HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:07 PM
self-important urbanista

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:23 PM

Garcia sounds really unhinged, how will he be capable of making important and informed decisions on crucial municipal economical matters?

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 5:30 PM
Skyriser

How does Garcia sound unhinged? Puente Arizona is a decently sized org and being unhinged does not sound like a qualifier for running that.

I could see him being ineffective if he ran a partisan bully pulpit without direct political experience, but it remains to be seen how well he wants to work with others.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 6:13 PM

lol Puente has largely aligned itself as part of the greater radical MEChA separation movement. It's a larger ecosystem of groups who believe in modern CA, AZ, NM were "stolen" lands and prefers to be re-aligned with modern day Mexico. Not to mention the lawsuits they've filed has cost the county taxpayers millions of dollars and their allegations seem shaky at best from what I've read.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 7:20 PM
Skyriser

But Puente v Arpaio is a 100% good thing.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 10:05 PM
self-important urbanista

One other note about yesterday's election: This was the final domino to fall in a long chain of events that began in October 2017 when Jeff Flake announced he woudn't seek re-election to his U.S. Senate seat. With that seat open, Kyrsten Sinema decided to run for Senate. That created a vacancy in the House of Representatives in AZ's ninth congressional district. Greg Stanton stepped down as mayor of Phoenix to successfully seek that office. When Stanton left city hall, council members Kate Gallego and Daniel Valenzuela decided to run for mayor and had to resign from the council in order to do so. Yesterday's elections filled the seats vacated by Gallego in District 8 and Valenzuela in District 5, representing the final step in a process that has played out over more than a year-and-a-half.

Last edited by exit2lef; May 22, 2019 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 2:51 AM

Someone had brought up a demo permit a while back for a beautiful historic home in North Central. Looks like City is going to try and designate as historic property. Great news

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ow/3713961002/

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 3:50 PM

The growth machine continues: Phoenix is the fastest-growing (numerically) city in the country.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ew-census.html

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 7:46 PM

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...sh/3672376002/

Long-time Phoenix restaurants or businesses seem to vanish quicker here than anywhere else I’ve seen. Jerry’s Diner is poised along the same route but the residents of the Green Gables neighborhood are pushing back against the proposed car wash. Keep the good fight going!

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 8:04 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...sh/3672376002/

Long-time Phoenix restaurants or businesses seem to vanish quicker here than anywhere else I’ve seen. Jerry’s Diner is poised along the same route but the residents of the Green Gables neighborhood are pushing back against the proposed car wash. Keep the good fight going!
For Pete's sake, not another car wash. I've lost count of how many I see getting built. They seem to be popping up nearly every square mile and all the ones that are in operation never even seem to be more than a few cars in line at any given time.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 8:41 PM

Pardon my french but I wish they would stop with these fucking drive through only car washes. I don't take my cars through those things, they're terrible. Ever since Los Olivos closed I have nowhere to take my car that I trust with a hand wash. Have been paying Pit Stop over $100 to come out and wash them in the driveway. I'd like to stop doing that but I don't have time to do it myself.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Pardon my french but I wish they would stop with these fucking drive through only car washes. I don't take my cars through those things, they're terrible. Ever since Los Olivos closed I have nowhere to take my car that I trust with a hand wash. Have been paying Pit Stop over $100 to come out and wash them in the driveway. I'd like to stop doing that but I don't have time to do it myself.
I use these drive-thru's in between regular washes just because the outside of my car gets dirtier much faster than the inside.

That said, there really are more than enough of them around.

And the article states they don't think this will negatively impact traffic in the area. I really disagree that. I work right by there, and that area, and the stretch between 32nd St to Central is a huge pinch point. That QT across the street is one of the busiest QT's around. The congestion is a constant battle for us and getting worse by the day.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 10:54 PM

We live in a world that is becoming increasingly automated. Unfortunately, its to be expected that hand washing tis o be offered less and less over the next decade until its no more. I prefer a good hand wash over the drive through, but much harder to find these days.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:57 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
When Los Olivos closed, I switched to Lindstrom Family Auto Wash at 30th St. & Indian School. I've been pleased so far.

My guess is that the proliferation of these cheap, automated car washes has something to do with the "gig economy." More people are using cars they own for extra income driving for Uber, Lyft, Veyo, etc. and therefore need to keep them looking clean. Paying more for hand washes, however, would wipe out the earnings that come from driving passengers.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:29 AM

Thank you, have been to Lindstrom. Aside from the wait I was happy.

Don't forget how many people are moving here. Lots of service type business are opening up all over the valley. Storage units are another. How many car washes would a city of 150k have? Phoenix is getting that many new car washes plus riding the initial wave of the new type of wash at the same time.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Not everyone drives Porsches that need to be hand washed.... hahaha

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:33 AM

Some of us do have cars that need to be have washed, and I don't think we are shrinking in numbers in North Central yet all the decent car washes have turned into drive thru or closed all together.

Last edited by biggus diggus; May 24, 2019 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:58 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
Not everyone drives Porsches that need to be hand washed.... hahaha
I share a Mazda with my wife. I prefer the hand wash because we've got a bike rack mounted on a hitch in the back, and many automated washes have trouble with added hardware, sometimes even refusing vehicles with it. Plus, the hand wash places generally have better customer service and less upselling. I'd rather go to a hand wash place once a month than an automated place once a week. I might feel differently if I were using the car to make a living, though.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 2:51 PM

I go to Lindstrom too and I live out on the east side! Great local biz.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:55 PM
Skyriser

Surprised there's not a Danny's Family in Central Phoenix somewhere. All the other chains can go to hell for all I care.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest