HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 10:02 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Reinvesting in Downtown San Antonio Top Priority

Great article about the soon to be downtown renaissance which centers around Hemisfair Park.

Quote:
Reinvesting in San Antonio’s downtown is priority

Mayor targets HemisFair Park as a key step

San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro believes that the Alamo City is on the verge of a center city renaissance. He says the next 10 years can and should be “the decade of downtown.”

But the key to any such sustained reinvestment in downtown, he contends, is the revitalization of HemisFair Park, site of a World’s Fair more than 40 years ago. Castro says he is convinced that the elements are finally in place for such a historic remake.

“HemisFair is a jewel for our city,” Castro says. “It is so tied to our identity in San Antonio. Where else in America do you have in the middle of downtown, in one of the largest American cities, that kind of public space (being underutilized)?”

Ten San Antonio mayors have held office since HemisFair ’68 closed. Castro’s predecessor, Mayor Phil Hardberger, was among those who tried to build enough consensus in the community to move forward with some sort of revitalization plan.

“That place has just been sitting there,” Hardberger told the Business Journal in 2008. “If we can get the dialogue going, we can get the ball rolling,”

Hardberger and others have worked over the years to try and spur momentum for the redevelopment of HemisFair Park. So what hope does Castro have that he can inspire such a redevelopment?

“What’s different now is that there is a real resolve in this community to make some progress,” Castro explains. “And we have $2 million of planning money, of city dollars, in place. So there are actually some resources allocated.”

San Antonio City Council approved in August the creation of the HemisFair Park Area Local Government Corp.

That nonprofit group will assist the city with the planning and management of HemisFair redevelopment projects.

The HemisFair Park site, including the land controlled by the City of San Antonio, the federal government and the University of Texas at San Antonio, covers roughly 75 acres. The site is situated in the heart of downtown, immediately north of Durango Boulevard. Nearby landmarks include the Alamodome, La Villita and the South Town arts district.

Madison Smith, a principal in Overland Partners architectural firm, will chair the new nonprofit’s board. Does Smith believe that Castro will be the mayor who can help push through the consensus necessary to redevelop HemisFair Park?

“Yes, I believe the mayor can and will get HemisFair done,” Smith says. “The big change is that Mayor Castro, in creating a local government corporation to manage its planning and redevelopment, has for the first time provided an effective mechanism for HemisFair to achieve its great potential.

“Now, for the first time since the World’s Fair closed in 1968, the resource and the mechanism are coupled,” Smith adds.

There are other factors that could provide the extra momentum needed to push through a redevelopment plan. One, says Smith, is the planned relocation of the John H. Wood Federal Courthouse from HemisFair Park to the western edge of downtown.

Smith says that move “frees up a large piece of land and makes re-development much more attractive.”

Castro sees unlimited potential for the HemisFair site.

“We have almost a blank canvas in which to work with as long as we respect the history of the space,” he says.

His vision for the land: A mixed-use development incorporating existing historic structures and green space but also a new element — a residential component.

“We need a space,” Castro says, “that is truly attractive to both visitors and residents, that links up to our River Walk and links up to neighborhoods (near South Town).”

Ben Brewer is president of Downtown Alliance San Antonio, a nonprofit stakeholder in the center city. He is a staunch proponent of inner-city redevelopment and reinvestment.

“City and county leaders should work to enact policy that promotes and provides incentives for inner-city development,” Brewer says. “... There should be reasons put in place to attract development interests to the inner-city.”

There are currently about 3,500 residents living in and around downtown, according to Brewer, who says, “We really need somewhere north of 10,000 to really have an impact.”

Castro’s overall goal for downtown includes more residents.

“My vision,” Castro says, “is a vibrant, 24-hour downtown sprinkled with impressive residential, commercial development and with the kind of significant transportation infrastructure that speaks of ... the seventh largest city in the United States.

“There is an immense interest among people who want to live downtown,” he adds. “For the first time in maybe five or six decades, we are going to have a residential base downtown and a commercial base downtown that can attract the things that people have been looking for — dry cleaners, grocery stores, book stores. We’re on the cusp of that.”

The redevelopment of HemisFair Park is central to any downtown renaissance, Smith suggests.

“Our immediate task is to better understand the enormous potential of HemisFair and then to craft the mixture of economic, aesthetic, cultural and historic ingredients which will help propel San Antonio to the forefront of great urban places,” he says. “Just as HemisFair transformed San Antonio in 1968, its redevelopment will transform our city in this 21st century.”

Castro says San Antonio must reinvest in downtown or risk self-inflicted wounds that could take decades to heal.

“Downtown is the heart of a city. If your downtown isn’t successful, the rest of the city tends to decay from the middle,” he warns. “As downtown goes, so goes the rest of the city.”

