HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Beitler Telecom Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 4:43 AM
TL;DR

Part of Beitler's fixation on building the city's tallest building (what would Freud say about that, eh?) includes having Pelli as the designer. Remember, he designed the Skyneedle, and then 181 W. Madison to occupy the site instead.

I really like Pelli's designs for office buildings, but this is bad.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 4:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark
Doesn't even make sense, for broadcast, you want to be on the West side of downtown, to maximize your coverage to the metro area.
Building it on the West side would make less sense considering they would then have to direct the signal in all directions instead of just focusing it to the west. You see they have directional transmission with these things, its kinda like a radar dish, they can focus it in any direction that pleases them. Besides an antenna at this hight, assuming it is given enough power, will have more than enough range to get far beyond the exurbs. It should be able to get decent reception as far north as the southern edge of Milwaukee, a range something like 70-80 miles.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 4:47 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

I have to say this a totally awful project and design and I hope to God Chicago doesn't tackify itself up with this. Out.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 5:00 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila
Remember, he designed the Skyneedle, and then 181 W. Madison to occupy the site instead.
not exactly. skyneedle was intended to occupy a site on the opposite side of wells from 181 west madison. the site is currently home to a 10 story parking garage.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 5:16 AM
TL;DR

Whoops, my bad. But design ideas from the Skyneedle WERE adapted for 181 W Madison.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 5:18 AM
Pacific Wonderland

A tower by, say the Presidential Towers would do fine, a broadcast radius there might be, say 270 degrees, with a sub-transmitter for the loop. Totally doable. I have a good friend that sites towers here in California.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 5:19 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

The design for this isn't horrible. Its just not very...dare I say Chicago? Lame, I know.

I'm not really a fan of "towers," but if this was built next to the Spire, I would be upset.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance
The design for this isn't horrible. Its just not very...dare I say Chicago? Lame, I know.

I'm not really a fan of "towers," but if this was built next to the Spire, I would be upset.
Beitler should buy the rights to 7 S. Dearborn, build it it somewhere in the South Loop, and slap his antennas on top of it. Lakeshore East would also be a nice place for this, near Wacker and Lake Shore Drive. Put the two 2,000 footers across from each other at the mouth of the river. If Beitler is so determined to build a platform for broadcast antennas, he should realize that he has a better shot at actually putting up a building, not a glorified radio mast. Didn't Trump originally offer to join up with the developers of 7SD? With the success of Trump Tower, and the Chicago Spire threatening to steal his thunder, Trump's ego could be put to good use by picking up the dead 1567-footer with Beitler. I just can't see the city letting a 2000 foot broadcast tower going up in Streeterville.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 8:17 AM

To be honest, I don't see why he just doesn't build the Skyneedle instead. I would seriously like to see that rather than a freestanding broadcast tower.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy
Build it on some vacant land in the South Loop.

Yes, somewhere on the south side, maybe even farther south.

Don't broadcasters want to hit the south west side of Michigan? I occasionally see storm warnings on Chicago TV for the south west of Michigan.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
To be honest, I don't see why he just doesn't build the Skyneedle instead. I would seriously like to see that rather than a freestanding broadcast tower.

What would the Skyneedle cost to build? This is supposed to be $350 million, right?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmia
Yes, somewhere on the south side, maybe even farther south.

Don't broadcasters want to hit the south west side of Michigan? I occasionally see storm warnings on Chicago TV for the south west of Michigan.
If there is a storm warning for NW Indiana and parts of SW MI it is on all the airwaves. This past summer we had a great summer evening sunny and balmy and as we drove along lake shore drive an emergency alert blasted all over the radio about the tornados spoted near Beverly IN. It was weird.

WOLF POINT for Christ Sake! That would be perfect!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 5:04 PM

What do people feel about the tower being significantly south or west of the loop? (ie - at least 3 miles away, if not more) I think that from an economic point of view, it could be very beneficial as it would bring a ton of business to neighborhoods that definitely could use it (whereas Streeterville doesn't need it, and having the tower there would just bring about more traffic and congestion). From an aesthetic point of view, it may make sense too, as the tower may not fit in well, if it is put in Streeterville or the Loop, as it may drown out smaller but much more pleasing looking buildings, but it may look better sort of off on it's own, separate from the main cluster of high rises in Streeterville/Loop. Also, it could perhaps bring about a mini second downtownish/business kind of area, kind of like downtown and midtown in Manhattan....what do you guys thinK?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 7:29 AM
BANNED

Putting it really far south would look neat but not far west.

Last edited by Tom Servo; Dec 1, 2006 at 7:48 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 7:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaul Bunyan
Beitler should buy the rights to 7 S. Dearborn, build it it somewhere in the South Loop, and slap his antennas on top of it. Lakeshore East would also be a nice place for this, near Wacker and Lake Shore Drive. Put the two 2,000 footers across from each other at the mouth of the river. If Beitler is so determined to build a platform for broadcast antennas, he should realize that he has a better shot at actually putting up a building, not a glorified radio mast. Didn't Trump originally offer to join up with the developers of 7SD? With the success of Trump Tower, and the Chicago Spire threatening to steal his thunder, Trump's ego could be put to good use by picking up the dead 1567-footer with Beitler. I just can't see the city letting a 2000 foot broadcast tower going up in Streeterville.
1. 7SD is the COOLEST building ever! I'd rather see it built than the CS.
2. I think it'd be AWESOME if Beitler used the 7SD design.
3. SOUTH LOOP all the way! Putting tall buildings in the South Loop and adding more and more density will expand the skyline very nicely!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 8:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton
What do people feel about the tower being significantly south or west of the loop? (ie - at least 3 miles away, if not more) I think that from an economic point of view, it could be very beneficial as it would bring a ton of business to neighborhoods that definitely could use it (whereas Streeterville doesn't need it, and having the tower there would just bring about more traffic and congestion). From an aesthetic point of view, it may make sense too, as the tower may not fit in well, if it is put in Streeterville or the Loop, as it may drown out smaller but much more pleasing looking buildings, but it may look better sort of off on it's own, separate from the main cluster of high rises in Streeterville/Loop. Also, it could perhaps bring about a mini second downtownish/business kind of area, kind of like downtown and midtown in Manhattan....what do you guys thinK?
Ok, but you have to convince me that a TV tower is really going to drum up interest and business.

Midtown and Lower Manhattan have big buildings and are centers of business for far more reasons that touristy schmlatz

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 8:09 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaul Bunyan
I don't think The Spire should have competition at the mouth of the river. I think wolf point or the south loop are better locations.

I was actually thinking about 7SD today, its tri-antennas (in one of the designs) are fantastic. Maybe they could redesign the building a bit and build it a bit bigger and taller, integrating the Beitler and 7SD proposals.

If I remember correctly, Trump did at least have interstes in 7SD. Stick it in the south loop by Park Michigan. Lets get a 4th peak.

Besides, I'm feeling more and more against the idea of Communicatiosn towers. Make it a building. Shorter is fine (not that I dont want it tall) but make it a building for Christ's sake.

If its gonna be a tower though it should be black with white antenna crowns, like Handcock and Sears. It should have that Chicago badass look to it.

Last edited by Alliance; Dec 1, 2006 at 8:14 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 8:13 AM

The Greatest Of All-time.......

I think the skyneedle is THE GREATEST tower proposal in chicago history,you just can't go wrong with this one,elegant,slim but bold and strong,this thing is chicago and its a shame it did'nt get built,but if beitler is trying to build anything he should try and build this.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 8:13 AM

I really don't like the design but if I had to choose I'd go with the South Loop just to extend the skyline south. Putting it 3 miles out on the southside would not be feasible due to community opposition. Who wants to have a 2000 foot tower near their single family bungalow?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
Broadcast tower plan off the ground again
BY SUSAN DIESENHOUSE

In September, he agreed to take a 99-year ground lease from Sunbelt Management Co. of Delray Beach, Fla., on a 50,000-square-foot site at Illinois Street and Columbus Drive.
There was some discussion here and in other threads about whether the Sunbelt parcel was the one south or north of NBC. This link shows Sunbelt at least owned the north one (Illinois+Columbus) several years ago, so yes, the reference in the above article is apparently correct.
http://www.gpchicago.com/users/folde...=north+america

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive