HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Not sure if this is anything new, but front page news anyway. Will be interesting to see if PP will end up needing to give up some of the lofty goals originally intended, especially since the market (demand, interest rates) have created a vastly different reality (worse for RE) than when Continuum backed out.

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...r-project.html
To my mind, this particular development is emblematic of our city government's general dysfunction, in line with the rest of our overwhelmed and hobbled governing institutions. If I personally had any power I would be pushing to dismantle PP and, in this case, just sell the land off immediately to individual developers (unless there is some sort of legal obstacle that I'm unaware of).

We're in the middle of a longterm housing crisis with no end in sight. I suspect that if this property were to be divvied up into smaller chunks and sold off we would at least be more likely to get some diverse and distinct architecture. And get the housing those buildings could provide more quickly. "Market rate" developments would still be subject to IZ and one or more blocks could be set aside for developers who specialize in affordable housing. But the charade continues...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 3:52 AM

An FYI on some of the sitework that's caused demolition to take so long. Saw this on reddit a few days ago.

Some snips, complete info on their website.

https://www.oregon.gov/deq/Programs/Pages/usps.aspx

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 7:32 PM
A before E

Definitely a huge undertaking demolishing this building that most of us were completely unaware of.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 4:09 PM

I was in the area on Sunday ... there is some significant external demo going on now on the northwest side of the building. Very satisfying to see.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Looking forward: City leaders share plans for 14-acre NW Portland post office space

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — For years, 14 acres in northwest Portland sat empty with no clear future for the abandoned buildings.

The city bought the former post office distribution center in 2016 for $88 million and Thursday, Portland leaders announced a vision for its future.

Lisa Abuaf, the director of development and investment with the city’s development agency Prosper Portland, says planning on what to do with the site has been going on for nearly 15 years. It was once sought after for a baseball stadium, but now, a mixed-use development and space for a potential high-rise anchor development is cemented in the site’s master plan.

Seven parcels of land for development will be up for bidding on the site that used to house the postal service distribution center. Pedestrian greenways are being considered extensions of Kearney and Irving streets. Johnson street would be extended, leading to Union Station, serving as the “main street” of the new neighborhood that will connect the Pearl District and Old Town.

“I would think about it as one of those beloved corridors that we all go to because it’s where our retailers are, we can go and gather as a community. That’s what that street for this new community.” Abauf said.
...continues at KOIN (with video)

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 9:58 PM
Registered Ugly

But who is the developer they're having discussions with and why isn't that public?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 11:00 PM

It's not private. There is a post regarding this on January 17

Here is a link to the Oregonian article:
https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...r-project.html

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 11:18 PM
Registered Ugly

Oh thanks, appreciate that.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 8:20 AM

Taken 2/18/2023

Demo update from this morning.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 3:54 AM

If you are demo fanboy, you should check it out soon. Really tearing up the building now.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 4:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossalorder View Post
If you are demo fanboy, you should check it out soon. Really tearing up the building now.
It’s about time

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 5:05 PM

My building overlooks the demo, and I watch during my lunch breaks. It is moving quickly, and it is surprising how little noise we are getting during the workday as they eat through the building.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socinus View Post
My building overlooks the demo, and I watch during my lunch breaks. It is moving quickly, and it is surprising how little noise we are getting during the workday as they eat through the building.
Would love to see some progress pics if you're able to.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 11:43 PM

I couldn't get closer from this angle as there were fences up everywhere, but this is from earlier today.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 10:04 PM

Demo update:

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 11:24 PM
BANNED

Wow demo is pretty much almost done. I don’t know why they said end of the year..

It already looks so much better just by being so open.. I cannot imagine when it’s built out how it’ll look even better

How developers around the country aren’t just salivating over this site in a major cities downtown is beyond me

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 7:12 PM

Ya know... it will never happen, but... would be a cool location for a new baseball stadium IMHO.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
Ya know... it will never happen, but... would be a cool location for a new baseball stadium IMHO.
Totally agree. Rail infrastructure already in place. Highways close by. Enough room to add some vertical Hotel/condo elements as well. I like that idea.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Portland’s former central post office mostly rubble, clearing way for potential redevelopment

Just a few craggy corners remain of the former U.S. Postal Service processing and distribution center in downtown Portland, near the west end of the Broadway Bridge.

Prosper Portland, the city economic development agency, bought the 13.4-acre site for $88 million in 2016, envisioning it as part of a 32-acre redevelopment abutting the Pearl District.

A developer expected to lead the Broadway Corridor project bowed out in 2021, but the city is in negotiations with a new team that includes Related, a California development firm, and Melvin Mark Cos. of Portland...
Read more at Oregonlive here...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 5:25 PM

Does anyone know the plans and timeframe for the other post office building on that site?
It is not currently being demo'ed and they recently moved the retail post office there. There is no plan for that building identified on their website that I can find, but it seems like it must go to make that bigger site plan work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland