case, I agree with others that the 174 feels very dangerous through the Greenbelt without any lighting. High-beams aren't really an option because of surrounding traffic. The guardrail/barrier is very close to the left lane in many areas and when lane markings are barely visible (especially when it's wet) you feel like you're going to get sandwiched between a vehicle to your right and the barrier to your left. Lighting absolutely needs to be installed and hopefully those "blinders" can fitted onto the lights as a compromise.

Overall, this city needs way more lighting and way brighter lighting. It's kind of a joke how dimly lit many urban areas like downtown/Centretown/Byward etc. are. Especially in a city/country where it gets dark at 4pm half the year. Sorry but you shouldn't need a headlamp to walk your dog through an urban park at 6pm in December.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orleans_man View Post
I think people simply look at the eight lane highway running through the Kanata greenbelt and wonder why does that have lighting and the one that runs through the east end doesn't. Maybe there is a really good reason? Or, maybe not?
I still scratch my head at that 8-10 lane stretch, as if we were trying to catch-up with Toronto and Houston. The bottleneck was always from Bayshore east. Such a waste of money, not to mention the environmental impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Also - if anyone wants some nostalgia, drive the 417 west at night (between 1-5 am) and experience the nice old halogen lights from downtown to Carling. Once it switches to LED you can really tell the difference. I love driving in the halogen (metal halide).
I find the new LEDs depressing. I long for the days of warm halogen lamps. I understand the reasoning for the switch, but wonder if we could modify the Kelvins to get something closer to halogens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I can't recall if the lack of lighting is permanent or just a temporary removal due to LRT construction, but east of Blair eastbound the 174 is very dangerous due to a number of factors, and you can barely see the lane markings in the dark especially when it's raining. The lane configurations also have lots of deviations and curves and are not very intuitive, and everything is narrower due to the construction. (Assuming a lot of this will be corrected when the work is all done.)

Plus for some reason the speed limit remains at 100, whereas between Montreal Rd and Jeanne d'Arc (a stretch which also needs lighting) everything is much wider and straight and the maximum remains 80.
It's always been the case. I was hopeful that Stage 2 would bring lighting to that stretch of the 174, but apparently not. I agree with some of the comments, it can be scary with poor road conditions in the dead of winter and whenever it rains.

Agreed with the limits as well. They don't compute with the road layout. And contraction has been pretty much complete for about a year now, at least from a highway impact perspective.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 6:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

New Highway 416 interchange in Barrhaven will be a 'game-changer': Sutcliffe
There is currently an overpass on Barnsdale Road over Highway 416, but it does not allow for entry or exit from the highway.

Joanne Laucius, Ottawa Citizen
Published Apr 12, 2024 • Last updated 4 minutes ago • 1 minute read

A new $5 million interchange at Highway 416 and Barnsdale Road will save time for Barrhaven commuters, the province’s transportation minister says.

“As Ontario’s population grows, it’s critical we ensure our province’s transportation network keeps pace,” said Prabmeet Sarkaria, who was in Ottawa on Friday.

“The new interchange at Highway 416 and Barnsdale Road will help local residents and other drivers get where they need to go faster and more conveniently.”

There is currently an overpass that carries traffic travelling east and west on Barnsdale Road over Highway 416, but it does not allow for entry or exit from Highway 416. The interchange would allow traffic to move in all directions.

Mayor Mark Sutcliffe called the interchange a “game-changer.” The province is to work with the City of Ottawa to plan and design the interchange, which will also serve Manotick and Richmond.

“Advancing the design and construction of a new interchange at Highway 416 and Barnsdale Road will improve infrastructure and connectivity within our communities,” Sutcliffe said.

The Highway 416 and Barnsdale Road interchange is part of the “new deal” between the Ontario government and Ottawa, which includes up to $181 million for critical transportation projects, including rehabilitation and maintenance of Ottawa Road 174 in the east end and funding for the Kanata North Transitway. The costs of maintaining and improving Highway 174 have cost the city millions since they were downloaded from the province to the city in 1997.

Last year, an environmental assessment of the Barnsdale exchange and a preliminary design for the Barnsdale interchange was completed.

The assessment noted that four provincially endangered or threatened species at risk including bobolink, eastern meadowlark, eastern wood-pewee and bat species, had the potential to be affected by the proposed work.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...nger-sutcliffe

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 6:30 PM

"Game changer"? Wow, that's the overstatement of the year. At best, it will be slightly more convenient for local residents. That's about it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation