HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I can't imagine any microbreweries locally that could make a business case for buying the old rectory and paying the mortgage on beer sales. It seems clear I'm in the minority on this, but still, that's a lot of money. I keep hearing this wish by many forumers, maybe I'm wrong?
Agree. They'd have to find a way to get multiple revenue streams from the property. The real estate listing says the 2nd & 3rd floors could be residential. It also suggests: "The main level would be perfect for retail, office, restaurant, or professional services use."

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
FiveFive Queen - current status:

The final application of the cladding on this building seems like it is occurring at a glacial pace............
55 Queen is a beautiful building and a real treat to see actual architectural design in a Moncton residential building. But I am wondering about this trend of a lot of buildings designed in almost all black colour scheme like this? Will dark or black buildings remain the vogue in design? Just seems to be quite popular these days, but I am not sure if I am sold on the longevity of this colour scheme. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
55 Queen is a beautiful building and a real treat to see actual architectural design in a Moncton residential building. But I am wondering about this trend of a lot of buildings designed in almost all black colour scheme like this? Will dark or black buildings remain the vogue in design? Just seems to be quite popular these days, but I am not sure if I am sold on the longevity of this colour scheme. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of this building, but like Ifyoubuildit said, there is a question about longevity, especially in the climate change aware environment. I know that there aren't a lot, but I would think these black buildings would generate a lot of heat and raise the temperature of the city. When you have cities around the world looking at ways to change the color of their roads to reduce the amount of heat generated from the sun you would think that builders would look at different materials/colors for their buildings to also reduce the amount of heat the buildings are generating. Again, don't get me wrong, I love this building and maybe the amount of people living in the building downtown and not driving as much will offset some of it, but at some point we will have to think about a different design to these buildings to make them more efficient.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
I brought this up in the Dieppe forum last week.

The design will certainly date these buildings. All I can think of is the 3-4 storey apartment buildings around NB that all have the "barn-style" roof . It's not hard to tell when they were built. Or the vinyl-clad apartments from the '90s. Or the weirdly shaped brick and brown sided schools from the '80s.

Hopefully, when trends change, these buildings can be easily updated. Unlike 1234 Main, which was a major undertaking.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 2:53 PM

Driving by this morning, I see they are working on the east exterior of the building. It seems to be taking forever to finish the outside. There is still a lot of the back of the building unfinished.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 4:28 PM

They are the sure winners of "Longest Time Blocking A Major Downtown Thoroughfare Due To Construction Award." No biggie for me really, but I don't have to do regular business in that area so I just don't drive near there. Anyway I agree the building is lovely and transformative for that whole area of town. Just get the hell off the road will yas LOL!

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
They are the sure winners of "Longest Time Blocking A Major Downtown Thoroughfare Due To Construction Award." No biggie for me really, but I don't have to do regular business in that area so I just don't drive near there. Anyway I agree the building is lovely and transformative for that whole area of town. Just get the hell off the road will yas LOL!
I do drive to the area every once in a while to look at the building. I agree it is a major addition to the area. I drive around the block so I can see the building from all sides. The thing that I always notice when I do this is the old dilapidated houses behind FiveFive, in the Victoria/Wesley area. They look terrible.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I do drive to the area every once in a while to look at the building. I agree it is a major addition to the area. I drive around the block so I can see the building from all sides. The thing that I always notice when I do this is the old dilapidated houses behind FiveFive, in the Victoria/Wesley area. They look terrible.
Someone has bought them en bloc. They'll be gone soon, I would imagine.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballFan View Post
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I thought I saw a "for rent" sign in one of the windows not too long ago. I think it's a great location for residential. Hopefully they build something substantial.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 6:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Really! That's interesting. Any idea of what might be afoot?

FiveFive Queen may end up being quite the impetus for gentrification of the east end.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:

FiveFive Queen may end up being quite the impetus for gentrification of the east end.
McInnis Group, out of Summerside PEI. They own these:

http://www.chesapeakesuites.ca/

If you look at the site's footprint, you could do something substantial there. At the very least, something like another 83 Botsford would be another nice infill project.

Last edited by BaseballFan; May 23, 2019 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
McInnins Group, out of Summerside PEI. They own these:

http://www.chesapeakesuites.ca/

If you look at the site's footprint, you could do something substantial there. At the very least, something like another 83 Botsford would be another nice infill project.
Living in Summerside, I know Chesapeake own high end Apartment buildings in town.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 6:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, potentially downtown retirement suites perhaps incorporating assisted living. This could go over quite well.

Their other projects don't look too bad but no vinyl siding please........

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:

That's exactly what I was thinking. FiveFive could result in more development in this area for sure. McInnis Group could build a really nice residential property on this site. Moncton wants more density and residential down town. Lets hope they do something substantial.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 3:02 PM

Lester Ave. blocked off this AM as they are working on the exterior of the building again today. Workers are now putting cladding on the back side of the building. Slowly it's taking shape.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:01 PM

Saw workers on the roof of the building this morning. Also noticed that they've made some progress on the exterior of the back. I wonder when the first tenants/condo owners will be moving in.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:52 PM

I saw this morning chairs on a couple of patios . and some furniture in the windows.. seems maybe some people are moving in.

i was surprised to see mini split compressors on some of the balconies.. wont be much fun sitting beside that on on your balcony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Saw workers on the roof of the building this morning. Also noticed that they've made some progress on the exterior of the back. I wonder when the first tenants/condo owners will be moving in.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
I saw this morning chairs on a couple of patios . and some furniture in the windows.. seems maybe some people are moving in.

i was surprised to see mini split compressors on some of the balconies.. wont be much fun sitting beside that on on your balcony.
According to my calculations from info on their site, they have sold 26 of the 41
condos, and rented 8 of the 14 available for lease. Maybe the next announcement we hear from FiveFive will be about the hotel.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 8:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I checked out Experience by ANBL today for the first time - very nice, if perhaps a little smaller than I was expecting. The selection of wines, craft beers and spirits is certainly different from your typical ANBL store. Some of the wines are similarly priced to standard wines at other locations, but typically there is about a 25-40% premium, and, of course, some selections are out of this world (like a $30,000 bottle of Scotch whiskey I was looking at). Pleasant shopping experience and knowledgeable staff - I'll be back.

Now that the construction fencing is gone from the front of FiveFive, it's possible to get up close and personal to the building.

View from the entrance driveway in front of the main lobby.

Driveway and porch in front of the lobby, with the Bell Aliant Tower in the background.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 10:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another picture of FiveFive Queen, this time from a 6th floor office window at the Bank of Montreal Building in the city hall complex.

I apologize for my faint reflection in the office window,

This is a neat perspective of this nearly complete building. One thing I like about it is that is gives you a chance to see the 9th floor penthouse at FiveFive, part of which will be used as a rooftop tapas bar & lounge for the hotel (to be called the Top Deck), and the other part as a common use terrace and party room for the condo owners.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces