HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 7:20 PM

Looking at the final plans for the Empress project, I can't figure out what the city is thinking with the bike lanes. It looks like bikes are supposed to enter the loop (on the road) off of the Eastbound lanes of Portage Ave and then get on the bike path. It doesn't look particularly safe. Also, the new ramps from Portage Ave sidewalks to the overpass are intended for pedestrians only, not shared between cyclists and pedestrians. Overall, seems like an odd design. Also, not pictured in the photo here, is the bike lane connection to St. Mathews. Because the bike lane is two way on the east side of Empress, the connection to the existing (half assed) bike lanes on St. Matthews will be quite awkward depending on the direction of travel.

The high res PDF is here: https://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/...nal_Design.pdf

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Looking at the final plans for the Empress project, I can't figure out what the city is thinking with the bike lanes. It looks like bikes are supposed to enter the loop (on the road) off of the Eastbound lanes of Portage Ave and then get on the bike path. It doesn't look particularly safe. Also, the new ramps from Portage Ave sidewalks to the overpass are intended for pedestrians only, not shared between cyclists and pedestrians. Overall, seems like an odd design. Also, not pictured in the photo here, is the bike lane connection to St. Mathews. Because the bike lane is two way on the east side of Empress, the connection to the existing (half assed) bike lanes on St. Matthews will be quite awkward depending on the direction of travel.

The high res PDF is here: https://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/...nal_Design.pdf
I think more than anything it will just connect that path that runs along the Assiniboine with that little bridge over Omands creek

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 8:14 PM

Are there any cycling lanes on Portage in that area? I don't think there is. Maybe once they are added, the pathway will connect to the roadway bike lane. As Ed mentioned, the intent is to connect the river path to the bike network.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 8:26 PM

That's just it. There are no bike lanes on Eastbound Portage. The entry point to the bike path on the loop seems pretty unsafe? Most folks will probably just connect from the sidewalk. Here is a larger image of the area I'm talking about.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 8:39 PM
BANNED

seems to indicate the city probably has plans for portage bike lanes.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 9:40 PM

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
seems to indicate the city probably has plans for portage bike lanes.
That would be great, but my city councilor (Scott Gillingham) insists there are no plans for Portage Ave. bike lanes. I hope he's wrong.

Here is the actual approach to the Empress bike lane. It's only partly paved, but it is plowed and does connect to the AT path through Omand's Creek now.
When I see this, I think why can't this be done along Portage Ave? All they have really done is taken a very wide sidewalk/boulevard and divided it into two parts, one for cycling, and one for walking. Seems like a no-brainer on Portage with it's really wide sidewalks?

No signage or markings on the road yet to indicate it's a bike route.

Here is the approach from Portage. Could use a sign to indicate it's a bike route?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 5:18 PM
BANNED

12 people have been killed and 33 injured as pedestrians so far this year. wish there was a big provincial and city safety strategy for this, not liquor bottles.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 7:21 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Page 25 of the RFP
"(f) Improve crosstown and downtown connectivity by exploring the opportunity to develop an east-west crosstown “Parkway” corridor between Transcona and the Airport Precinct (passing through Point Douglas and the north side of downtown) running parallel to exiting CN and CP main railway lines. This corridor would be envisioned to be a multi-modal facility including a limited-access roadway (taking advantage of existing bridges), exclusive transitway and truck lanes, dedicated bicycle pathway and pedestrian walkways. This would be seen as an opportunity to develop sustainable
transportation infrastructure, “green” an otherwise drab industrial urban landscape, and improve connectivity in the overall transportation network."

Sounds like the city is interested in making a potential splash... yes for the transit aspect, absolutely. The limited access roadway sounds like it would be prohibitively expensive and destructive, mind you, mostly to industrial lands and the like. The hardest and most disruptive bit would likely be the Point Douglas area. Only option not to destroy the congruity of the cityscape there would be to go underground... again, stupid expensive.

After sifting through the rest, it looks like this plan is expected to be quite the document and could have the power to be exceptionally good for the city. The main thing I would like to see once the plan is published is that the city stick to the vision and implement planning for developments etc. accordingly...
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 7:22 PM

^ Geez louise, that sounds like something straight out of 1962

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 7:41 PM

There have been a number of RFP's released today on this topic. Breaking out various aspects. Rather interesting approach.

I don't have a clue where the City will find any money for all of this. A parkway from Transcona to the airport sounds interesting to me. Maybe because I like transportation projects. We'll see how this all shakes out.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 7:41 PM
BANNED

the entire plan on the province and city is to turn this place into a commodity to profit off and destroy it while they all go live in their second homes in protected areas around the world.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 3:48 PM

One thing I forgot to mention is a Fermor and Lagimodiere interchange project that was listed on the Cities infrastructure priority document. It's low on this list, at number 40 out of 45. But needs funding by 2025 to get going. Lots of the ring road projects, maybe all of them, are on there.

The WATS study will hopefully figure all of that out.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 3:50 PM

An interchange at Fermor and Lagimodiere would make sense. If there are going to be any interchanges built within the city itself, I'd say that the "inner ring" (Chief Peguis, Bishop Grandin, Lagimodiere and whatever the hell the western leg is supposed to be) should be the priority.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:34 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
An interchange at Fermor and Lagimodiere would make sense. If there are going to be any interchanges built within the city itself, I'd say that the "inner ring" (Chief Peguis, Bishop Grandin, Lagimodiere and whatever the hell the western leg is supposed to be) should be the priority.
Even if they just ignore the west leg, the improvements to kenaston should help with some of that.

I'd be happy if bishop lag and chief penguis were all made more or less limited access. Big projects though, especially in a few places on lagimodiere.

Wheres this priority document btw?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Even if they just ignore the west leg, the improvements to kenaston should help with some of that.

I'd be happy if bishop lag and chief penguis were all made more or less limited access. Big projects though, especially in a few places on lagimodiere.

Wheres this priority document btw?
It's here:
https://www.winnipeg.ca/infrastructu...cture-plan.stm

There's a pdf document within that page. It's basically just a big priority list with estimated costs and some basic descriptions of the projects.

I find it confusing that under the Ed Schreyer Parkway, it noted it as part of the eastern ring road. Like the eastern ring road, in which the city sold the corridor that now has houses built on it?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
It's here:

There's a pdf document within that page. It's basically just a big priority list with estimated costs and some basic descriptions of the projects.

I find it confusing that under the Ed Schreyer Parkway, it noted it as part of the eastern ring road. Like the eastern ring road, in which the city sold the corridor that now has houses built on it?
Will be lucky if all of the top 10 get done in our lifetime. Look at all the money going towards wastewater, certainly not glamorous projects like interchanges are. But if it helps fix Lake Winnipeg, then it's gotta be.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's here:

I would think this isn't the most up-to-date document based on the Ed Schreyer Parkway. So it is likely that people should take much of it with a heafty grain of salt.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:09 PM

The document is brand new. Infrastructure plan 2020.

The piece they talk about can still exist and connect CPT to regent. But that's about it. No ring road possible from there unless they deke over to Plessis and follow that alignment down to Fermor. The old right of way south of regent was sold. Now has Vickar Mitsubishi and a bunch of houses built on it.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Then there seems to be cut-and-paste irrelevant information still present. A very sloppy job for a city document.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan