HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 9:27 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Their target day for opening previously was 2023 so still plenty of time.
True. But Palm Springs, Atlanta and Dallas all have (had) target openings of 2023.

I wouldn't be surprised if COVID made them rethink their expansion plans (possibly delay it slightly). It was pretty bullish prior to COVID.

If this project is not already financed, it might be challenging finding it since it is a hotel and capital for hotels is pretty difficult to find right now (due to uncertainty in the industry and how long it will take to fully recover). Additionally, this is a luxury product - making it even harder...

To meet a 2023 opening, they would have to start construction next year.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 11:32 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Then maybe you can answer a question for me. Why does the Tower of the Americas look so much larger in the night pic than the day pic? Is it just a matter of different lenses?

Also, the first night pic has smokestacks behind the Marriott Rivercenter, and yours does not. Where did they come from?

Also also, would you mind telling me where you were when you took the photo?
I'm reversing the order of the photos to answer this question. It's geometry and lenses.

The second photo (shown first here) is taken from about one mile away (I believe from the Villa Tranchese Apartments) from an elevation of maybe 100 feet. Here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vi...!4d-98.4988676

So you're looking up at the buildings of downtown. The Tower of the Americas is about twice as far away as the buildings in the foreground (BofA, Frost, etc.), so the closer buildings appear bigger because of perspective.

https://www.imagesfromtexas.com/imag...noon-103-2.jpg

The other photo is taken from about 8 miles away from one of the streets in this neighborhood: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...!4d-98.4936282

So in this photo the buildings in the foreground are only about 5 or 6% closer to the camera than the Tower. So all the downtown buildings including the Tower are essentially the same distance from the camera. So there's no noticeable difference in perspective. You're not looking up at any of the buildings, you're looking straight at all of them from a distance, and from a slightly higher elevation, so you can see how much taller the Tower actually is because all the buildings are "on a level playing field."

https://www.beecreekphoto.com/images...o-D85_2913.jpg

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post

The other photo is taken from about 8 miles away from one of the streets in this neighborhood:
So in this photo the buildings in the foreground are only about 5 or 6% closer to the camera than the Tower. So all the downtown buildings including the Tower are essentially the same distance from the camera. So there's no noticeable difference in perspective. You're not looking up at any of the buildings, you're looking straight at all of them from a distance, and from a slightly higher elevation, so you can see how much taller the Tower actually is because all the buildings are "on a level playing field."
I appreciate this explanation. All I knew was that the skyline looked very unnatural, unlike any view I'd seen personally, and it makes sense that this view could not be seen with the naked eye. Thanks

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:19 AM
The Space Pope

Talking

Quote:
I'm reversing the order of the photos to answer this question. It's geometry and lenses.

The second photo (shown first here) is taken from about one mile away (I believe from the Villa Tranchese Apartments) from an elevation of maybe 100 feet. Here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vi...!4d-98.4988676

So you're looking up at the buildings of downtown. The Tower of the Americas is about twice as far away as the buildings in the foreground (BofA, Frost, etc.), so the closer buildings appear bigger because of perspective.

https://www.imagesfromtexas.com/imag...noon-103-2.jpg

The other photo is taken from about 8 miles away from one of the streets in this neighborhood: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...!4d-98.4936282

https://www.beecreekphoto.com/images...o-D85_2913.jpg
Actually the neighborhood in the 2nd link you posted is too far away and not the right angle. Using Google Earth's map I got the exact placement for all of the buildings and zoomed in at the right height (pure luck I guess) and the identical church campanile appeared in the foreground. I was able to identify it as Jefferson United Methodist Church and zooming back far enough my guess is that it was taken from one of the midrise office buildings along Loop 410 between Summit Parkway and Babcock Rd.

This detective work is a lot of fun by the way!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 12:35 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon View Post
Actually the neighborhood in the 2nd link you posted is too far away and not the right angle. Using Google Earth's map I got the exact placement for all of the buildings and zoomed in at the right height (pure luck I guess) and the identical church campanile appeared in the foreground. I was able to identify it as Jefferson United Methodist Church and zooming back far enough my guess is that it was taken from one of the midrise office buildings along Loop 410 between Summit Parkway and Babcock Rd.

This detective work is a lot of fun by the way!
Please post the link to the location. Thanks!

It could be one of these ridiculously expensive houses on Clubhill Drive.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4823.../data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited by JACKinBeantown; Sep 5, 2020 at 12:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 12:54 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
I appreciate this explanation. All I knew was that the skyline looked very unnatural, unlike any view I'd seen personally, and it makes sense that this view could not be seen with the naked eye. Thanks
My pleasure. Glad I could help.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 7:16 PM
Meh

Quote:
Please post the link to the location. Thanks!

It could be one of these ridiculously expensive houses on Clubhill Drive.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4823.../data=!3m1!1e3
I have a question, how were you able to get the Google map to show the view so that it showed the horizon? I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 8:43 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I have a question, how were you able to get the Google map to show the view so that it showed the horizon? I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet.
Hey Kevin. I'm on a Mac. I get to the right point on the map in 3D view, go up in elevation (300 feet or so), hold down the Command key (apple key) and move the mouse to the correct direction including up and down. If you are up in the air in 3D view you should be able to angle it flat enough to see the horizon. Hope that helps.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 8:45 PM
JACKinBeantown

Seems like the jail has a nice view too. Anybody wanna go find out?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4279.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 7:23 PM
Meh

Quote:
Hey Kevin. I'm on a Mac. I get to the right point on the map in 3D view, go up in elevation (300 feet or so), hold down the Command key (apple key) and move the mouse to the correct direction including up and down. If you are up in the air in 3D view you should be able to angle it flat enough to see the horizon. Hope that helps.
Thanks! Now I can post views here without needing to do screenshots. Of course, I'll still have to when I'm doing it for my model.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 3:07 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Thanks! Now I can post views here without needing to do screenshots. Of course, I'll still have to when I'm doing it for my model.
Looking forward to the next model post, Kevin. I still think you should start a thread for it.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 2:32 AM

Update about Dream Hotel and a few other hotels around SA

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sa-inc/...e-16103704.php

Key quotes regarding Dream Hotel:

"Farther into the future, a New York development corporation called Dream Hotel Group remains committed to building a 25-story hotel on East Martin Street."

"Originally, the opening was scheduled for 2023. But the developer will likely break ground late next year, with completion taking another 24 to 36 months, said Christian Glauser Benz, a vice president at Dream Hotel Group."

"The San Antonio market is incredibly attractive to us,” said Glauser Benz. Glauser Benz said investors have committed to the project and that his company is talking to several lenders."

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 3:26 PM

Great news to hear!!!!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 4:15 PM

That's great! Hoping it's a nice iconic design that realllly pops on the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI0120 View Post
Update about Dream Hotel and a few other hotels around SA

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sa-inc/...e-16103704.php

Key quotes regarding Dream Hotel:

"Farther into the future, a New York development corporation called Dream Hotel Group remains committed to building a 25-story hotel on East Martin Street."

"Originally, the opening was scheduled for 2023. But the developer will likely break ground late next year, with completion taking another 24 to 36 months, said Christian Glauser Benz, a vice president at Dream Hotel Group."

"The San Antonio market is incredibly attractive to us,” said Glauser Benz. Glauser Benz said investors have committed to the project and that his company is talking to several lenders."
This could instantly become the coolest hotel in SA. I just hope they don't keep kicking the can down the road. That's a bit worrisome. Financing for hotel towers is going to be very challenging to for the next several years.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 8:09 PM

400 Million RiverPlace Development

The SA Heron just came out with an article about the Dream Hotel along with the rest of the development, called the RiverPlace Development. It is a 400 million dollar project. Can someone please post? www.saheron.com
Thanks!!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 8:31 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
The SA Heron just came out with an article about the Dream Hotel along with the rest of the development, called the RiverPlace Development. It is a 400 million dollar project. Can someone please post? www.saheron.com
Thanks!!
I think that article was merely about the group signing an incentive agreement with the city and not about an impending ground breaking. The Dream Hotel Group representative recently stated that they still haven't secured construction financing. And, the article had a lot of "if's" in it.

This would be a tremendous development if realized. However, even they spoke of possible changes to the plan based on how things fall into place as we move further away from the pandemic.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I think that article was merely about the group signing an incentive agreement with the city and not about an impending ground breaking. The Dream Hotel Group representative recently stated that they still haven't secured construction financing. And, the article had a lot of "if's" in it.

This would be a tremendous development if realized. However, even they spoke of possible changes to the plan based on how things fall into place as we move further away from the pandemic.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!
Well thank you, but if you read my post I never mentioned anything about an "impending groundbreaking". You did! Just thought it was exciting Tuesday news. That's all!

Does sure sound like they are interested though.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Well thank you, but if you read my post I never mentioned anything about an "impending groundbreaking". You did! Just thought it was exciting Tuesday news. That's all!

Does sure sound like they are interested though.
^^^Chill, dude. Don't get your panties in a wad. I didn't read an attack on you in his post.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Apr 21, 2021 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 6:52 PM

The news about this ambitious project has hit the San Antonio Express News headlines, and the San Antonio Business Journal today! Everyone keep your fingers crossed on this mammoth, beautiful project!!!
Should this project be called Riverplace or Dream Hotel?
Just asking

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio