HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Beitler Telecom Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 7:22 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467
I think it used to be, back in the day. But I seem to remember reading somewhere that a decision was made to leave it up there even though most broadcasting would be done from JHC/Sears. I can't remember whether the reason was cost, nostalgia, or some residual telecommunications usage.
Pru stopped broadcasting when JHC went onling in the 60's. By then some areas south of the JHC where getting signal issues caused by radio beams reflecting off the Hancock tower and arriving at people's receivers a split second after the waves direct from Pru. This would cause double images.

The antenna is a large, structurally integrated part of the building. Removing it would have been very expensive.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 7:51 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I think that this thing should be built. I don't think its great, but its not an aberration. I guess I should be open minded about the changing appearance of the Chicago skyline. I think it belongs over behind Sears though.

If it brings height and tourists...Glory to Chicago.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:06 PM
Chicagotom SSC

What about the Folio Buidling Site - Tear that NIBY rat nest down and relocate that bunch to Batavia -

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:22 PM

How bout they place this thing in some little known suburb looking for glory. Or even better, a suburb that has a mayor with a major inferiority complex.

Rosemont is perfect.

(then again it's too close to ohare)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:49 PM
Puyo!

I like the Fordham Spire, it will wash Sears Tower's devilish looking on Chicago off.

And the "Tall Tower" whatever it calls in the first picture of this forum, will be my VERY shame ever man made. The needles on the top of the "Tall Tower" bothers me. "Tall Tower" is a monsitroy(sp?).

Last edited by PuyoPiyo; Dec 4, 2006 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 10:55 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

See... I LOVE the sinister look of many Chicago scrapers.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 12:09 AM
BANNED

^ Paint CS black!

I love how our skyline has the cold, hard, insensative to just plain evil theme going on, it should be continued. Either continue the theme or create a counter-theme of a new generation of "good" buildings like CS and Trump. They have such great contrast to the old chicago three!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 12:19 AM
Puyo!

Don't get wrong idea, I like the Sears Tower. I was just saying that Chicago need something beauty tower like Fordham Spire.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 1:04 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I never liked this tower since it takes away from the fordham spire and destroys its effect. Hope it doesn't get built.

Am not the biggest fan of towers that aren't buildings anyway

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 6:41 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280
^ Paint CS black!

I love how our skyline has the cold, hard, insensative to just plain evil theme going on, it should be continued. Either continue the theme or create a counter-theme of a new generation of "good" buildings like CS and Trump. They have such great contrast to the old chicago three!
Can't CS just be a b!tch in a pretty dress?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:28 PM

I know im late in the thread--- but this project is just amazing! Chicago is just too much. The architects, the innovation-- the city! I have always considered NYC the US's showcase city-- but if these towers go under construction-- that will surely change. But if NYC builds some of there proposed massive projects-- it will change back--lol

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
I never liked this tower since it takes away from the fordham spire and destroys its effect. Hope it doesn't get built.

Am not the biggest fan of towers that aren't buildings anyway
I will admit- I am not a fan of non-occupiable structures either-- but there is something about this tower-- number 1: it would shut Cananda up regarding its CN tower-- not that I have anything against Toronto-- I love that city dearly-- but I'm over the CN Tower-- like for the last several years!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
I really don't like the design but if I had to choose I'd go with the South Loop just to extend the skyline south. Putting it 3 miles out on the southside would not be feasible due to community opposition. Who wants to have a 2000 foot tower near their single family bungalow?
That's hilarious! Could you imagine! The tower is going to be a tourist atrraction as well- lets not forget-- it's presence will be somewhat minimized amongst the other towers

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTroyMathis View Post
Quickie visual with less emphasis on complete accuracy:

I kknow Im late again-- but this rendering is stunning-- if this becomes reality Im gathering all my shit and moving to Chicago

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:51 PM

As I said in person to some of the people at the Spire meeting, I just don't see any reason why a broadcaster would pay more to get additional height.

First, when analog TV is eliminated, half the space on the Sears and Hancock becomes vacant.

Second, digital TV signals are so much more efficient that they can be tuned in from much farther than analog signals. We already have more than enough height for signals to reach the entire market area.

Consider the following:
CBS Chicago - their digital signal is attenuated in many directions - because it was interfering with other TV stations - in Wisconsin. And the signal was reaching into Canada, causing issues up there.
CBS Lafayette Indiana (122 miles away) - their digital signal (channel 11) has been reported to be causing interference to the Chicago analog channel 11 (PBS) in the south suburbs.

The FCC is trying very hard to allocate DTV channels across the country so that a signals in adjacent markets do not interfere, but they aren't solving all the problems. Why would they approve* any antennas on a 2000' tower?

* Remember that the FCC has to approve antennas. You don't just get a license for a certain frequency. You have to submit an application for a specific antenna placement, power output, etc. If a TV station wanted to switch from the Sears Tower to the Hancock, the FCC has to OK it.

Honestly, I don't see this as a viable project. I don't know why Beitler is keeping this alive.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukecuj View Post
Call me paranoid or a conspiracy theorist, but I find it odd that this proposal comes along shortly after ' the spire is proposed '. ( both times ). It almost seems like it's out there just to fuck with marketing of the Spire.

Did Beitler and Trump do lunch together once? Was Roeder under the table ?
If anything, it would give the Spire a boost in marketability. It would take the spot light off The Spire in a comfortable way for its residents and developers. Anyone agree?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
Honestly, I don't see this as a viable project. I don't know why Beitler is keeping this alive.
it really is a mystery isn't it? because we also all agreed after the GPAC meeting that SOAR is NEVER going to go for this thing at it's new proposed location in streeterville (or anywhere else in streeterville for that matter). so the site is a no go, and the very reason for it's construction, the antennas, also seems to be a non-starter as you pointed out. so that's why i've changed the title of the thread to "PROBABLY STILL DEAD"

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 19, 2007 at 5:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:32 PM
Go Pens!

I like it more if Beitler & CS were at least different heights and in the same general area. I don't really care for the fact that Beitler is just a telecom tower either - i'd like to see something with some more substance. (although, I do like the top of Beitler w/ the 3 spires)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:41 PM
I'm usually right.

I hate this thing. I think it's completely fugly.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:59 PM
BANNED

SKYNEEDLE, SKYNEEDLE....and put some built in antennae in it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive