HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 1:00 AM

Recently I heard a little over 50% of the condos are under contract.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 7:28 AM

That's the same guy who's working the ZaZa:

SkyPie's photo: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=283

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 9:14 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Yea I've noticed that too about lack of activity. I drove by there on May 1st and nothing was going on. They started out quick with the announcement then shortly after demolition. I thought this one was going to move fast but it's screeched to a halt. Anyone have any info on what's going on?

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 10:43 PM

Noticed lack of activity yesterday. I thought about waiting a while before posting any concerns. I know I am known for my pessimism on this thread, but I would like to remind folks that the parcel where the Ashton was finally built was fenced off and inactive for a good long while before they finally started a pretty deep excavation. I thought that project was stalled out too, but, lo and behold, the Ashton emerged. Fingers crossed on this one.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Noticed lack of activity yesterday. I thought about waiting a while before posting any concerns. I know I am known for my pessimism on this thread, but I would like to remind folks that the parcel where the Ashton was finally built was fenced off and inactive for a good long while before they finally started a pretty deep excavation. I thought that project was stalled out too, but, lo and behold, the Ashton emerged. Fingers crossed on this one.
That's one long in waiting to begin project I wish never did. But this building in that location would have looked much better than the Ashton. I stopped investing any excitement into new projects until they break ground. Until then let's just say I am acutely interested. My source, Brent, works for one of the electric companies working on some of the major projects dt. He was right about the Fairmont even though they eventually lost their bid. He now says they are bidding on the Independent which appears to be a go, but he hasn't heard anything about this one...yet, or Waller, or most of the other planned projects. I consider him reliable because contractors are in competition to win bids on upcoming projects and are keenly aware of them when those projects are ready to accept bids.
So at least I have somewhat validated my source instead of just making vague announcements.
The company he works for did the electrical on the Colorado Tower and is currently working on the Millennium.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 2:58 AM

I walked past this site around 4:30 this afternoon and there was a bit of activity...a few workers and a small piece of equipment working. I'm not sure because I didn't have time to stop and watch, but it kinda looked like they were clearing out the rest of the debris from what was torn down.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 3:02 AM

They filed for finish out permits through floor 38 during the past week.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
They filed for finish out permits through floor 38 during the past week.
What are "finish out permits?" Just curious. Also, I can't remember where I saw this but I remember reading that this one wouldn't begin vertical construction until the fourth quarter of 2015 because they have to dig down to build the 4-levels of underground parking.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 4:48 AM

Was this fire due to unrelated utility work in West Ave or was it related to prep work for this project? The picture in this article shows it being pretty close to the fence for this project.

Quote:
Crews put out underground electrical fire on West Avenue
KVUE 1:20 p.m. CDT May 6, 2015
A spokesperson with the Austin Fire Department said the fire was extinguished at approximately 12:15 p.m., but the fire shut down West Avenue between Fifth and Sixth Streets downtown for a short time and left a building on West Avenue and Fifth Street without power.
http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local...town/70894442/

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
What are "finish out permits?" Just curious. Also, I can't remember where I saw this but I remember reading that this one wouldn't begin vertical construction until the fourth quarter of 2015 because they have to dig down to build the 4-levels of underground parking.
Commercial finish out just means the completion of the interiors - walls, flooring, etc. I couldn't find the article, but they have a timetable for excavation and start of construction. This project is not falling behind. It's just that we are so damn impatient on SSP and want everything built already!

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 8:08 AM

I posted this about a month ago from the Austin Business Journal.

Quote:
Rogers O’Brien Construction is the general contractor at Fifth & West. Currently, utilities are being relocated at the site. Excavation for the underground parking garage should begin within 30 days and vertical construction is expected to begin in October. Riverside Resources is aiming for completion in fall 2017.
http://m.bizjournals.com/austin/blog...signed-by.html

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 8:12 AM

As someone who did Road & Utilities for various projects including the early stages of Seaholm back in 2007. Rewiring, and laying pipe takes time, it is no easy task. From the progress I have seen at the 5th + West site lately, I can say it won't be too long until we see heavy machinery.

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 1:03 AM

A new rendering - the 6th Floor amenities deck:

https://www.facebook.com/fifthandwest?fref=photo

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 1:35 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Dontcha love those projects that take full advantage w/r/t design of the fact that part of their lot is under a CVC? In this case, a pool from which views of the capitol dome will never go away.

Also, very much loving the orange details.

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 1:39 AM

This project has had some excellent high quality renderings along the way. I love the glass and especially the distorted reflections in this one.

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 2:32 AM
World Traveler

Help me out here with orientation - what road are we looking at in the bottom left? 5th, I'm assuming?

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 2:46 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Help me out here with orientation - what road are we looking at in the bottom left? 5th, I'm assuming?
Well, it's at 5th and West.

This view is looking west down 5th St. just east of the property, so we're seeing AC Lofts, the lot where Shoal Creek Walk is proposed, and Whole Foods (in that order) in the background. That first n/s cross street (where you see that silver sedan parked facing south) is West St. The CVC goes over the SE half of the lot so that's what we're looking at directly which is the pool area being maxed out in vertical usage with parking underneath.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...s.kFyc1SOGTRGA

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 3:35 AM

Won't there be a whole lot of shade on the pool from early afternoon on into the evening?I always liked to swim in sunny pools. The Austonian has a pool with even more shade. I guess high rolling condo dwellers like to stay in the shade.

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Won't there be a whole lot of shade on the pool from early afternoon on into the evening?I always liked to swim in sunny pools. The Austonian has a pool with even more shade. I guess high rolling condo dwellers like to stay in the shade.
They are too busy working/making money to worry about pools. The pools are for their trophy wives.

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Only for part of the year. For most of the late fall through winter there won't be on about half the pool. Keep in mind that downtown is not oriented on a straight north south direction, it has an angle to it that will (when the sun is southerly) keep the tower itself from casting a shadow over the entire pool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin