HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 28, 2007, 6:56 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

SA - River North Conceptual Rendering

From Andres Andujar:

AMAZING.

Old Posted May 28, 2007, 8:01 PM
Austinite

VERY nice! I love how the river is integrated into the project (well of course!)

Question: What's the significance of the red-outlined buildings in the distance? Are they new/proposed (one looks to be the NIX tower)?

Old Posted May 28, 2007, 8:48 PM
Endless Moments...

Wow, such vision. It looks very good...

Old Posted May 28, 2007, 10:42 PM
James

There looks to be so more proposals other than the Kress Tower and the what would have been building by Bank Of America.

Wow, this thing looks amazing, I can't wait until more projects start to break ground.

Old Posted May 28, 2007, 10:56 PM

Wow! That looks awesome.

Do you know what the different colors represent? And where is the Grand Hyatt?

Old Posted May 28, 2007, 11:45 PM

In the foreground is River North, and the color schemes represent:

Yellow - residential (over 5000 units and 12,000 people, hopefully)
Orange - parking (typically inboard, not visible from the street like the Triangle in Austin at Guadalupe and Lamar)
Red - retail
Blue - office

In the background you see the Sketchup model we have built of San Antonio for the purpose of our studies. we have brought the model into Google Earth, so that the missing block buildings are now present, and controlled by us.

Tan - existing
Green - 3D/I projects completed
Red - 3D/I projects studied

The red building near the Nix is the 27 story next to the Kress.
The red building on hte right is the library showing the expansion, conceptually designed by Legorreta.
just to the left of that is a study for a project that is not going forward yet, on Lexington by the Tropicana.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 12:13 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

You an see the 27 story (W) Kress site and in across from it the 14 story proposed, however it is green which means it is completed, I would assume compelted as a deal.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 3:05 AM

Good eye! The 14 story should be red. Not green until built!

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 3:33 AM

Wow thanks for posting this, it's just great. Now my question is where would 35 be in this rendering? Im just trying to get a mental picture and im having a tough time.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 4:12 AM
Meh

I notice they left in that building with the sloped roof down the street from Bank of America Plaza. This image gives me a better idea of its height. I'd say it's probably around 345 feet or so give or take. The Adam's Mark Hotel, which stands a few blocks behind it, is 335 feet tall according to the building's manager. This yellow tower in the lower right looks to be about ~240 feet or so.

That's nice, but man, I'm hoping for more highrises there. Since there seems to be a "no no" rule against building high anywhere near the Alamo or Riverwalk in downtown, I should hope that River North would allow for increased heights, even along the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndresAndjuar
In the background you see the Sketchup model we have built of San Antonio for the purpose of our studies. we have brought the model into Google Earth, so that the missing block buildings are now present, and controlled by us.
Andres, did you guys by any chance survey downtown for building heights for this model? Where did you get the heights from? How did you calculate them? If you have a list of the heights would LOVE to see them. And I still need to make a list of 3D/I projects you guys have done for that height list also.

Thanks for all your contribution.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; May 29, 2007 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 4:22 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Wow. The more I look at all of this, the more impressed I am. And the color coordination stuff is very cool too.

I have to say how thankful I am for Andres showing up and really breathing some fresh life into our speculative discussions.

All of this almost makes me sad to leave San Antonio for South Africa in July...I feel like I'm gonna be missing out on some stuff. But, realistically, this stuff is gonna be going in for years, decades even - so I shouldn't worry.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 4:25 AM
James

So the area in River North, top right from that pictures' point of view, is that going to have development as wel?

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 4:38 AM
Endless Moments...

I am curious. The more i look at the rendering, the more questions i have. I am very familer with the River North Area. My mother works at KSAT which is located right in the middle of the area. Now there is alot of empty land in that area, which can be used for future development. But what about the stuff that is already there. I know there are a couple of warehouses, and a car dealership. DPT has an office along broadway. Are these business/properties going to be bought out and the land redeveloped?

I look at the map, and its shows future development on these spots.

Also on another side note, i see there is building on that parking lot located directly south of the Main Library. That looks awesome.

Very promesing potential.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 4:46 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

What is the green mass of buildings at the top right? I would guess it to be the 10 story Staybridge Suites hotel but I'm not sure what the other stuff is.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 8:52 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
What is the green mass of buildings at the top right? I would guess it to be the 10 story Staybridge Suites hotel but I'm not sure what the other stuff is.
Are you talking about the Staybridge Hotel in Sunset Station? If so then that's definitely not it. Sunset Station is to the far left side of this picture and outside of the frame.

By the way, the W Hotel looks quite tall. If the scale is right with these drawings, then it looks to be atleast 350 feet tall.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 4:59 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Hopefully we'll have good pedestrian connectivity to the riverwalk.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Are you talking about the Staybridge Hotel in Sunset Station? If so then that's definitely not it. Sunset Station is to the far left side of this picture and outside of the frame.
A 10-story Staybridge is also planned for the west end of downtown (I beleive it will be west of IH35).

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 6:12 PM

Cool...hopefully some highrises will be added to this project..

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 7:26 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
A 10-story Staybridge is also planned for the west end of downtown (I beleive it will be west of IH35).
Oh, ok. Cool. I have it listed also. Between Austin and San Antonio and it's hard to keep up with everything.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 9:02 PM

IH 37 is left in the picture. We are looking south toward downtown - less than a mile to Houston Street - in the foreground is the San Antonio Museum of Art. We are hovering over IH 35.

The tan color in the 200 acre River North area is existing. The block that includes DPT Labs isn't modeled in this perspective.

The foreground buildings abut IH 35, and there is an opportunity to argue for a variance to exceed the 120 foot height limit imposed by Rio-2, the river overlay affecting this area. The key will be to address view corridors from IH 37 going south.

I’m also hoping that through the RN master plan we can develop mass transit nodes that will allow additional height, and possibly River/Street intersections that will permit more density.

For the purposes of our model, the City has a downtown survey showing curb elevations, and building parapet elevations. Pretty accurate.

We did make one big decision to build flat. When we started this in 2005 Google Earth had no contours for San Antonio. But the relative height of the buildings is correct.

We are starting to build a model for Austin, and it will be done to contours. I believe it will help position us to become downtown planning experts there, and will help developers and the public sector work through the difficult issues of view corridors and height restrictions.

Sakyle, you can’t leave to SA now! How would I post graphics?

Jaga, the area top right of the picture is outside the River North District. It is a populated area, typically with single family historic homes. It will be hard to buy out multiple owners in a block, and impossible to demolish the historic structures. In fact, we shouldn’t. This will be a nice neighborhood eventually. A sort of King William, where we have San Antonio’s highest prices per square foot.

Complex, I think KSAT will eventually be sold and the site redeveloped into a mid rise with views of the old Catholic high schools across St Mary’s. St Mary’s will be a boulevard with 15’ + sidewalks and shading trees, benches, tables, fountains, public art. It may take 10-20 years, but I’m betting on it!

Certain blocks, like DPT Labs, will be more difficult because these historic buildings should be kept. Reuse is OK, demo typically not. You have a good eye to see what should have been shown as a red building. This 16 story residential tower on the River, immediately south of the library garage, fell through. But something will happen there, and our massing gives you a good idea of what will pass the restrictions.

Mass of green buildings top right, on the horizon, is the Santa Rosa Hospital complex. Probably two miles off.

Staybridge not shown. It would be left of the Tower of the Americas, (top left) to the east and across IH 37.

The $72 million River Improvement Project, which bisects RN, has substantial connectivity to street level, including ADA ramping.

Sorry for the long reply.

Now that I'm getting into this, I think I should have come up with a cool screen name. Opportunity missed!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio