HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Wife and I headed to St. John's for 5 days in the middle of this month. Your top 10 places to eat downtown? Probably a mix of lunch/dinner. We're doing our best to hit the highlights; I haven't been to the city since I was 16 (30 years ago) and my wife has never been. We're staying at the Sheraton and are pretty fit so walking around isn't an issue, even with the hills.
Fish Exchange's Sunday Brunch Buffet is pretty good if you like to sample different foods. I like their Fish Au Gratin.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 11:07 AM

Drove past the Milestones Restaurant on Hebron way this morning and they now have two large “opening soon” banners hanging on their building. Good to see them finally re-opening.

Last edited by Arrakis; Aug 5, 2018 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Drive past the Milestones Restaurant on Hebron way this morning and they now have two large “opening soon” banners hanging on their building. Good to see them finally re-opening.
I’ve seen a bunch of ads on Facebook about a hiring fair they’re having. Not sure when it is though.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 8:59 PM

The Ramen noodle craze continues in town with another noodle cafe opening in the former Pasta Plus location in Terrace in the Square. Looks pretty nice too.

https://theovercast.ca/can-i-get-a-r...rchill-square/

Last edited by Arrakis; Aug 7, 2018 at 7:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 5:09 AM

A new vegan restaurant is opening in the former Jumping Bean on Harvey Road.

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...-johns-231782/

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 9:24 AM

Vietnamese food returning to St. John's.

Vietnamese food returning to St. John's.

Nira Nugroho's Gingergrass Thai and Vietnamese Restaurant is moving to the MIX at 345 Duckworth Street. Gingergrass was previously located on Barrington Street, Halifax, where it operated for ten years before temporarily closing for relocation in 2017. St. John's is an expansion, and the search continues for a new location in Halifax.

https://www.gingergrass.ca/

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 9:32 PM

Not sure if already mentioned but looks like a Harvey's is going in the former Rogers store in Mount Pearl.

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...-johns-232346/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:00 AM

Well that didn’t last long. The Traditional Coffee House and Restaurant has closed their Mount Pearl location in the Hotel Mt Pearl on Park Ave. Not really surprised by this though. I have eaten there and it was good food but there was no one else there and it was prime Sunday brunch hour. So either people didn’t know it was there or people didn’t want to go to a skanky hotel. They’ve not updated that place in years.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Well that didn’t last long. The Traditional Coffee House and Restaurant has closed their Mount Pearl location in the Hotel Mt Pearl on Park Ave. Not really surprised by this though. I have eaten there and it was good food but there was no one else there and it was prime Sunday brunch hour. So either people didn’t know it was there or people didn’t want to go to a skanky hotel. They’ve not updated that place in years.
Didn't even know it existed until now.

I probably haven't been in that hotel for 15 years and it was pretty gross back then. Has anything been done with it since?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 11:47 AM

Not much has been done. It still looks like 1970 when you walk in the front door.

Traditional Coffee advertised it on Facebook but if you don’t have facebook you prob would not have known it was there and is the likely reason they closed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Didn't even know it existed until now.

I probably haven't been in that hotel for 15 years and it was pretty gross back then. Has anything been done with it since?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:38 PM

Truthfully, people must be goddamn idiots , if they think they can or will complete with Tim Horton's and Starbucks !!!

Place was doomed from the start, no matter where they put it

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 6:34 PM

That's too bad. I go to the one in Torbay and their food is excellent (and they have Trinity coffee which I love!). Terrible location in Mount Pearl.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 4:29 PM

Their location in Torbay is always busy. Many times we've driven past and had to slow as the parking lot was spilling out into the road.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 10:56 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong here ---- but there are very limited choices for a coffee spot , down in Torbay itself ?
The reason why they are successful in Torbay is because of the limited choices. I am assuming there isn't a Tim's, Starbucks, Robin's, Second Cup or even McDonald's for that matter, until you reach Stavanger Drive area ?
That is what they should hang their hat on ! But to open a location in a ratty old Motel, in the oldest section of Mt.Pearl, where there are tonnes of Coffee choices on all sides of you within a 2 minute drive, is absolutely crazy in my opinion.
And obviously I am not alone in that thinking, because it failed pretty quick.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here ---- but there are very limited choices for a coffee spot , down in Torbay itself ?
The reason why they are successful in Torbay is because of the limited choices. I am assuming there isn't a Tim's, Starbucks, Robin's, Second Cup or even McDonald's for that matter, until you reach Stavanger Drive area ?
That is what they should hang their hat on ! But to open a location in a ratty old Motel, in the oldest section of Mt.Pearl, where there are tonnes of Coffee choices on all sides of you within a 2 minute drive, is absolutely crazy in my opinion.
And obviously I am not alone in that thinking, because it failed pretty quick.
I've never heard of the place until it was mentioned here. I'm sure they have some great coffee and food - but I agree with you, putting any business in a dingy motel is probably not the best of ideas. You can't knock 'em for trying at least. Best of luck to them in the future!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
They'll have competition soon with the Robin's opening in Torbay.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post
They'll have competition soon with the Robin's opening in Torbay.
The Robins is opening on the other end of Torbay so not in the direct vicinity.

Honestly the food and coffee there is delicious. They serve Trinity coffee which I love and is heads above what Tims or Starbucks has. The baked goods are all homemade and their turkey wrap/sandwich I'd put above Breens. If you haven't tried it I highly suggest dropping by there.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
The Robins is opening on the other end of Torbay so not in the direct vicinity.

Honestly the food and coffee there is delicious. They serve Trinity coffee which I love and is heads above what Tims or Starbucks has. The baked goods are all homemade and their turkey wrap/sandwich I'd put above Breens. If you haven't tried it I highly suggest dropping by there.
I've tried it, I was a regular for a while. I live just a stones throw from their doorstep. I dispute none of your claims about the quality of their food.

But to suggest it isn't in the "direct vicinity", while technically correct, would lead one to believe the Robin's will be miles and miles from TCH. Torbay isn't that big. The time distance between them will be about 2-3 minutes, even in heavy traffic. One will have a drive-thru and the other doesn't and won't.

That in and of itself is going to hurt them. If you're coming from the North and driving to town after dropping the kids at the school, what's another 2 minutes drive waiting for coffee if it means I don't have to exit my vehicle. Rain and snow alone will virtually force people to Robin's.

In my opinion it would be naive to think Robin's won't have any effect on them. Forgetting the morning commute crowd and thinking specifically about the social crowd let's look at the Robin's in Bay Bull's, which does very, very well with the "let's go hang out and grab an evening coffee" group. They have nice comfy chairs and a relaxing tone.

I'm not suggesting 100% of the TCH's customers are going to bolt to Robin's — they're always going to have their loyal customers — but it would be daft to believe a new coffee shop in Torbay won't hurt them. And if you think the draw of a better tasting coffee (at a more expensive price, I might add) is going to keep people going to the TCH, well you only need look at the queue outside Tim's or Robin's in the morning to recognize that 99% of ppl in NL don't give a crap about the quality of their coffee.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:01 PM

Didn't a large school open up across the street from the Traditional Coffee House in Torbay last year? If I'm not mistaken they have a large staff, and a large student population with parents dropping off students in the morning - that must be good for business for them.

And I have to agree that it is not in the vicinity of the new Robins.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
And I have to agree that it is not in the vicinity of the new Robins.
Torbay isn't huge and everyone leaving Torbay will have to drive past Robin's. They'll have a drivethru, TCH won't, ever, unless they move. TCH's lot fills quickly, just 8-10 cars max, with zero decent overflow in the area.

I'm not saying this is the nail in the coffin — though it may be — but it's foolish to think TCH won't be dealt a blow by having competition in their backyard, even if it is just 5 minutes up the road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's