Quote:
Originally Posted by GarCastle View Post
I'll trade a pretzel for a picture!
webcam: http://oxblue.com/open/clarkconstruc...alesforcetower

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 4:05 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
On a sidenote, moderating (and posting) on this site has gone down hill and for the past 12-18 months I have been shocked on multiple occasions at the people/amount of people who have been banned.
I was inclined to put this mod business to rest once and for all. I've been on SSP since 2009, and last year was my 5th year. This has been an educational website where I have learned a lot, and taught a lot. This is a site for knowledge exchange, which is beautiful. YES there are some mods who abuse their powers in certain major city threads, and then there are mods who are wonderful (KevinFromTexas, iamhydrogen). But a forum is a representation of a society's people, and a society's people are a representation of a society's government. When you bring science into a thread, you are called a conspiracy theorist.

Then I get caring wonderful private messages from people asking why I was banned for bringing science into a thread (circa 2012).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringSkylines
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE
Quote:
Yo The Big Apple! Why did you get banned for a few weeks?
Have NO idea. Really, it caught me by surprise 7 days, ago, AND I couldn't ask anyone since I couldn't access the forum.
Wow.. That seriously sucks.. I'd be wanting my happy ass to know why they suspended me if I was you.. They banned me for like 3 days because I cussed out (mod name) (Cool, right?) And then they unbanned me? It was weird.
I don't want to ask anyone why I got banned, because the only people who have the answer to that are (mod names). Rather than ask them, I ignore and continue on this SKYSCRAPER forum, and talk about what I love. If I ask them they will pick on you and pick on you, UNTIL you say something which they'll use against you JUST to ban you. Weird site/forum, I KNOW. The unfairness is just crazy, and unjust at times.
Agreed. The admins/moderators act like they run the place in here-- And I have no problem with that. BUT, the way they are doing it is as close to despicable as it gets. I have never seen as much censorship on this website than I have seen with others.
I also have people privately thanking me for bringing science into an engineering forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Hey!

You seem to have had quite a grilling on the forums regarding your opinions on this subject. For what it's worth, I'm convinced there's more to it than meets the eye. I just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one on here with a trillion questions that will never be accurately and honestly answered.

Stay well my friend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsmebqt
Good effort trying to introduce some science into the discussion. It seems that, just like the NIST report, only facts that support the preconceived conclusion will be considered. All other evidence and scientific principles are clearly blasphemy, but are still gospel in engineering and architectural schools.

Even my fellow Canadians, who should be able to be more objective, roll their eyes at me when i get all "blasphemous" on them!

bqt
When you say something negative about the gov't in the Skybar, you are also 'grilled', even though the gov't has lied to the public before. If you say facts about Ebola you are grilled, because those facts don't match the facts of mainstream. Basically there are many things that could be fixed with the mods on SSP. They can't abuse their powers, BUT the forumers can't push the mods either. It should be a friendly forum where mods don't harass forumers, and forumers don't fight back. To the mods BEHAVE. To the forumers, if mods keep picking on you LEAVE until they forget about you. For the most part, outside NYC threads, the mods are absolutely wonderful, especially Chicago. Back to reality --> spend time with your family, stay happy, and stay safe.

Anyways, this building is doing for San Fran, what the Hudson Yards is doing for Manhattan's West Side. Game Changer. Although the silhouette of the Transamerica poking out as a peak will be missed.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 8:16 PM
Build Baby Build

I have noticed the NYC forum is way more caustic than any other city. Thats to be expected, I guess, but I wish SF had that much action. This SF forum only has a dozen regulars it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Anyways, this building is doing for San Fran, what the Hudson Yards is doing for Manhattan's West Side. Game Changer. Although the silhouette of the Transamerica poking out as a peak will be missed.
Hudson Yards is a big addition to an already big town. Salesforce Tower/Transbay are smaller projects, but I think they will have a bigger impact to San Francisco than HY will to Manhattan. Both are game changing though and great signs for the future of US cities. Now if san francisco could go ultra futuristic like the MoMa tower I'd be in heaven.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 9:16 PM

I would put 50 First Street and 181 Fremont up there with 53w53rd. If they were built in NYC they would be less impactful on the skyline but they would be hailed as amazing additions.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 10:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
I have noticed the NYC forum is way more caustic than any other city. Thats to be expected, I guess, but I wish SF had that much action. This SF forum only has a dozen regulars it seems.
At least 3 to 4 highrises per day and 5 to 6 midrises per day. Average of 2 skyscrapers per week. The permit frenzy is strong and has been like this since August.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 10:41 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Do you still keep a chart (Excel sheet) Chris? Sorry for the OT.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 5:17 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^^

Yea I have a little database for projects. Helps so that I avoid duplicates. Also the midrise thread often has info that you will see published on YIMBY a day later after its posted there. You will hardly find a more comprehensive source (free) on the net and one that is on the day of news being revealed. YIMBY is offering a data package of projects, often for developers, but you have to pay for it.

I want to work on a new NYC highrise thread. In similar style. While the one that we have is okay, its kinda outdated; even with the recent projects, the organization can be confusing (earlier portion) and there are many duplicates and unrelated info. I would be willing to work with you on it or maybe discuss ideas when it comes to documenting projects. PM me if interested.

Maybe we can even do one for Shenzhen or updating it. I remember you wanted to do some sort of database. The current one in my signature is probably as comprehensive as it will get on SSP, but I could use an aid in researching some projects. For the amount of stuff going up, finding those Chinese sites is tricky.

Apologies again for the off topic to the others on this thread.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:14 AM

Nice model of the the Salesforce Tower, First and Mission, and other surrounding developments:

existing and planned buildings, Transbay Terminal area
by sftrajan, on Flickr

I love how slender First and Mission is from the north/south.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:28 AM

2016 will be(gin) the biggest change in SF's skyline in 50 years. These towers should all be poking up by then.

I'm excited for the model on the far left- it's going to be taller than 181 Fremont.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 1:51 PM

Once again the above picture confirms a possible change in design at the top of the tower. Interesting to see what the final design will look like.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:28 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Once again the above picture confirms a possible change in design at the top of the tower. Interesting to see what the final design will look like.
SPUR doesn't know anything we don't know about this tower's design. That model is wrong, not the renders.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 11:57 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Nothing in the real world has "confirmed" these baseless SkyscraperPage rumors.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 10:26 PM

View from in the hole.
http://instagram.com/p/yKiGtpP1_I/

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 11:29 PM
She needs her space

Also, the waler system is being installed for the first level of excavation quite quickly. We'll see 181 Fremont popping out of its hole by the time they are done excavating this one, however, for the technical construction conditions that exist in SF that really only exist perhaps in NYC and Boston to a similar degree, things are moving fast.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 11:35 PM

peeking through the chain link

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 4:01 PM

Wow, they're making significant progress! Looks great!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:27 AM

this would be a great lighting system for the transbay tower. looks great on the shanghai tower.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 5:51 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Yes, let's blind the Telegraph Hill Dwellers.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Yes, let's blind the Telegraph Hill Dwellers.
I wish we would.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 9:06 PM
Build Baby Build

The rain should soften up the dirt. The progress this week (I'd say 3 meters down) has been insane and easily visible on the webcam.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture