HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 2:47 PM

Random but does anyone have any recommendations for an architectural walking tour?

I was watching a YouTube video of a travel guy (Peter Santenello - good stuff) and finally watched his Philly ep (taken in early pandemic). It just confirmed what a remarkable city we have from that perspective, and after 17 years of living here I should probably do a formal tour to learn more.

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
The reasoning for the merge is so it can free up police resources and streamline a lot of functions.

I think CC is good with one District, I believe the new District encompasses Girard to Washington Ave, thats a solid police district. Now for government related activities it makes sense for this big area to be broken up into two.

A user on reddit said that this is beneficial because at a district a certain amount of officer are required to be at the station, so with this merger it allows them to have more officers on the streets, and an easier chain of command.

This should Help CC out a lot with enforcement.
Wait. Is this a real proposal? When I lived in Northern Liberties I know the neighborhood committee would get super frustrated about certain QOL issues and it was exacerbated by the fact that NoLibs is split between the 6th and 26th.

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 4:34 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Wait. Is this a real proposal? When I lived in Northern Liberties I know the neighborhood committee would get super frustrated about certain QOL issues and it was exacerbated by the fact that NoLibs is split between the 6th and 26th.
It happened Wednesday night, it's already done.

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-police...reas/14748561/

This merger has freed up 200 officers.

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
Random but does anyone have any recommendations for an architectural walking tour?

I was watching a YouTube video of a travel guy (Peter Santenello - good stuff) and finally watched his Philly ep (taken in early pandemic). It just confirmed what a remarkable city we have from that perspective, and after 17 years of living here I should probably do a formal tour to learn more.
I know there's a new one starting up that begins in Love Park, but I don't know the details.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 4:02 PM

I haven't been on one, but the Preservation Alliance also offers walking tours:

https://preservationalliance.com/walking-tours/

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airydite View Post
I haven't been on one, but the Preservation Alliance also offers walking tours:

https://preservationalliance.com/walking-tours/
oh nice, thanks!

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
The reasoning for the merge is so it can free up police resources and streamline a lot of functions.

I think CC is good with one District, I believe the new District encompasses Girard to Washington Ave, thats a solid police district. Now for government related activities it makes sense for this big area to be broken up into two.

A user on reddit said that this is beneficial because at a district a certain amount of officer are required to be at the station, so with this merger it allows them to have more officers on the streets, and an easier chain of command.

This should Help CC out a lot with enforcement.

Ugh. My error. I thought you were referring to councilmanic districts, I didn't realize you meant police districts.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 10:14 PM

Some reflections on a "random" ten mile journey straight down Broad Street:

- Admittedly, I don't know far North Broad neighborhoods well. But I was reminded of how strong the bones are in the housing stock in some of the less discussed areas. There is so much to this city.

- Boner 4ever (the Beury) sure looks stalled, as has been reported. The commercial strips around that area look completely spent. That intersection of Broad and Germantown could and should be an anchor for the surrounding areas (as I'm sure it once was).

- The North Station proposal would have been such a game changer. This is one of the most disappointing stalls.

- Temple band is awesome.

- Temple needs to hurry up and get those projects on Broad moving. Open space on Broad Street is embarrassing.

- I still can't fully absorb the transformation around Broad and Ridge. Hopefully the Divine Lorraine is to Broad and Ridge as the Beury will be to Broad and Germantown. Some day.

- I don't know, maybe undersized for the location, but I really like Stable Lofts.

- Please please please railpark viaduct/trench/tunnel connecting the rivers

- South Broad canyon with many spectators - yes!

- Broad and Washington looking good! Game changer.

- I feel tired.

- No height along Broad in South Philly, and I'm okay with that.

- Cross Pollock Street, and it feels like I just left the city. What happened?

- What's the latest with the phony proposals for the stadium farm? Is it a $1 billion project? Heck, $10 billion? Let's draw up $100 billion! But for now, we'll start by restriping the parking lots to get things moving.

- Navy Yard shaping up nicely. Each project adding to the density, and it all has a good feel.

Last edited by 700 Level; Yesterday at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:48 PM

This makes me so happy.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20240507.html

“There’s nowhere for us to even be,” said Gary Kidd, 46, who’s from Sellersville but has been in Kensington on and off for the past couple of years. “There’s nowhere for us to sit down.”

“People are going further from [Kensington] Ave: indoors, West Philly, Tioga, the counties,” said Tori McDowell, a staffer at Savage Sisters who is in recovery.

Just a few comments, as we're all aware.
1. Notice Mr Kidd is from Sellersville. IMO, Mr Kidd can go back to Sellersville.
2. I took my mom to lunch last week at Terrain in Glen Mills and I kid you not there were a handful of junkies hanging out at the intersections of Rt1 and 322 in Concord Township. Then I saw another one at the next light which is the entrance to Terrain. I don't know why, but it made me so happy. Never in my entire life have I seen anything like it in that part of the burbs. It's not Philadelphia's job to shoulder the burden of drug addicts from the entire region.

Anyway. Happy Tuesday!

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:22 PM

Quote:
This makes me so happy.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20240507.html

“There’s nowhere for us to even be,” said Gary Kidd, 46, who’s from Sellersville but has been in Kensington on and off for the past couple of years. “There’s nowhere for us to sit down.”

“People are going further from [Kensington] Ave: indoors, West Philly, Tioga, the counties,” said Tori McDowell, a staffer at Savage Sisters who is in recovery.

Just a few comments, as we're all aware.
1. Notice Mr Kidd is from Sellersville. IMO, Mr Kidd can go back to Sellersville.
2. I took my mom to lunch last week at Terrain in Glen Mills and I kid you not there were a handful of junkies hanging out at the intersections of Rt1 and 322 in Concord Township. Then I saw another one at the next light which is the entrance to Terrain. I don't know why, but it made me so happy. Never in my entire life have I seen anything like it in that part of the burbs. It's not Philadelphia's job to shoulder the burden of drug addicts from the entire region.

Anyway. Happy Tuesday!
amen to that last sentence.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
amen to that last sentence.
I assume you meant "It's not Philadelphia's job to shoulder the burden of drug addicts from the entire region." and not "Happy Tuesday". I agree as well and you can add other social challenges that the City shoulders to that list as well.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:45 PM

Quote:
It's not Philadelphia's job to shoulder the burden of drug addicts from the entire region.
This, times 1,000%.

Quite frankly, Philadelphia has been shouldering the burden of not only those who are drug addicted, but those who are homeless, or in the dire straits of poverty, from not only across the Philly area, but from other places in the Northeast Corridor, because of the high concentration of services and dirt cheap housing in neighborhoods like North Philly. It's the same story in places like Camden or Norristown. The combination of cheap housing and non-profit services reinforces a cycle of heavily concentrated despair.

I'm not a fan of political stunts, and I absolutely believe in providing help to people who are willing to receive help. But it's time to start forcing wealthy suburbs to pony up.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
I'm not a fan of political stunts, and I absolutely believe in providing help to people who are willing to receive help. But it's time to start forcing wealthy suburbs to pony up.
Also, I believe in some level of "harm reduction" (for example, I think it's a mistake for the city to not fund needle exchange...it's going to lead to higher HIV and STI rates for the entire city, not just drug addicts). But in other respects, there needs to be some friction for most folks; many won't get help otherwise. Jim Harrity, who is the new council rep for parts of Kensington and a recovering addict, talks about this a lot. Many addicts would never get help if the system did not create any friction at all for them. I happen to believe him.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:35 PM
Philly Pholly

"Checking on the Construction Hotbed North of the Conrail Tracks
If you thought our Port Richmond foray was finished with the Pump House, you’re in for a treat! It was almost exactly one year ago that we visited some development sites in the vicinity that were at various stages of progress. Today, we head back the same spot to check out how things look now compared to last year. Let’s break out the map as we head to the intersection of Tulip St. & E. Somerset St., just steps north of the Conrail tracks which cut through the area."

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...onrail-tracks/

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Also, I believe in some level of "harm reduction" (for example, I think it's a mistake for the city to not fund needle exchange...it's going to lead to higher HIV and STI rates for the entire city, not just drug addicts).
Philly is already the #1 city for STIs in the country.

https://www.innerbody.com/std-testing/std-statistics

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
This, times 1,000%.

Quite frankly, Philadelphia has been shouldering the burden of not only those who are drug addicted, but those who are homeless, or in the dire straits of poverty, from not only across the Philly area, but from other places in the Northeast Corridor, because of the high concentration of services and dirt cheap housing in neighborhoods like North Philly. It's the same story in places like Camden or Norristown. The combination of cheap housing and non-profit services reinforces a cycle of heavily concentrated despair.

The Supreme Court allowing a ban on sleeping in public spaces would be a huge first step. That would allow cities to ban encampments and make homelessness illegal throughout most the city. The benefit is the police could pick up homeless people scattered across the city and bring them to concentrated zones where they get help and services. IT’d bring some order to the chaos. It’d also allow workers to collect data on size of issue and where they are from to make a case that cities are shouldering costs from suburbs and need more state allocations.

Once that is done, the real fight has to start which is a hard pill for many to swallow, and that is poverty-stricken neighborhoods have to be disrupted to break the cycle of poverty. And there’s no easy way for many to hear that bc it means major redevelopment and disbanding communities with failed dynamics to try to make a fairer world for future residents of the city.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 Level View Post
Some reflections on a "random" ten mile journey straight down Broad Street:

- Admittedly, I don't know far North Broad neighborhoods well. But I was reminded of how strong the bones are in the housing stock in some of the less discussed areas. There is so much to this city.

- Boner 4ever (the Beury) sure looks stalled, as has been reported. The commercial strips around that area look completely spent. That intersection of Broad and Germantown could and should be an anchor for the surrounding areas (as I'm sure it once was).

- The North Station proposal would have been such a game changer. This is one of the most disappointing stalls.

- Temple band is awesome.

- Temple needs to hurry up and get those projects on Broad moving. Open space on Broad Street is embarrassing.

- I still can't fully absorb the transformation around Broad and Ridge. Hopefully the Divine Lorraine is to Broad and Ridge as the Beury will be to Broad and Germantown. Some day.

- I don't know, maybe undersized for the location, but I really like Stable Lofts.

- Please please please railpark viaduct/trench/tunnel connecting the rivers

- South Broad canyon with many spectators - yes!

- Broad and Washington looking good! Game changer.

- I feel tired.

- No height along Broad in South Philly, and I'm okay with that.

- Cross Pollock Street, and it feels like I just left the city. What happened?

- What's the latest with the phony proposals for the stadium farm? Is it a $1 billion project? Heck, $10 billion? Let's draw up $100 billion! But for now, we'll start by restriping the parking lots to get things moving.

- Navy Yard shaping up nicely. Each project adding to the density, and it all has a good feel.
I was surprised at how large the crowds were near just south of Girard AND from Center City all the way down to Washington. I've been running for 12 years now and you can really see how the population has filled in around the edges of Greater Center City.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Once that is done, the real fight has to start which is a hard pill for many to swallow, and that is poverty-stricken neighborhoods have to be disrupted to break the cycle of poverty. And there’s no easy way for many to hear that bc it means major redevelopment and disbanding communities with failed dynamics to try to make a fairer world for future residents of the city.
Well the benefit of gentrification in our cities is that it is reducing the concentration of poverty. I know most people don't look at it that way, but I do. You can't imagine what you can't see and when you grew up in an environment where nearly everyone is poor and either not educated formally or in a trade, then you don't even realize what you're missing out on. Or, if you do, you don't have access to the networks that would enable you to improve your circumstances.

This is why I ABHOR the Inquirer's take on Philly's improving statistics on income and poverty. Because as with all things Inqy, it assumes that the data is a result of new people with higher incomes pushing existing residents out, when in certain cases it's clearly not the case. Incomes didn't increase by 100% in ten years in Fairhill because gentrifiers pushed out existing residents. My assumption is its entirely because the circumstances of the typical person in the neighborhood improved. Further, even if there was some modicum of "gentrification", what's so bad about it if the outcomes are that good.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development