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 2:55 PM
Come and Take It

The Local Government Corporation (LGC) has yet to meet amongst themselves (let alone the public) and O.P.'s Mr. Smith is sharing a plan to move Marmon Moks's iconic HemisFair '68 Theatre (John Woods courthouse)?...how much will that cost? Will we also be moving the Tower of the America's and the HemisFair '68 Mosaic Mural on the facade of the facility that Marmon Mok is in the process of renovating?

Certainly, before announcing that we are going to rip into what is widely recognized as our city's most important 20th century event/legacy, it would be prudent to consult with the citizens of San Antonio at large. Mayor Castro, in the article above, recognizes that "HemisFair" is tied to our identity....or does he?

Let's take a few steps back and start with the analysis of the LGC's business plan and financial scenarios .... oops?

Last edited by Don Cajones; Sep 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cajones View Post
The Local Government Corporation (LGC) has yet to meet amongst themselves (let alone the public) and O.P.'s Mr. Smith is sharing a plan to move Marmon Moks's iconic HemisFair '68 Theatre (John Woods courthouse)?...how much will that cost? Will we also be moving the Tower of the America's and the HemisFair '68 Mosaic Mural on the facade of the facility that Marmon Mok is in the process of renovating?

The John Woods Courthouse was outgrown many years ago. I think the plan is to build a new Federal Courthouse where the Police HQ's is at. I think it is in next years budget with the GSA for the courthouse to get designed with construction to start in fiscal year 2011.

Oh, and I don't think the Tower is going to be moved.

Also, I think this planning is due to the fact that the Federal Courthouse is set to move, not the other way around.
Nothing wrong with making some plans a couple of years early instead of letting the land sit unused.

Anybody else see the work done on the Hayes St. Bridge?
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Sep 17, 2009 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 4:49 PM
Come and Take It

You're correct, the Tower will stay. The concern is that the courthouse is part of an "ensemble" of architectural modernism that represents both our city's identity and our city's most important 20th century event....this is why the 1988 ordinance renamed these grounds "HemisFair" Park is it not??

That engineering firms HAVE ALREADY provided cost estimates to physically uproot the HemisFair '68 Theatre (courthouse) is concerning. Vigorous and transparent dialogue about adaptive reuse needs to be the first step.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 9:32 PM

Don, you have a much higher option of those Hemisfair buildings than most of us that is for sure.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 1:08 AM

Quote:
You're correct, the Tower will stay. The concern is that the courthouse is part of an "ensemble" of architectural modernism that represents both our city's identity and our city's most important 20th century event....this is why the 1988 ordinance renamed these grounds "HemisFair" Park is it not??

That engineering firms HAVE ALREADY provided cost estimates to physically uproot the HemisFair '68 Theatre (courthouse) is concerning. Vigorous and transparent dialogue about adaptive reuse needs to be the first step.
I see what you're saying.
I had to wait and sit a minute to think of what kind of reuse this could be turned into; the courthouse itself is a nice looking building (as we can see in your pic.)
Took me back to a couple of weeks ago when I was in DC and took a little tour into the Old Post Office Pavillion.
For those who haven't been, the Old Post Office was outgrown in 15 years, and you can read the rest of the history on the webpage. While walking through it, I couldn't imagine them wanting to tear it down. Plus, it now offers some of the best views of the District.
I too think that reuse should be considered. The elimination of the fed building, not the courthouse, would still give plenty of space, especially if the parking lots disappear as well.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Sep 18, 2009 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 4:17 AM
Come and Take It

http://www.marmonmok.com/about/class...r-hemisfair/#1
http://www.marmonmok.com/about/class...high-school/#1

Agreed, the Fed Building is post '68, A footnote in the history books is sufficient.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 4:57 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:

The courthouse is a greatlooking building but I don't agree that it is representative of the city's identity. I would also argue that our city's most important 20th century event was the Great Depression. That event changed the course of the city's history. There was considerable construction and develpment in the mid to late 1920's. The city was going vertical. More highrises were intened to be constructed. A 100 story building was proposed to be built on the island area of the Riverwalk. The Riverwalk was constructed as a result of the Depression as one of Roosevelt's WPA projects. Who knows what direction the city would have taken if the Depression had not come along at that time.

Hemisfair was created to be a moment in time event. We should remember it, not dwell on it. Tear down the Courthouse and Federal Building and reinvite Marmon Mok to create a similar design reflecting the Hemisfair '68 experience, maybe with a marriage of Hemisfair architectual styles. As long the Tower, the Convention Center, the artificial Riverwalk Extension area, and the Hilton Hotel are still around, the imprint of Hemisfair will persist. The rest of the buildings can be footnotes in the history books.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 6:38 PM

Lightbulb

When was there ever a time San Antonio didn't invest in its downtown?
After 40 years of investing, ever since the Hemisfare in the late 1960s, the central business district should be able to walk by itself by now instead of crawling. My only conclusion is that past public investments in the CBD weren't wisely chosen.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 10:02 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
When was there ever a time San Antonio didn't invest in its downtown?
After 40 years of investing, ever since the Hemisfare in the late 1960s, the central business district should be able to walk by itself by now instead of crawling. My only conclusion is that past public investments in the CBD weren't wisely chosen.
Hemisfair.

The city hasn't had a pointed investment in downtown in decades. The last "investment" before the Main Plaza redevelopment was Henry Cisneros' East Houston reworking, which narrowed it to two lanes by the Alamo.

Your conclusions are often wrong.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 12:02 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
The city hasn't had a pointed investment in downtown in decades.
Riverwalk and Alamo Dome were not pointed investments in downtown San Antonio? Who decided to build the new Spurs Arena someplace else? That would have been a great attraction in downtown San Antonio.....

Like I wrote before, past investments by the city may have poorly chosen or as I add now, poorly placed.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Riverwalk and Alamo Dome were not pointed investments in downtown San Antonio? Who decided to build the new Spurs Arena someplace else? That would have been a great attraction in downtown San Antonio.....

Like I wrote before, past investments by the city may have poorly chosen or as I add now, poorly placed.
2 investments since Hemisfair?

Again, not many if any since Hemisfair.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 8:20 PM

Actually, there have been several investments in downtown and some have not turned out well. Some have been public/private projects.

Remember the pink elephant? This was the west side shopping center on the site that is now UTSA downtown (the Radisson is all that is left). There was the major street repair (you know, all of the paving stones). There's the Central Library, the international center, the convention center expansion. Houston Street was mainly done by a developer from Maryland. The city did, however, limit the road to 2 lanes and widen the sidewalks.

But in retrospect, some of these were things the city had no business getting involved in (like the shopping center and the convention center hotel). A lot of what they do is short-sighted. The arena should have been downtown. I can't see how anyone can argue against that. I suppose we could start a hindsight thread, so I'll stop.

I worry about the rush to do away, or transform Hemisfair Park. There is no way that this is the key to downtown development. There are plenty of other lots available for development. Maybe the city can light a fire under downtown land owners who are letting their property rot by fining them for creating a public hazard. Giving them incentive to sell. I get the bad feeling that some sweetheart deal is the catalyst for doing something here.

"Mixed use development" is not a vision, it's business as usual. How vague can you be? I see "growth and prosperity"! My personal feeling is that Hemisfair can be incorporated into the convention center and that the lot where the old SAWS building was/is should used for a transportation hub (it's in between the major east/west downtown roads, close to all highways and near the tracks at Sunset Station).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 10:02 PM
Come and Take It

Increasing the downtown population from 3,500 to 10,000+ residents is a wonderful objective. What's our objective to proportionately increase our downtown green space (at a minimum hold the line)?

As packaged and sold to the public, the close to $80 million on the Museum reach (and growing) was made to bring these residents and mixed-use projects.

It's interesting that Castro's comment that the people are looking for drycleaners was in bold.. who else wants a drycleaners in HemisFair Park? Future generations will be better served by consolidating our central park. Seriously, can we not think about skyscrapers (buffer/density) on the south side of Durango?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 10:10 PM
Come and Take It

Transportation hub on the north side of the convention center (or Sunset Station area) = excellent idea/amentiy for our downtown visitors (especially business & tourist).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Increasing the downtown population from 3,500 to 10,000+ residents is a wonderful objective. What's our objective to proportionately increase our downtown green space (at a minimum hold the line)?

As packaged and sold to the public, the close to $80 million on the Museum reach (and growing) was made to bring these residents and mixed-use projects.

It's interesting that Castro's comment that the people are looking for drycleaners was in bold.. who else wants a drycleaners in HemisFair Park? Future generations will be better served by consolidating our central park. Seriously, can we not think about skyscrapers (buffer/density) on the south side of Durango?
First, the term "green space" is an abstraction. It doesn't describe anything, and is usually used in suburban planning vernacular (in itself an abstract thing). Our central city has a great system of public spaces - urban parks, plazas, squares, natural areas, and, of course, the Riverwalk (one of the most unique public spaces in the country). And more importantly, they're arranged in a meaningful way.

This is the overarching problem with Hemisfair Plaza - it's an confused collection of dreary, dated "modern" buildings, segregated by uses and physically removed from the fabric of the rest of downtown. It's the posterchild of the worst sort of Robert Moses-inspired "planning" efforts from the middle of last century. It's the polar opposite of an authentic urban neighborhood, and a miserable use of public property.

As I mentioned, the central city has great public spaces (and other important civic amenities). What it doesn't have (and desperately needs) is a critical mass of medium-density residential, built in accordance with the principles of the new urbanism (compact, walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods). That's not to say that the redevelopment of Hemisfair shouldn't contain parks/plazas/etc/; it absolutely should. But on the hierarchy of things to be concerned about, a lack of "green space" is pretty low on the list.

Finally, the overall tone of your posts suggests a cynicism about the motives of the people trying to create a more livable central city. I hope that's not the case.

Chad.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 2:11 PM

Why would a transit hub be needed at the SAWS location when the Robert Thompson Transit Station/Sunset Station is 200 yards to the east?

Quote:

I think "drycleaners" is a general placeholder for local serving retail and services. I'm not quite sure if he was recommending that we put a drycleaners at Hemisfair. I think the idea is to have a healthy blend of projects on the site and in DT as a whole. If we use the site for 1 or 2 things, aren't we just going to use suburban-style development techniques to develop/create an urban public space?

In suburban-style planning, "green space" means "nothing." People would rather have "nothing" next to them than an actual park or public area.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Why would a transit hub be needed at the SAWS location when the Robert Thompson Transit Station/Sunset Station is 200 yards to the east?
How exactly is that used? I thought it was basically a parking stop for VIA and really only useful to the public when bringing people to the Alamodome (which we know how often that is used). Now, it is next to Sunset Station if that is ever used for rail.

The SAWS site could have (big) parking garages built with pickup and drop off areas for buses, hotel vans and taxis, relatively easy access to Sunset Station, or maybe even a streetcar that runs down commerce from Sunset Station to UTSA.

Wouldn't it be nice to reduce the downtown traffic?

The site is huge (not really sure how much they could use). Do they really want to expand the convention center to an area that will be surrounded by roads and highway? Wouldn't it be nicer to expand into Hemisfair and incorporate what is there?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
How exactly is that used? I thought it was basically a parking stop for VIA and really only useful to the public when bringing people to the Alamodome (which we know how often that is used). Now, it is next to Sunset Station if that is ever used for rail.

The SAWS site could have (big) parking garages built with pickup and drop off areas for buses, hotel vans and taxis, relatively easy access to Sunset Station, or maybe even a streetcar that runs down commerce from Sunset Station to UTSA.

Wouldn't it be nice to reduce the downtown traffic?

The site is huge (not really sure how much they could use). Do they really want to expand the convention center to an area that will be surrounded by roads and highway? Wouldn't it be nicer to expand into Hemisfair and incorporate what is there?
Sounds like good ideas.
Garage with skywalks going over Commerce and Market to the convention hotels.
I don't know what the Thompson Transit Station is used for either, but with some improvements, it could be useful. I know that VIA now plans to use it for charging up the batteries on their new buses they plan to roll out next spring.

Reducing traffic downtown would be nice. I've always hoped that 1 lane could be made a full bike lane to have only 2 full lanes and a bus/right-turn lane. Do we really need 4 lanes?
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 3:33 PM
Come and Take It

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadpcarey View Post
This is the overarching problem with Hemisfair Plaza - it's an confused collection of dreary, dated "modern" buildings, segregated by uses and physically removed from the fabric of the rest of downtown. It's the posterchild of the worst sort of Robert Moses-inspired "planning" efforts from the middle of last century. It's the polar opposite of an authentic urban neighborhood, and a miserable use of public property.

As I mentioned, the central city has great public spaces (and other important civic amenities). What it doesn't have (and desperately needs) is a critical mass of medium-density residential... Chad.
The 1988 ordinance made HemisFair a "Park" (not a plaza, not a neighborhood).

The park is largely being used for children's amentities, cultural events, gallery/museum space and non-profit establishments like the Parks Foundation. Consolidating HemisFair's present uses with a Calvert Vaux / conservatory strategy will deliver far greater benefits than could ever be derived from an "undemocratic vision" of medium-density, mixed-income housing ..... POLAR OPPOSITES.

I appreciate your "dreary modern" interpretation. I on the other hand believe the "Confluence Theatre" is a historic example of public art that is a creation of San Antonio's own genius. Its new formalism design still makes perfect dialogue with Ford's Tower of The America's.

Fortunately, the Cyrus Wagner designed HemisFair '68 Women's Pavilion already has obtained protection, although I understand that a few LGC directors will attempt to reverse this decision so a greater density of mixed use condominiums can be layered around the edge of the park.

Removing the Conlience Theatre from HemisFair distorts our city's history. Public discussion is warranted, and I hope the LGC professionally can handle this hot potato.

Last edited by Don Cajones; Sep 24, 2009 at 6:21 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio