HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 8:17 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Why are we talking about Denver's tower proposal in here? There's a Denver thread where that can be talked about.

You're right, I did miss that. I still think there's better locations downtown, but hey, maybe I could be proven wrong.

But anyway, just like sensible alcohol laws in Utah, it's a pipe dream proposal anyway. ;-)

What do you have against plasma clinics...? South Salt Lake already has one anyway.

Is it just because evil homeless people go there?
I don’t have anything against plasma clinics. As I said there is another one right over on North Temple. I don’t think we need 2 plasma clinics so close together. I didn’t suggest closing it. I suggested moving it to the east end of town or to south Salt Lake... why that one? Well the one on North Temple is much newer and nicer. Also, I think it would be better to not have it right next to pioneer park. I don’t think homeless people are evil but I don’t want them all congregated in one area. Besides that there is an effort to clean up the area. The problem with the area is that so many things are so close together... keeping the one on North Temple would spread it out a bit.

The road home is also going to be closing so there will be less of a deman for the 400s clinic. It would be better to put it in walking distance of one of the new shelters.... but not right next to it, or it will just create the same problem.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
That actually works. I have no problem with that. Frisco already has the massing to support it.

Am I jealous? Not with the new Denver proposal. Not at all. To me it sticks out, a bit too much. Sorry to have brought it up.

Jealous that other cities have larger towers while SLC has mini highrises?

Yeah...Ok, I'll admit to that.
From what I've gathered, the new supertall has been proposed on the empty lot adjacent to the Dominion Plaza building? Very central and from the looks of it, a great location for very tall structures. I went ahead and captured different angles of Denver's skyline and downtown using drone videos and in my opinion, it certainly has the massing to support a supertall. If anything, I'd argue that skyline desperately needs one as much as SLC needs a new tallest.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 11:53 AM

You're point was very valid Ironweed, except for what IMO would be a design exception in Denver's case. I mean, if we were talking about say Oklahoma City's latest addition, then I would agree with you 200 percent. However, I along with many of those who responded agree that in Denver's case this new tallest is not so tall that it seems out of proportion with the rest of its skyline. I agree with Jiffy and others who pointed out that there are enough established tall towers surrounding, that this is no more than an attractive pyramid effect. I think that for Salt Lake City three or four in the 500 to 600 foot range would be attractive at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
It came across my news feed yesterday incidentally. My point was that all that is too tall is not necessarily a good thing. Proportion is important. Denver is a great town, SLC has potential. It's been brought up before that a singularly large tower going up in SLC would be a bad idea, and it appears that Denver may go this route. I just wanted to illustrate using this example. Maybe I'm a paid rabble rouser? No need to get upset get upset Jub or grasscom.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:59 PM
They all float down here

I would take the lopsidedness of OKC's skyline over the ceiling effect that dominates SLC's skyline. It may look awkward right now but I wouldn't be surprised if they get a tower taller than their current second tallest (which was the city's tallest since the 70s) before Salt Lake ever gets a tower that breaks the 500 foot mark.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I would take the lopsidedness of OKC's skyline over the ceiling effect that dominates SLC's skyline. It may look awkward right now but I wouldn't be surprised if they get a tower taller than their current second tallest (which was the city's tallest since the 70s) before Salt Lake ever gets a tower that breaks the 500 foot mark.
I had never been to Oklahoma City so had to look at the images. That is damn lopsided! Lol. But, what a gorgeous building (50 story, Devon Energy Center).

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 11:06 PM

^^^^^

That reminds me of my home town Albany NY. I believe it’s a state government building that really makes that city skyline even more lopsided. We have it great here in Salt Lake. If you want to see a town with very little Developement in the last 30-40 years visit Albany NY. That city is truly stale. Compare the skyline from 1985-now and you will be hard pressed to notice a difference.

Slow and steady here in SLC but quickly headed in the right direction

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain man View Post
I honestly think it’s because I’m tired, but would you mind clarifying what you said? I’m having a difficult time following
The point is that the effect that a tall building has on the skyline is about the least important thing that it does for a city. Imagine what a 1000 foot building on the 400 S block of Main would do for the surrounding area. Imagine what it might do for Trax ridership. Yeah our skyline would be lopsided but you can't even see the skyline from inside DT. Our city would be better on the inside at the price of looking a little asymmetrical on the outside. I'd take that.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 12:49 AM

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 8:39 PM

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 9:22 PM

Thanks Isaac. Good to see it's chugging along.

Here are some photos of the Giv group's Project Open,

http://cityhomecollective.com/commun...e-open-project

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 9:44 PM

Thanks for the updates and all the effort. I’m crossing my fingers that they add some residential to the project.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 9:57 PM

Thanks Isaac. Great to hear things are still alive. The comment about Priskos makes me think the location is the Arrow Press Square site. I estimate that site to be too narrow for a wall type hotel like the Grand American or the Denver Hyatt. If they really need 750 to 1000 rooms, maybe 30 stories is not tall enough? Would love to see that residential piece added too. A new tallest would be so cool.

Keep us posted on these meetings in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:15 PM

A 30 story tall CCH would be close to 400' due to the meeting spaces, lobby, and restaurant areas.

While this wouldn't be a new tallest, it would further expand and increase the skyline.

Additionally, in the past there was talk about including 400 to 600 residential units. These (if built) would be located in a separate tower but with shared parking. Based on the 250' height for the 300 unit 151 residential building, the 400 - 600 units (if built) could lead to a possible new tallest. This all depends on design of course.

I am hopeful that they will include the residential component. It can reduce the overall ROI on the project especially with shared resources.

Hopefully we will hear more details in the near future.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:27 PM

By my count, this makes 5 potential towers in the pipeline.

151 Apartments
CCH
Regent Hotel
Held Property
Tower 8

I ranked them based on likelihood of actually happening? Do you agree?

How would we order these in terms of construction timeline? Seems like 151 and Regent should be the first of these to break ground (hopefully this year).

Would be amazing to get all 5 of these in the next 2-5 years.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
By my count, this makes 5 potential towers in the pipeline.

151 Apartments
CCH
Regent Hotel
Held Property
Tower 8

I ranked them based on likelihood of actually happening? Do you agree?

How would we order these in terms of construction timeline? Seems like 151 and Regent should be the first of these to break ground (hopefully this year).

Would be amazing to get all 5 of these in the next 2-5 years.
Regent Hotel
151 Apartments
370 Millenium (Held)

Shorter but also having an impact:

Block 67 Phase 1 - 11 Story Hotel, 11 Story Residential
Patrinely Phase 1 - 10 Story Commercial

These should all start construction this year.

CCH if it stays on current schedule would start construction early next year. Also possible residential building as part of CCH project.

After these there are the following that would be starting late 2019 to 2021 based on current timelines:

Block 67 Phase 2
Patrinely Phase 2
Tower 8

Of course, this doesn't include any project that isn't known publicly known (Carl's Jr., 251 State, etc.).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 11:22 PM
SLC Lifer

Scuttlebutt. Do with it what you will:

- I have heard that Regent has stalled out. I think it will be tough to get anybody to invest in a hotel tower in SLC until the CCH gets fleshed out. Too high potential for a wild swing in the hospitality market until that settles, hence all the mid size hotel stuff in SLC right now. Banks have become shy on hospitality recently world wide and it would be very risky to lend on a tower knowing that CCH could drop almost concurrently and with healthy subsidies. This is also why the Holdings have fought tooth and nail against CCH.

- "Ink is dry" on the Crawford group's (Sage Hospitality) Gateway boutique hotel at the Union Pacific Depot. Nameplate is unknown but it is described as "4.5 Stars" and will, as speculated here, involve two ten story brick towers and about 110 keys. One contingency remains: ongoing TIF negotiations with the taxing entities. I think that's doable. If you haven't seen what these guys do, click that link. They only do really cool stuff. They are bringing "Snooze", the stellar breakfast concept from Denver Union Station along with them.

- Live Nation closed on the acquisition of United Concerts. Not clear if the the branding of The Depot will change to House of Blues (Live Nation owns that too) but I'm told the concert venue will stay at UP Depot. Ironic given HOB was the original nameplate for the Depot .

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:12 AM

If it is Arrow Press/old DV8 is it expected that it will include some of the structures on 100 South and West Temple? That would be a damn shame for any of those buildings to go away. Is there an functional reason that the Rocky Mountain Power Plaza could not be developed if RWP were willing? Meaning that plaza doesn't have anything below it such as critical power distribution components? Also that old Power and Light building behind it isn't a substation, is it?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post

- I have heard that Regent has stalled out. I think it will be tough to get anybody to invest in a hotel tower in SLC until the CCH gets fleshed out. Too high potential for a wild swing in the hospitality market until that settles, hence all the mid size hotel stuff in SLC right now. Banks have become shy on hospitality recently world wide and it would be very risky to lend on a tower knowing that CCH could drop almost concurrently and with healthy subsidies. This is also why the Holdings have fought tooth and nail against CCH.

- "Ink is dry" on the Crawford group's (Sage Hospitality) Gateway boutique hotel at the Union Pacific Depot. Nameplate is unknown but it is described as "4.5 Stars" and will, as speculated here, involve two ten story brick towers and about 110 keys. One contingency remains: ongoing TIF negotiations with the taxing entities. I think that's doable. If you haven't seen what these guys do, click that link. They only do really cool stuff. They are bringing "Snooze", the stellar breakfast concept from Denver Union Station along with them.

- Live Nation closed on the acquisition of United Concerts. Not clear if the the branding of The Depot will change to House of Blues (Live Nation owns that too) but I'm told the concert venue will stay at UP Depot. Ironic given HOB was the original nameplate for the Depot .
Too bad no images pop up on that link.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Too bad no images pop up on that link.
Uhhh... yeah images are at that link. Your browser/phone/comp sux?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post

If it looks anything like The Crawford they did in Union Station, I would be ecstatic. Link to the gallery here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West