HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 3:37 AM

I drove by the new Collaborative Science Research building today and took a few snaps

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 1:53 PM

Anyone know what's going in at Stonegate in the parking lot next to Wok Bok/Ashley's? Noticed a big red construction fence around there this weekend.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook View Post
Anyone know what's going in at Stonegate in the parking lot next to Wok Bok/Ashley's? Noticed a big red construction fence around there this weekend.
It's going to be a Boston Pizza.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
It's going to be a Boston Pizza.
a 6th one, didnt think we would have another one this soon. i wouldve guessed another 5 years at least.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 4:10 PM
the heat goes on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
a 6th one, didnt think we would have another one this soon. i wouldve guessed another 5 years at least.
thrilling

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 10:22 PM

That sure is a tough location for parking entry and exit for a Boston Pizza to go in there.

I heard another Asian Restaurant going in somewhere near the Sobeys in Stonebridge?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post

I heard another Asian Restaurant going in somewhere near the Sobeys in Stonebridge?
There's supposed to be a Vietnamese place going into the Cory Commons CRUs (the same development as the McDonald's and the new Shell station). It will be in the same building as the Cob's Bread.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
That sure is a tough location for parking entry and exit for a Boston Pizza to go in there.

i was thinking about the parking issue too...during the day its packed, guess theres the street/behind ashleys

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
i was thinking about the parking issue too...during the day its packed, guess theres the street/behind ashleys
Any idea what brand of Asian restaurant and where it will be located ?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 2:23 PM

Unsurprisingly, there seems to be some opposition to Meridian's proposed development in Nutana:

Developer plans seven-storey condo building in Nutana

Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: July 6, 2017 | Last Updated: July 6, 2017 7:00 am CST

Quote:

"Meridian Development has purchased the corner lot occupied by the Faith Alive Family Church and is proposing to build a seven-storey condominium building.

About 35 people attended an information session about the proposed 45-unit development on June 28, according to Meridian’s Karl Miller, who says the developer has tried to design the building to fit into the neighbourhood.

“We’ve spent a tremendous amount of time consulting with the residents there,” Miller said in an interview Wednesday. “We’re listening and we’re trying to shape it to address their concerns."
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ding-in-nutana

Last edited by SaskE30; Jul 6, 2017 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 2:55 PM

The project is infill done right.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 3:01 PM

The residents quoted in the article at least sound reasonable enough, not the foaming at the mouth NIMBY type. I wonder if the City and developer will negotiate a haircut for the building of 1 or 2 stories as a compromise -- I really hope not.

Image from the article:

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 4:01 PM

I read this in the SP today:

Quote:
Nutrien’s “registered” headquarters is expected to be in Saskatoon.
What the heck is going on up there? Why is the City and Brad Wall not doing a major push to ensure the "real" head office is Saskatoon as required by Saskatchewan law?

Not having the extremely high paid executives and their teams in Saskatoon would be huge blow.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 4:54 PM

FFS!

Brad Wall never hesitates to spout off petulantly to defend Saskatchewan's interests when he feels they're threatened by the Feds, but when it's big business -- crickets. C'mon.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
FFS!

Brad Wall never hesitates to spout off petulantly to defend Saskatchewan's interests when he feels they're threatened by the Feds, but when it's big business -- crickets. C'mon.
Yea but the NDP closed a hospital 15 years ago so.... (sarcasm)

The hard fact is that most of Potashcorp's executive positions are in the states and surprisingly not in Saskatoon. When BHP attempted the PCS Takeover in 2011 they boasted to increasing their head office number from 209 to 300 and from 6 executives to 11, but who is to actually enforce if they actually did hire that many more. The executives like to spend more time in the chicago (with United cancelling Chicago direct flights last year we will see less and less of them for sure) than in Saskatoon, which is a shame for the company being that 100% of revenues could be going back into Sask if it was still a crown corp and BHP bought it in 2011 versus this whole mess now. Luckily they spend a ton of money locally, but who's to say if that's going to start to slowly dwindle with the new Agrium merger as I don't think Agrium is as vested in one place like PCS is.

On a side note, a Deutche Bank analyst is trying to get BHP Billiton to outright cancel its Jansen mine with the coming of their new chair person September 1st. Not great news on that end for Saskatoon head office expansion as a radical change in direction seems to be forthcoming.

Last edited by roryn1; Jul 7, 2017 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 8:42 PM

Here's a link to voice your concern to the government, maybe if enough people did this you might get more of a fight.

http://www.saskatchewan.ca/contact-us

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 9:42 PM

There's an ICR For Sale/Lease sign up on the vacant Silverwood House property on Queen Street showing this project:

https://www.icrcommercial.com/compon...f1x3w-iv1f6fr8

Appears to be a residential/commercial mix. The condos promised for this site years ago during the Silverwood House demolition controversy never materialized. Would be nice to see this go ahead.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 2:00 AM

Quote:
The residents quoted in the article at least sound reasonable enough, not the foaming at the mouth NIMBY type. I wonder if the City and developer will negotiate a haircut for the building of 1 or 2 stories as a compromise -- I really hope not.

Image from the article:

I love developments like this. I just wish they would be put in move visible places like along 8th Street, Broadway and College Drive.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 2:12 PM

Quote:
There's an ICR For Sale/Lease sign up on the vacant Silverwood House property on Queen Street showing this project:

https://www.icrcommercial.com/compon...f1x3w-iv1f6fr8

Appears to be a residential/commercial mix. The condos promised for this site years ago during the Silverwood House demolition controversy never materialized. Would be nice to see this go ahead.
I really love this development but unfortunately, it seems like it has been stalled for years. Here is a link to the local architect's website who is responsible for the design. There you can see additional renderings and even floor plans. Every time I run into the architect, I ask if there has been any progress on this project and he always tells me its up to developer. I think with Timberpointe now leased out and the success of River Landing Condo, it would be in the Developer's best interests to get this project started before Meridian goes ahead on their University Drive project and steals away potential condo buyers.

http://www.koopmanarchitecture.ca/#/...eet-apartment/

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 4:31 PM

The facade makeover for the building housing Taverna Restaurant on 21st Street is underway.

https://www.icrcommercial.com/sales-...form=hootsuite

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan